1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show RESPECT & Old Gear, for Dads, Granddads, Family, or Friends

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by snowkiwi, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was my grampa's. He was part of the Taiwanese army :)

sino2, Nick4305, snowkiwi and 8 others like this.
  2. F.Todd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

F.Todd Loaded Pockets

Some of my Grandfathers knives. (except for the Xikar and lockback)

[​IMG]

My grandfather S&W Baby Russian

[​IMG]

His knife from WWII

[​IMG]

I also have his purple heart and awards.

Rusty412, M4Lki3r, Nick4305 and 10 others like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Gilatabar and F. Todd, thank you for your granddads' service in the cause of Freedom!

F.Todd, Nick4305, snowkiwi and 3 others like this.
  4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I wish I had more of his gear but my family there threw most of it away :(

Nick4305, snowkiwi, Brtsmpsn and 2 others like this.
  5. Cobra 6 Actual

Unfortunately, that is all too common, Gilatabar.

6. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

Our stuff will be thrown away, too, sooner or later.

7. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I guess, yeah :( But if I ever have kids, I'll educate them about knives, tools, and general doing-stuff-by-yourself

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Yeah, I'm pretty much OK with that, BlueTrain and Gilatabar. But I've cautioned my children and grandchildren that if they ever sell or give away my personal medals and badges that I WILL come back to haunt them!

Nick4305, snowkiwi, Brtsmpsn and 3 others like this.
  9. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

Sometimes what we receive is more of a burden than anything else. All we can do with it is hang on to it and pass it along to the next generation, if there is one. On the other hand, it can be a little irritating when sets and other things that belong together are broken up and handed off to different people. I have some pre-WWI web equipment that belonged to a relative of a relative of a relative. The original owner was in the army in WWI as an officer and was later headmaster of a boy's school in (I think) Winchester, Virginia. But someone else has his sword.

10. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I had the same burden and gave it some thought. What I wanted was items to stay together and not be locked behind glass frames. I came up with an idea of a living museum and time capsule and memorial all rolled into one. I wanted my sons and grandsons to be able to know my dad and his story through the items he touched. I gathered his uniform shirt, pants, coat, garrison hat, crusher hat, tie, medals ribbons, wings, rank insignia, security passes, I.D. Cards, dog tags, ration cards, MOS school records, DD-214, squadron pictures...you get the picture. The old man never threw anything away. I found shot record cards, laundry slips, gate liberty passes DOPP kit items, enough stuff that you would think he just walked away for a few minutes to get something from another room.
    Anyway, I put together a complete kit in a 1941 aviator B4 suitcase. It's a living history, the kids can open it up, handle the items, ask questions and it all stay together. I keep it in the closet so they can get it whenever they want. When I'm gone they can continue the tradition. Made me think that before long I need to take my CIA garmet bag and build mine to pass down to them.

Nick4305, snowkiwi, Brtsmpsn and 3 others like this.
  11. Cobra 6 Actual

Very, very cool idea, Nick! I have some of that same thing with my military stuff. It's all in an issue footlocker. On the other hand, badges and medals are in a frame (yes, I'll admit they are behind glass.). One thing I have learned is to put a copy of your DD-214 in an envelope behind the frame ... I see you've done something similar by placing it in the B-4 suitcase.

Since one of my sons served in the same law enforcement agency as I did, now that he's retired we have a frame with our ID cards, retirement badges, and millennium badges (our careers briefly overlapped ... that was scary).

I have helped some of my older relatives and friends gather their military stuff together. Sometimes you succeed; sometimes not. One guy was a WWII vet who had landed at Normandy and fought all through France before being wounded. He had photos of the liberation of Paris with him being kissed by numerous pretty girls. All of this stuff was in a couple of cardboard boxes in his basement. The most I could get him to do was to label the boxes and put a copy of his discharge papers in each. I could not convince him that this was important to our history. He kept saying "nobody wants to see this stuff." Unfortunately, that is an all too common belief.

One thing I suggest to all who have relatives who served in the U.S. Military is to obtain copies of their complete military service records from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). If you look up that site it will explain the forms, etc. The records request goes to different agencies, depending on what service the person served in. Also, there was a huge fire in 1973 that destroyed a lot of Army and Air Force Records from 1912 to about 1960. The site also notes that all of the Southern States have maintained military records, some more complete than others, of the Civil War (what we in the South call "The War of Northern Aggression") service of those who wore the Gray.

