1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us What Fountain Pens You're EDCing!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, May 18, 2014.

1. Rockslide

Rockslide Loaded Pockets

I would definitely recommend getting one or the other. I don't know much about the decimo but from what I understand, it is more or less the same design, thinned out and lightened up a little. Is that right? Either way, you'll end up with a good pen I suspect. When I first saw the VP I wasn't overly fond of it. A fountain pen without a cap seemed odd to me and I figured the clip would always be in the way when sketching. I also wasn't a big fan of the long clicker on it. The pen just looked odd and impractical.

However, when my folks gifted me the VP last year and I got it in my hands, it started to grow on me pretty fast. I have found that it requires no real maintenance to keep it flowing, just repeated water flushes between ink changes. The Vac on the other hand seems to need constant fiddling to keep the ink flowing.

The VP is definitely my fave at the mo. It always works and there is no cap to be constantly dropping (I don't like working with a posted cap). I haven't found the clip to be in the way and the looks of it have grown on me. I love the yellow, kinda retro-y in such a newfangled design.

2. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

The pen at the top of my wishlist at the moment is a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 SFM (I'd actually love a CH92 with a SFM, but they don't come with the soft nibs...). But the VP/Capless/Decimo isn't far behind.

You are right that Decimo is basically a slimmed down version of the VP.

3. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

4. nikao

nikao Loaded Pockets

Lamy AL-Star

[​IMG]

Heywood Floyd and A144 like this.
  5. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

6. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Hey, Bullet08, don't I know you from somewhere? You look very familiar and I never forget a Lego, wait, I got it, FPN.

Honestly, I did recognize your avatar.

7. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i use same avatar on all the forums that i go to. so it's easy to recognize me. lol

8. nicknack171

nicknack171 Loaded Pockets

I got this Jinhao 599 in the mail yesterday so I used it to take notes today. Liking it so far.
    [​IMG]

bluedevil76 and A144 like this.
  9. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

10. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Nothing new for me this week, but I did recommend an EDC pen to Nathan Fillion...

[​IMG]

Rockslide, murrydan, foxmo and 4 others like this.
  11. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i'm more or less satisfied with what i have now.. there are few i want to try, but running out of any urgent desire to buy a new pen. my next pen will be the pen that i have, but reworked to make it better. i really like Parker 51, but as it is now, it's pouring out ink.

as to my current edc, i have Kaweco Classic Sport in EF in my pocket. i tried carrying Lamy Safari, but that thing keeps falling out of my pocket.

[​IMG]

Inner Prop, A144 and Replete like this.
  12. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Top is a Pilot Metro with a F nib and filled with Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses

Bottom is a Pilot Prera with a 1.1 stub and filled with Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black. Nib came from a Pilot Plumix.

I've been using this combo for several weeks and it is working good for me. The BSiER is the daily writing pen. The color doesn't bother anyone. I'll use the Prera for legal and other important paperwork.

A144 likes this.
  13. survivaleverydaycarry

survivaleverydaycarry Loaded Pockets

anyone have a Fountain Pen that would be good for a newbie that they would like to sell? I am interested in getting my feet wet in the fountain, but don't have any place nearby that I can try one out to see if I would enjoy writing with one, or which one I would prefer. I am currently writing in Field Notes with a custom made Ball Point (cross refill) that some recovering at risk youth made out of walnut and brass.

14. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Search for Goulet Pens on the web. Great place for getting started with Fountain Pens. Pilot Metros are only $15. Depending on sales tax for you area, you are looking around $20 including tax and shipping. It is a great starter pen. There are some cheaper ones out there, but the Metro has a nice weight and balance to it.

15. survivaleverydaycarry

survivaleverydaycarry Loaded Pockets

16. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I'd second the Pilot Metro recommendation from landwire

I've got a couple of them an love them. I'd suggest the Medium nib to start. It's about equivalent to many western brands' Fine nibs.

17. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Carried the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 SFM today. It's currently loaded with J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune.

[​IMG]

bullet08 likes this.
  18. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

If you want to go even less money than the Metropolitan, I recommend the Pilot Petit1. Mine is a very smooth writer and never stutters when it has been unused for a long period of time. Good variety of color cartridges as well, and the pens are only $3.80 on jetpens.

surefire7 likes this.
  19. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Pilot Metal Falcon in a NockCo Fodderstack.

20. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

I agree about the Pilot Metro. Great pen for the price point. The Pilot Varsity is an inexpensive "disposable" option, that you can usually find at Office Depot or Walmart.... They arent the best newbie pen out there, but it might be a more easily obtained pen to get and idea of what Fountain Pens are like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

survivaleverydaycarry likes this.