1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us What Fountain Pens You're EDCing!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, May 18, 2014.

1. Sghian

Sghian Empty Pockets

Couple of new ones. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

It looks like the E.D.C. pocket organizer. SKU: 0246

3. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^^
    Really nice!

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

4. IGetov

IGetov Loaded Pockets

Hi guys,

Wanna ask something about ink. How fast do you run out of ink, in turms of standart ink cartrage?
    I am having Lamy Safari and was using T10 refills, but I have never written a whole cartridge straight. Now I wanna start writing with foutanin pen everyday and bought some regular Jinhao ink cartridges on E*bay. I have written with one of this cartriges for 2 days now and saw that is around half way empty.
    Ink is nice, the color is very nice blue, but I'm just starting with fountain pens and ink and my opinion means squad. (far away from expert in this area)
    So, how lon

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

When I used a pen which took cartridges, my solution was to:

- switch to a converter (cartridges are expensive)
    - use an ink which was available in both bottles and cartridges (Sheaffer's Blue)
    - carry a couple of spare cartridges

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You are taking risks using anything but Lamy cartridges with your Safari. Why? Lamy designs both the pen feed and the cartridges so that they are uniquely fitted to each other. Yes, you MAY get a cartridge to fit. You MAY also find yourself with a leaky pen in your pocket as a consequence!

You see, there is such a thing as an 'international standard' cartridge; many pen manufacturers design their pens to use these. Lamy does not. For that matter, Pilot also have a proprietary design ink cartridge; as does Parker.

In the case of Parker, there are others who design their pens to use the Parker cartridge, especially Waterman -- which isn't surprising given that Parker and Waterman have a common corporate parent.

If you really want maximum flexibility and economy in terms of ink, as has been suggested above, buy a 'converter'. Lamy makes and sells one through retailers that is intended to fit the Safari/Al-Star/Vista pens. Having a converter will allow you to buy ink by the bottle -- most economical.

Enjoy

Moshe ben David

Adam Ng likes this.
  8. IGetov

IGetov Loaded Pockets

Thank you Moshe, useful tip as usual. Although I'm gonna spend some more....Will try to find a converter localy.
    I have some 5 or 6 Jinhao pens coming so Jinhao refills will deffinately be used.
    Jinhao cartriges are with smaller diameter than the Lamy T10 refills in the area where the feeder enters the cartrige. I needed to cut the cartridge with pliers and make it fit.
    So ink..What di you use ? I've read the fountain pen forum, watched a bunch of videos on youtube - Iroshizuku looks very nice, ti is afordable to me but stilled haven't ordred any. That waiting on e*bay delivery is killing me here. How long does it take to use a 50 ml ink ? Approximately...
    Oh, while I'm at it, I have another question. I've read here in the forum somewhere about Hero fountain pens. Some model 300 and something i believe it was. Years ago. before I didn't even remotly know what EDC is or knew what good pen is, etc. I filled mine Hero pen with stamp ink. It was fairly leaking. I tried to find over the internet is it the pen that is leaking (cause it is cheep pen after all) or my huge mistake with the ink was causing this.
    I'm gonna buy bottle ink and give it a chance once more but if someone could advise me on that I may be able to spare the ink and not bother giving that second chance to the Hero pen.

9. Moshe ben David

@IGetov: There are myriads of inks available. And almost as many opinions, likes, dislikes, etc.

I urge you to focus on inks identified as intended for fountain pens whilst you are gaining experience. You will be much less frustrated and will enjoy your pens more.

For a good discussion of inks, I point you towards a website from Richard Binder, who is well known in the pen community as a 'nibmeister'. Richard is now semi-retired, but his website is a wealth of knowledge: http://www.richardspens.com . A listing of articles of background information on his website is under the heading "Extra Fine Points: Index". PLUS absolutely take a look at the technical background info in the section "Index to Reference Pages".

Pay special attention to his thoughts on ink since that is today's point of discussion. Searching his website for "ink" will bring you to an essay entitled: Inks: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I have based my ink usage on this essay.