The other thing on that site is how to obtain a replacement set of medals if you are the veteran or the immediate family. My Dad was a Naval Officer in WWII and that is how I got a set of his medals. The cost was less than $20.

Through using the NPRC and the State of Virginia we were able to collect records on our entire family from the Civil War forward. Although paper isn't as impressive as actual objects; having the explanatory paper makes a world of difference. I know that the UK has similar military records retrieval, I think through the Imperial War Museum. Get the paper, too, folks!

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Mar 7, 2015
    sino2, Nick4305, snowkiwi and 4 others like this.
  12. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I always joked that my mellinneum and my super bowl badges would end up on the garage sale table for fifty cents each cause nobody cared. It is nice to hear other agencies did mellinneum badges.

13. Cobra 6 Actual

I think there were a slew of federal, state, and municipal LEO agencies that did them, Nick ... I think even some fire departments had them made.

I hear what you mean about kids undervaluing the inherent family history worth of badges as well; worse case, is their resale value as just 'things on eBay.'

14. Cobra 6 Actual

COLD WAR RECOGNITION CERTIFICATE

If you or your immediate family served during the Cold War in the American government in a federal military or civilian capacity during the period from 1945 to 1991, that National Personnel Records Center site I mentioned a few posts ago has a link that takes you to a US Army site (the Army was tasked as the lead agency on this, regardless of your actual branch of service). On there it explains how to get a free official Cold War Recognition Certificate from the US Government.

Again, if you're compiling your family's military or civilian federal service history, this is a cool thing to get. We did our entire family and ended up with certificates for both my wife's and my parents, my wife and I, and both of our sons. No financial value, but to me it ties our entire family more tightly together in with a bigger cause.

15. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

This was my dad's knife that he carried through his younger years. He was born in 1932 and bought this knife in '40 with money that he earned working on the farm. I can't begin to imagine all the rabbit and squirrel this old knife skinned. Dad came from a big family, Grandma told me that if he didn't like what she was cooking he would often go kill, clean and eat something else by himself. He mostly preferred to be alone, so do I.

The knife got left behind when Dad left to serve in the Korean War. Grandma hung on to it and gave it back to dad sometime before she passed away around 1990. Dad gave it to me a few years later.

[​IMG]

sino2, Rusty412, snowkiwi and 3 others like this.
  16. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but thanks to everyone who has shared. Lots of great stories!

17. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

This is awesome. I did something very similar with my grandfather's medals and cap brass.

18. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Just spent an enjoyable hour catching up the last few pages, reading all your stories. And a "like fest" as you say Cobra 6 Actual. Thank you all for sharing.

BlueTrain: I know what you mean about our guys relationship with the other side. I remember my Granddad, British Army, on the very odd occasions we could get him to talk about WWII he had a certain respect for the other side. He said one thing I remember when recounting passing a line of prisoners:
    " the poor buggers looked bedraggled , covered in muck. A sorry lot they were, but just following orders like us. We'd give them a fag (cigarettes) and that would brighten them up a bit"

Sent from my iPad-mini using Tapatalk inside a nice warm hobbit hole - now my cave ... The 2 delicious hobbits weren't using it anymore.

19. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I will have to add that hardly all veterans felt that way about the other side. Not everyone had the same experiences and many never got over it, which is understandable. There is a great deal of hate in battle and warfare. It's going to be that way in a fight. Anyone who's ever been in any kind of fight should understand that. It's that way even if you understand that the man on the other side is going through the same thing. I don't wish to give the wrong picture of how men feel.

The thing about cigarettes is interesting. In wartime photos, cigarettes are almost everywhere, sometimes you'll spot them in formation or in posed group photos.

20. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Yeah my Granddad saw friends drop on either side of him. So his pragmatic and apparently respectful outlook was likely due to a combination of being on the "winning" side, his own strong character and many decades of time healing.

Almost everyone I knew in my granddad and mothers generation smoked. Cigarettes and drugs or even poisons have been commonplace at times throughout history. I'm sure a 100 years ago they used to put Radon in breakfast cereals for "added power" :(

Sent from my iPad-mini using Tapatalk inside a nice warm hobbit hole - now my cave ... The 2 delicious hobbits weren't using it anymore.