1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us your budget knives.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Hertz33, Feb 10, 2015.

1. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ontario Utilitac II- These are really great knives for the money...IMO.
    [​IMG]

2. Swatsonia

Swatsonia Loaded Pockets

Quick quarter turn should do the trick, adjust and play with as necessary until it feels good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdurt, LordByron and Viper101 like this.
  3. Italico

Italico Loaded Pockets

4. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Nice knife and great polished edge!

kdurt, Sriracha and Italico like this.
  5. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

Hey thanks!

kdurt likes this.
  6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

7. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't consider knives like the Tenacious or Ladybug as cheap personally, in fact, the Ladybug is a pretty expensive knife for the size imo, at least over here in the EU. Opinels are always good options imo, as are Condor knives & the Moras just to name a few.

This was my EDC knife when I first got on this forum a couple of years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's made by Tekut, AUS8 blade steel and has an axis lock & micarta scales (although small ones). I bought this in the cutest little knife store in Lunenberg, Germany (visit it if you're in the neighborhood, it's a great little store ran by a father & his two sons who'll go out of there way to help anyone if they can) in 2010 I believe, for only €16,-. I also bought two more (with a different color scales) for two friends of mine who still carry theirs today. It's a bit heavy though, and there's no clip.

Other then that I have a few Mora's (hook knife, 106 & a Companion), & this fellow was pretty cheap for what you get as well imo:

[​IMG]
    Cold Steel Magnum Kukri machete

My Bats were pretty cheap as well come to think of it:

[​IMG]

I think I paid around €45,- for the pair including shipping, even though Böker's MSRP is almost €60,- according to their website, (which is a ridiculous price for any knife with 8Cr13Mov steel imo).

edit: I thought of two more, the Victorinox Bakers knife:

[​IMG]

and the Svord mini peasant:

[​IMG]

Ignore the photo-bombs by the Alox Classic please, it kinda wants to be in this thread too but it's also too expensive for what it is imo.

Last edited by Here Comes The BOOM, Feb 14, 2015
    kdurt, gemini, Adahn and 6 others like this.
  8. Italico

Italico Loaded Pockets

9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Today’s bit of unnecessary info: the font in which the words “third world” are printed is an interpretation of Neuland by Rudolf Koch. :)

Italico and Sriracha like this.
  10. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Does budget choppers also count? I won't take an expensive knife out in the woods to beat on, when a 20 dollar machete will actually do a better job. I'm all about budget cutlery. I used to be a knife snob, with a Randall collection and high end folders. Then one day I looked around at it all, and asked myself what the heck was I doing with it all? Sold it all off and now just use stuff I can just toss in the trash can if I break it and walk away, nevr looking back. Took the money from selling the Randalls and the better half and I took a month long road trip to go camping in all the National Parks. Yellowstone, Custer, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde. Has a ball, and the memories will last a lifetime. Now I use an Opinel and a Ontario 12 inch machete, and I'm happy.

[​IMG]

DevotedD84, Stutz, kdurt and 7 others like this.
  11. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

12. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

13. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Your Harley Davidson knife reminds me of a China cheapo I got from a friend. It's really made cheap but it's the only automatic knife I own and it's legal here, too (max 5cm blade, max total length 12cm).
    [​IMG]

The Sanrenmu M1 is a great budget folder, too, while it was available it was $12. Double detent non-locking knife like the Benchmite. The only drawback is the tip-down clip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The RAT 2 was $27 but the PPC Occam was around €50 IIRC, not what I'd call a budget knife considering it's a friction folder and one of 50 pieces produce in cocobolo wood (250 in total with the other handle materials).

15. 8steve88

8steve88 Loaded Pockets

That M1 is a lovely knife, I have a couple of them along with their newly released model, the 9051.
    [​IMG]

I have a hundred or so Chinese knives, I collect them. Don't know where to start really. :)

[​IMG]
    Buy an Enlan EL-01, buy a washer set, combine the two and you have a knife the equal of knives that cost a lot more than the $17 or so that the Enlan and washers cost. The washers (phosphor bronze) are a luxury and not really needed the knife as bought is a classic budget knife.

One of my latest purchases is the Ganzo G720-OR.
    [​IMG]
    A lot of knife for $24.

