1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us your knife mods!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by K1CKtheCHICKEN, May 23, 2013.

1. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Sure. I used Norland NOA61 optical adhesive.Super glue can work, but won't give you maximum optical pass-through (and it can cloud up over time).The NOA61 is used in professional optical applications. Typically tritium vials are added by gluing into slots. So in this case, the vials would just drop right through. I had to tape up one end, add NOA61, then submerge the vials. You need UV or direct sunlight to cure it.

Tony Sal and Gary Gross like this.
  2. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

I couldn't leave well enough alone and switched up my 940-2 and 943. Not sure if I'll leave it like this, but I'll wait awhile and it may grow on me. Now I have a 943-2?

[​IMG]

3. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

I am prolly not the first to address this topic. Anyway here is my take.

I don't know about other Spyderco blades but OOTB i don't agree with how edge and plunge line are ground, nearing the ricasso of the Paramilitary 2, Delica 4, and Endura 4 blade: that spot/area looks untidy, unclear, messy, complex, complicated to me, causing four issues A, B, C, and D. I never understood why it was ground like that:
    [​IMG]

The lack of a sharpening choil would be acceptable to me, if that problematic area had a primitive geometry. Primitive geometry is preferred if i want to resharpen every(!) millimeter of the edge conveniently and don't want to run into sharpening trouble sooner or later. In the end my concerns/efforts all boil down to preventing the development of a growing recurve section near the ricasso and not cutting into the edges (corners) of my expensive whetstones. This is can be achieved with a cleanly cut whetstone (like the Spyderco 302UF) as long as the geometry is as primitive:
    [​IMG]

On my PM2 i also added a mini choil. For an improved sharpening experience any blade imho should have either of the three alternatives:
    1. sharpening choil (for trouble-free sharpening)
    2. primitive geometry + sharpening choil (for trouble-free sharpening)
    3. primitive geometry (for best cutting performance)
    [​IMG]

I am for sure not the first to have done this reasonable mod! There are some reasons why other PM2 owners wouldn't do a similar mod:
    [​IMG]

On the Delica4 the questionable spot is on a smaller scale:
    [​IMG]

Loving the mod! No sharpening choil added:
    [​IMG]

Primitive geometry, yes please!
    [​IMG]

Have yet to do the mod on my Endura4 :rolleyes:

My el cheapo knives suffer from the exfac recurves near the ricasso too, so i applied the quick mod there erh too:
    [​IMG]

Similar photo, i only switched places of the two knives. My left eye sees better than the right:
    [​IMG]

The untouched knife's recurve does cut into the reactangule edges of the whetstone, so the mod was really necessary here. And if you avoid the recurved portion when sharpening, you only grow the recurved portion over time. I've experienced it.

I don't despise sharpening choils. But i do despise recurves!

Last edited by kreisler, Apr 6, 2019
    #3004 kreisler, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Ippon, xevious and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@kreisler: you and Nick Shabazz must be soul mates! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

kreisler likes this.
  6. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

@Moshe ben David i know his yt channel but wouldn't know about his opinion on that Spyderco problematic blade area/spot (ricasso). I do know that he uses KME guided system for sharpening.

7. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I think Moshe meant that our favourite knife geek on yt can be pretty nitpicking on details.

I guess that makes him a true collector ;)

Moshe ben David and kreisler like this.
  8. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

@Adahn ahh okok now i i understand the reference hehe. Nick Nitpicker Nice Name:happy:
    my knife collection is super small so it comes natural to me to focus on small but in practice noticeable quality deficits, for example all Spyderco 302-seriez whetstones are flat but not 100.0% flat across the entire 2D surface. this makes it impossible to sharpen a chef knife (with long straight section near the ricasso) to perfection. For PM2 and Delica4 and similar pocketknives with convex shaped blades (=blades with short straight sections and a slight belly elsewhere), the non-100.0% flatness doesn't matter because one can "roll off" the blade on the 3D surface, so most owners wouldn't notice or mind this neg detail.

ever since the mod, sharpening is so much more enjoyable and trouble-free
    :throwbash:

Yes, it will. I have an extreme example in the drawer, a super old kitchen knife which i didn't mod. One can still sharpen it with rods (like the 204UF which has rounded off edges) but it has become totally impossible to sharpen it on a flat whetstone which has sharp rectangular edges. The developed recurve has become huge by now!

