1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show us and tell us about your Barkies (Bark River Knives)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JonSidneyB, Feb 27, 2009.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Show us and tell us about your Barkies (Bark River Knives)

2. 2xTap

2xTap Empty Pockets

I only have a few.........

[​IMG]

Top to Bottom:

Lil' Chute in Red Linen Micarta
    High Plains Hunter in Red Linen Micarta
    Snowy River in Blue Glow G-10
    Mountaineer in Blue Glow G-10
    Mini Northstar in Dark Curly Maple
    Micro Slither in Red Linen Micarta

All six are in 12C27 Sandvik stainless. Can't say enough about them. Mike and the guys at BRK&T make one hell of a knife, quality materials and excellent sheaths. And their full convex blades are the sharpest in my collection....these things are beyond scary sharp. Add to that their no-:censored: warranty and flawless fit and finish and you got some of the Best!

My only complaint is I never have enough money to buy more......hoping to have enough left over from my income tax check to pick up a Bravo-1 SS.

2xTap

3. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

I only have photos of my PSK and Aurora that I took durring the summer so far, but I will hopefully be able to take some of the rest soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the Aurora:
    When I first got the Aurora I was not very impressed with the slicing ability because of the thickness of the blade. I find it makes a great heavier use outdoors knife. It is fairly large when compared to the Northstar or Fox river but the extra size makes it easier to use hard.

I have split quite a bit of wood over the last year or so in order to get campfires started and it just laughs at the abuse lol. The handle is quite comfortable in many different grips.

It can be hard to choose between the different knives BRKT has that fufill this same need. If I had to choose again I'm still not sure which one I would pick. i have a friend who has quite a collection of Barkies so I have handled many. The Northstar and Canadian Special are both comprable knives. The northstar is a good deal lighter and it feels faster in the hand, even though the blade profiles are the same and a very similar length. The canadian special is shorter but still feels very stout.

When I first got my aurora I kind of regretted picking it, but the more I use it the more confident I am that I made the correct decision... in the very least I will pick up another knife to augment the aurora... perhaps keeping the larger handled aurora for cold weather outdoor excursions and getting a northstar for a lighter, summer carry.

On the PSK:
    I find the light weight combined with thin blade to be an ideal neck knife. It slices like no other knife I have, even better than my Spyderco Caly III... which is no slouch in that regard. The thin handle makes it sit well when around my neck and it cuts down on the weight but its width still makes it very comfortable in the hand and to use.
    The kydex sheath does tend to slightly scratch the blade, but that is no big deal to me as it is a good user knife. I picked up a Mikro Canadian Sheath to piggyback my PSK on my aurora but it does not fit the PSK very well and I don't use it. Apparently they are developing another sheath to be used with some of the smaller knives, I'm sure Jon will have info when it gets released.

Just to note I also have a Fox River, Mikro Canadian, EDC Seax, and Pro Scalpel II so I will try to snap some pictures and write some small blurbs for those knives in the near future.

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Here's mine, a Mikro Slither with green canvas micarta. I got it about two and a half years ago. I love it. My next one was going to be a Mikro Canadian with mesquite burl (thinking of the mesquite trees in my native Texas), and then I saw the Mini North Star. So I believe that will be the next one.

This is my avatar. The knife is sharp, and some of the notes I hit on the fiddle are, too. :laugh:

[​IMG]

5. MFS1589

MFS1589 Loaded Pockets

I think they are visually very beautiful knives but, a down side for me is how slick the handles are.

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I just opened up a box with one in it to check the grip. The handle is smooth but the grip feels very firm to me. I can't imagine it sliding while in use.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I can't speak too much for other handle materials but the reason Micarta has quickly become my handle material of choice is because polished Micarta is smooth to the touch without being slick or slippery. It is also very hard and strong, making it very difficult to damage. When you have wet or damp hands it seems to increase grippiness.

8. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I've not found it to be slippery at all. Fits my hand very well for such a small knife.

9. 2xTap

2xTap Empty Pockets

Can't say I found any of mine slick per say, even with sweaty hands. Although none of mine have seen any heavy use. But I do know from experience the smoother the handle material the less likelyhood of blisters when really giving such knives a workout.

2xTap

10. oldways

oldways Empty Pockets

I would post pix of some of mine but I cant figure how.

11. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Welcome to EDCF, oldways! Check out thislink on posting pictures in the forum.

12. oldways

oldways Empty Pockets

Thank you for the welcome.

I saw the post on KF BRKT forum and thought I would come over and show a few Barkies.

The pic posting method is over the head of this old country boy.

13. 2xTap

2xTap Empty Pockets

Hey oldways, good to see you here. Posting picks by using a picture hosting site is quite easy......I use Imageshack. Give it a try, if I can do it anyone can do it!

2xTap

14. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

just ordered me a Pro Scalpel from our own J.S. Burly's!

anybody got a napkin whilst i drool at the mailbox for the next few days?

pics to follow!

15. mkphc

mkphc Loaded Pockets

antique ivory micarta
    [​IMG]
    Antique ivorymicarta/ turquoise spacers
    [​IMG]
    Black canvas Gameskeeper
    [​IMG]

The first pic is of my first brkts, a mini canadian, mikro canadian, and a mikro slither
    until i figured out how to carry the mini comfortably i used the mikros, but now they don't get much time in the rotation, awesome knives in their own right.

next I got into the turquoise thing, and now a littlr too much , like butterschotch, last is the gameskeeper, a perfect balance and do it all knife!

16. jschmitt

jschmitt Empty Pockets

Here is my 2nd try at posting some pictures!!
    [​IMG]
    Bark River Big Horn Sheep Huntsman
    [​IMG]
    One of my favorite EDC's BR Mini North Star with a horizontal kydex sheath
    [​IMG]
    Awesome chopper BR Golok with plumeria cuttings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another great EDC the BR 'Lil Cimarron in a KSF Pocket Sheath

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

What exactly is plumeria?

18. jschmitt

jschmitt Empty Pockets

Hi Jon,
    Thanks for the invite over. I hope your guys don't get tired of the pictures.
    Plumeria is the plant that they use the flowers to make Leis out of .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The plants can get quite large!!

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I never get tired of pictures ;D

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. TwinBlade

TwinBlade Empty Pockets

I may have 1 or 2 to post. This thread will grow substantially by weeks end. ;)