If you want to get real low cost virtually unbreakable knives then try Hultafors fixed blade knives I've had the green handled Heavy Duty for a few years, the yellow handled Chisel Knife, not chisel ground, I bought last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both have 3mm Japanese carbon steel blades, cost about $10 each delivered.

One of the most underrated SanRenMu knives, the GB-704, under $10 delivered.
    [​IMG]

SanRenMu LB763, aluminium scales, other versions are available, they now come in a variety of colours and choice of Axis style lock or linerlock. The shape keeps cropping up in SanRenMu and Real Steel knives.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Axis style lock on the 763's and 7063's is the best version that they make, out of Ganzo and Enlan, some higher end ones might be as good or better but we are talking $15 knives here.

If you shop in a couple of Chinese online stores then cheap inexpensive knives abound.
    As I live in the U.K. these are all illegal to carry, luckily SanRenMu make sub 3" slipjoints for the Chinese home market, there are several that use their clever détente ball mechanism like on the M1 and 9051, there are other options as I buy quite a few of the lesser known Chinese brands.

16. Idox

Idox Banned

Here are my budget knives from the beginning of collecting knives

[​IMG]

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I own that Ganzo, too and soon I'll post some pics of it in the short version with uglified blade :p

kdurt and Idox like this.
  18. Idox

Idox Banned

When I received it, the pivot was terrible. I grinded and polished a lot and now it's very smooth. But I've never carried it.

kdurt and Adahn like this.
  19. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Yeah, it's looking nice and for me the Axis lock was smooth right away but it's way too bulky and heavy for it's size. I skelletonized it a bit and shortened the handle and learned that the Ganzo steel is only made for slight sonewashing, after some minutes it wouldn't get etched as usual but the first layer of the steel would come off in flakes...

kdurt and Idox like this.
  20. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

So I went on a budget knife buying spree the last couple months to find a suitable knife to keep in each of my bags. Kershaw Cryo, Ontario Rat 1, and Spyderco Tenacious were purchased, as well as Mora Companion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off, let me state I love the Mora Companion. I now have three (one in each of my Rush 12s and one that is going in my Rush 24). I've also bought one for a friend and another friend bought one for himself immediately after I showed him mine. It comes razor sharp and will literally shave the hair off your arm with no pressure.

Now on to the folders. The Cryo was the first purchase and based off all the raving reviews and the fact I love my Kershaw Blackout I bought two Cryos right off the bat (one for each of my Rush 12s). When it was delivered I was sorely disappointed. Using the thumbstud is plain unsafe IMO and it literally starts hurting your thumb trying to disengage the lock to fold it back into place. It was also a great deal smaller than I had anticipated; not the fault of the knife as I just didn't get a firm grasp of size until after I bought and it shipped. It's simply not the knife for me. Both will be given away when/if the situation presents itself.

So then I moved onto purchasing an Ontario Rat 1. No qualms about smaller size on this knife, that's for sure. This is a tank of a folder and I have faith it could take plenty of abuse and keep on chugging. In the end, happy with my purchase and I will find a use for it, but doesn't seem to fit exactly what I was looking for in terms of an EDC bag knife.

Last but not least, the Spyderco Persistence was purchased. I'll state off the bat, Spyderco is not my favorite brand. I didn't like it at all originally. Eventually decided to give a Spyderco Salt 1 a chance because of the H1 steel. Liked the cutting capability of the knife, but realized quickly I absolutely cannot EDC a Spyderco on person. The humpback spydie hole drives me absolutely crazy in pocket. So it was with slight trepidation I made my Tenacious purchase. But I reasoned that it will sit in my EDC bag so my main issue with Spyderco knives will not be a factor in that use. Verdict upon receiving the Tenacious: this is it. This will now be my EDC folder I keep in each of my Rush 12s. The size was what I was looking for, the ergonomics in hand work well for me, love the blade shape, and G10 handle material is pretty cool. My only qualm with this knife is that it came slightly dull. That surprised the heck out of me since my Salt I was the sharpest out of the box folder I've ever had. I'll be ordering a second Tenacious in the near future since I have two bags. Hopefully that one will come razor sharp.

I know this is a picture thread but figured this was a good place to post my thoughts/experiences with my recent budget purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Italico, Stutz, kdurt and 4 others like this.