#3008 kreisler, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Adahn likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Virtually every knife review he does he looks for a sharpening choil; if there isn't one or if it is notably small he calls it out. His thing is that in sharpening, the lack of a sharpening choil can over time lead to a bit of a recurve... as @kreisler has noted! Generally Nick won't label it as a major flaw but it is definitely on his personal check list!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Adahn and kreisler like this.
  10. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ran23, sl66ICEcuba, Lateck and 5 others like this.
  11. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

^ Nice! Are those the original scales or did you swap in carbon fiber ones?

12. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

2 weeks ago i paid 24.xxEUR for this chinese toy knife in sandblasted chitanium finish and chinese-D2 blade steel, years ago youtubers quoted 49USD for this outdated model, so i thought it is a nice price now. smooth action (ball bearings!), no blade play, fully centered, strong detents, frame lock at 25:75 (nice!!), primitive construction, no loctite, perfect fit, and scary sharp OOTB. the thick blade stock makes it a heavy-ish knife. the finish on the pocket clip, the handle, and the blade isn't strong, one could tell right away if a unit was pre-handled or used. anywho the only thing which really bugged me was the cutout of the frame lock. it catches on the brim of the inner pocket side, when you pull out the clipped knife. the mod was easy: simply fill in some hot glue, done.
    [​IMG]

I contented myself with the first attempt. I knew there would be minor spills along the cutout's edge:
    [​IMG]

Straight forward to cut clean with a razor blade:
    [​IMG]

Also cut clean the hot glue spill right at the cutout's exit:
    [​IMG]

The cutout has a hole, why? Some hot glue would spill through that hole too. Also functions as clot plug, how convenient for our purpose:
    [​IMG]

The hardened hot glue is level with the outside surface of the handle. Smooth. The cutout is gone and can't catch on anything anymore, nice mod:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the clot plug this harmless mod should last forever, under normal usage of the knife. And if i ever need to renew it, no problem, such an easy and fast and effective mod it was! Last but not least the total weight, including the mod and a paracord lanyard: 105g.
    Woah. :eek:

Lateck and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Yojimbo regrind.

Lateck and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

Those CF scales were made by me.

Adam Ng and Tony Sal like this.
  15. Tony Crawford

Tony Crawford Loaded Pockets

Blue titanium Pivot and screw. Blue Titanium screws and MXGGear blue titanium deep carry clip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Moshe ben David

@Tony Crawford: I'm also liking the blade shape with the 'spydie hole' on your knife! I chose the same for my Mini Grip!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I REALLY like this one, very clean!

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. Tony Crawford

Tony Crawford Loaded Pockets

Anyone replaced the bearings in a ZT 562? I was looking at a set ceramic bearings. Did it make any improvements? I can get a set of 50 for $10 online.

Tony Sal likes this.
  19. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

now that i got the authentic spyderco Techno 2, i repeated the mod. BEFORE the mod:
    [​IMG]

it took me like four times to achieve an acceptable result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after cutting off the excess hot glue, i'm good now. AFTER the mod:
    [​IMG]

see the new clip lip and my clean chamfer cuts:
    [​IMG]

poor photo, looks better in reality:
    [​IMG]

ditto:
    [​IMG]

a shoutout to the US dealer White Mountain Knives who provided affordable international shipping and a coupon code on this item. the techno has become my #1 preferred EDC knife (apart from the Utilizer knife).

20. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

I am unfamiliar with this mod ( & knife). What is the purpose of the hot glue?

kreisler and Tony Sal like this.