As a good starting point, Waterman inks tend to be a bit more free flowing or 'wetter'. Pelikan inks tend to be a bit less and hence 'dryer'. My experience is Lamy inks lean towards the characteristics of Pelikan. The point of this is that with a new pen, if you have both a Waterman bottle of ink and a Pelikan bottle of ink on hand, you can evaluate how the pen best works out for YOU, on the type of paper you want to use, by experimenting with these two as a start.

I also have quite a number of Japanese pens in my stable -- primarily Pilot. Pilot pens have IMHO, great nibs, and perform well with a variety of inks; but I am especially partial (for these pens and even non-Japanese pens) to ink from Pilot-Namiki.

I hope this will be useful to you. Feel free to buzz me via PM if needed. Check out Richard Binder's website and his essays.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Last edited by Moshe ben David, Mar 28, 2017
    #589 Moshe ben David, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    IGetov likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

@IGetov: Another thought for you. If you are really curious enough about fountain pens and other writing instruments, papers, journals, inks, etc etc, you can find like-minded obsessed individuals on the Fountain Pen Network: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com

I will warn you though: even though here on edcf we ALL take pride at being 'enablers' in terms of gear acquisition etc., you ain't seen nuthin yet! Spend some time at Fountain Pen Network. LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

surefire7 and WillAdams like this.
  11. IGetov

IGetov Loaded Pockets

Moshe, come on! Have mercy on my wallet!

sent from my UFO, flying around outher space

12. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yep, I couldn't resist until I had one of every colour (see my avatar over on FPN).

Still collected a bit --- eventually worked up to an Esterbrook Deluxe SM (the later version with threaded cap --- kind of wish I'd gotten the slip fit one as well), and have a bunch of pens I need to find time and inclination, or the financial wherewithal to restore. But I've pretty much stopped buying --- even turned down an incredible bargain on the Extremely Big AuctionY site (and am now regretting it, but am _not_ going to go see if it's still there).

Worst thing is I lucked into what I hope is my grail pen, an Aurora Hastil, and it's currently out having the nib reground to a crisp italic --- (to see the previous pen I had this done to search for "Sheaffer Agio italic" on your favourite search engine) --- still waiting, and getting anxious about it. Still incredibly annoyed about the Sheaffer Agio not working out, and keep it on my nightstand 'cause I can't bear to not have it. One of these days I'm going to dismantle a Sheaffer Agio cap and see what would be involved in fashioning an inner cap which will grip the plastic section and not wear it down, but will grip reliably for longer than 2--3 years.

IGetov likes this.
  13. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

Just got the kaweco sport brass tonight after using the kaweco sport classic for a couple of weeks. Great little pen for edc

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Safetyfast

Safetyfast Loaded Pockets

Just picked up this Kaweco Lilliput to ride in my pocket as back up for my usual vintage pen that is in my shirt pocket. It writes very nicely for a steel nib. Fine nib is a bit wider than anticipated. [​IMG]

15. Moshe ben David

This is the fountain pen I usually edc:

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    This was a Limited Edition Pilot brought out in 2009 or so; basically a reissue of a pen from 1971. As you can see from the pics I 'borrowed' from JetPens, the nib is integral to the barrel and so is rather stiff. However, I can attest that it writes as smooth as any other Pilot nib with zero drying out issues in the feed!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. soundlessnut

Still carrying this kaweco, extremely smooth and addictive. Of course I'll also be carrying it tomorrow for international Fountain pen day

[​IMG]

17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That's one good looking pen!

I have the regular Sport. And it's just about the only fountain pen I dare to pocket carry.

Just out of curiosity: isn't the brass version a bit on the heavy side?

18. soundlessnut

It is quite heavy but that's what I prefer, I wanted it originally but thought I'd try the sport classic first before I spent more on the brass version.
    To me it's a good weight

sungame likes this.
  19. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Happy Fountain Pen Day!

I'm always carrying my Kaweco AL Sport mostly because I don't have a clip and it was a gift from my wife and I mislaid it a few times and in order to prove how much I appreciate the gift I keep it in my left front pants pocket at all times.

I'm also rocking a Pilot Metro medium nib with Noodler's Liberty Elysium blue.

PS - I know this is a PICTURE thread, I wanted to wish everyone a happy FPD and don't have access to put pics on. Mea culpa, please forgive me.

20. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Thats my Dreampen!Burdundy P51 with chrometrim