1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show off your Leatherman Mods

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ferris209, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Well done.

2. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Love that little bro!

3. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

Lots of great mods! The hacksaw blade mod is a totally new idea to me, very cool! Does the blade still maintain enough rigidity to be effective?
    How did you cut it out? Love that you incorporated an USB stick in there, but i guess the tool is a bit heavy to support it while its plugged in to a drive, or do you use a cable?

4. LittleBrother

LittleBrother Empty Pockets

The hacksaw blade is strong enough for light duty stuff. I use it for Aluminum and plastic, or other similar thin stock when i want a finer cut the the regular saw. to cut it out I just drilled out a series of holes then filed out the rest.

The tool is to heavy for the USB to support, but i use it mostly with my laptop where it just sits flat on the table. If i have to use it with a descktop (which is rare) i just hold it or prop it up with something (usually my nalgene).

Both work really well for me but might not work for everyone. Thanks for the questions.

Montetobuso likes this.
  5. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

Think i need to get me that hakcsaw mod.. :)

6. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

Tell me more about the hacksaw blade.

jolico likes this.
  7. LittleBrother

The hacksaw blade is just a regular hacksaw blade. I picked a high tooth count because i knew i would only be cutting light stuff with it. I cut it to about two and a half inches long, drilled holes down the center that were just a little bit bigger then the spacer, then used a file to remove the rest. Also i put the teeth in a pull configuration because the blade has some play in it and if you are cutting on the push it will tend to lock up. Reversing the teeth so that you are cutting on the pull solved that problem, now it works great in this configuration. I also used a file to cut two small notches on the ends so that it would lock in and out. That's about all i can think of let me know if you have any more specific questions of if you want some more detailed photos.

8. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

Update:
    I broke one of the liner locks from use. Leatherman replaced it. I forgot to take out my File that I had replaced the wood saw with.
    So
    [​IMG]
    Got a 6" BO file from Mcmaster Carr# 42605A31
    1) Cut it down to 3"ish
    2) Took out the wood saw
    3) Cut off the wood saw from the pivot
    4) Welded the file to the pivot
    5) Ground the weld down
    6) Ground in a thumb groove
    7) Tightened everything back and it is good to go.

9. ruudr

ruudr Loaded Pockets

That black oxide coating looks great. How did you do it?

10. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

It's not black oxide, just plain Ti oxidation you can do at home with OxyClean, Napisan or similar supermarket product.
    Plenty of how-to's available on the Web.

Cheers.

11. ruudr

ruudr Loaded Pockets

Thanks! In the Netherlands we don't have Oxiclean. Does Vanish oxi action also work?

12. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Very neat mod there. Especially cramming in the USB stick. However, I've never really been comfortable with the idea of having electronics (including mini light type things) mixed with a multitool. I'm far too likely to be exposing my tools to wet or worse saltwater environments and /or heavy shock (i.e. hitting stuff) environments. I do notice now that the better SD type cards are now marked as fully waterproof but I like to take care of them anyway!

13. ruudr

ruudr Loaded Pockets

Ow man ow man.... Disassembled my Charge tti to oxidize the scales and I just can't put it together any more...
    I think I'm going to write Leatherman a very polite mail with the kind question if they can put it together for me. They probably going to charge me for it because of the waranty void but I don't mind.
    Anyone have tips for me?

recklesstryg likes this.
  14. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Only one tip: Never ever disassemble medium to full size multitool if you don't have the proper tools to assemble back.
    Talking from my experience, tried to clean my Wingman while removed every piece from another one, couldn't assemble it for the next 1 hour, improvising with my SwissTool, another pair of pliers and another metal pieces like a bolts and screws. It's dead hard, because of the springs that keep the pliers in open position (when you hear 'cling' after you open them).

recklesstryg likes this.
  15. LittleBrother

I was worried about that also, but as of now I have exposed it to water, oil, mud, and sweat. So far no negative effects. Also I don't keep anything on it that's not backed up. I use it to have important documents with me at all times and to print things at local print shops around town. I figure if I ever find myself in a serious situation and need the information on it I will just separate it from the tool. I can literally snap it off of the tool without damaging the drive. But like I said, this might not work for everyone, but it is extremely useful for me because of where I live and because of what I do.

16. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

100%

17. Beynon5

Beynon5 Loaded Pockets

Heres my modded Wave..

[​IMG]

It has.. S30V blade - serrated hook blade from a charge and rebar plier heads!

The only thing left to do for me is to work out how to do the mirror finish! and I'll be done.. for now!! haha

18. Posh Josh

Posh Josh Loaded Pockets

What I would do to improve that is move all the lanyard hoop to the other pillar/screw thing so when using the blade it won't get in the way.

masofnos likes this.
  19. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

yeah that would've been smarter haha

REDDEVIL likes this.
  20. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

Just keep at it, what part is giving you grief? putting the plier head back on?

REDDEVIL likes this.