1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show me your FAKs.

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ArkansasFan30, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Here's a first aid kit I put together about 6 months ago. I bought 4 of these boxes on eBay for about $1 each, and I have this large plastic tote - like the kind you put all your sweaters in - that I filled with first aid supplies that I've collected over several months. That box is my inventory, from which I build first aid kits of various sizes.
    [​IMG]

This is not intended as a primary first aid kit, or even a back up. More like a back up to the back up. It is also intended as a FAK to give away, should you be outdoors and come across someone who is ill-prepared, if you see the need. If I were hiking, or trying to survive in a bug out, I would have 3 or 4 first aid kits of different sizes in different places on me. One or two would be in my BOB, and one in the leg pocket of my BDUs, and one in my coat or vest. My way of thinking is "If I become separated from my BOB in a worst case scenario, or have to watch it float downstream as I slip on a rock, what will I have left on me to survive with?"

Cargo pants and a vest/field coat are for those bare essentials.

Pictured are one intact FAK, and one opened. These are both the same.

2. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I've added 1" and 2" 5yrd. rolled gauze wrap since that picture was taken. One of each fits nicely, and is an essential part of any FAK.

3. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

I just went through a little phase focused on revamping my FAK system...

[​IMG]
    My EDC FAK that stays in my bag during the week and fits into my cargo pocket when hiking or doing things outdoors

I've got one 5x5 gauze, one non-stick gauze, steri-strips, a pair of nitrile gloves, and a roll of tape floating in the bag

Baggie holds an assortment of band-aids, alcohol swabs, three 2x2 gauze pads, blister band-aids, and a few packets of bacitracin

I also made a trauma kit, although I'm still looking for another pouch to hold all of it

[​IMG]
    In the main compartment I have a CAT-Tourniquet, 4" Israeli bandage, 2x pairs of nitrile gloves, bandage wrap, mylar blanket, and tape

Behind one side is a Benchmade cutter and shears (Will probably just keep the shears and move the cutter to a tactical rig I have), and behind the other is an assortment of large ans small gauze pads, band-aids, and a pack of Quikclot Sport

The reason I'd like a bigger pouch is because this one is maxed out, but I'd still like to put in a nasopharyngeal airway, irrigation syringe, and a CPR mask

Criticism is more than welcome since I don't have much practical experience with first-aid (I've done some training) and these kits are both still evolving

Glebun, Stranger, Lou_G and 2 others like this.
  4. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

Double post

Last edited by UsubM, Dec 14, 2014
  5. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

I technically have 3 kits. A small booboo kit with some bandaid wet wipes, etc. Goes in my bag, can fit in a jacket or pants pocket. Second is on for AK that stays in my bag. Bandaid, antiseptics, gauze, etc. It's in my backpack with a SAM splint and small pouch with gloves and artifical respiration barrier. My last stays in the car. Has a first aid manual, SAM splint, AR barrier, a a whole load of everything else. Nothing for major trauma but enough to last forever. Pics to follow.

6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice kit, looks like you put some thought in it. Have you done any thinking on plausible scenarios where you will need the npa? Not that im against it, I also dont know the laws and regulations where you live, but npa's are in a civilian setting sometimes considerd invasive. A good rule of thumb is 'never insert something you cant see'. Like when basic trained first responders are to do suction, the tube can only go as far in the mouth as the provider can see.
    Also if i were you i would replace the Israeli with the Olaes modular, it gives you more options, because you can take it apart, to dress up both primary entrance wound and exit wound on an extremity, but takes up the same space.

Btw, im not a native english speaker so let me know if something does not make sense.

dao and Cerberus. like this.
  7. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely look into the Olaes dressing and think about adding it to my kit.

And I guess I never thought about the NPA being invasive, I just thought I'd add it because I've used it in training with the military. I'll look into it and consider it more before adding it to my kit

8. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I like (and have carried) both the Israeli and the Olaes. The Olaes gives you more options, but it's not nearly as flat/pack able as the Israeli.

9. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Do any of you carry saline solution bottles? I don't see them a lot in your FAK. I use them a lot for my eyes, especially in winter, or if I get something really annoying in my eye and I can't get it out :)

dao and qqb825 like this.
  10. photog

photog Empty Pockets

I do. I carry a few 20ml bottles of 0,9% NaCl.

dao and thekapow like this.
  11. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

20mL? Wow that's not a small bottle! I carry the 5mL ones :)

Weej, dao and thekapow like this.
  12. rbent

rbent Loaded Pockets

For fitting in the hydration pouch of my Osprey Talon pack.

All items are prepped with tape tabs for opening

3" roll of 3M Durapore tape
    1x QuickClot gauze
    1x CAT tourniquet
    1x 6" Israli bandage
    1x 6" role of kerlix
    3x pairs of Nitrile Gloves
    1x EMT shears

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't, no. They would freeze in my vehicles this time of year.

Weej, dao and Gilatabar like this.
  14. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

That's true. I carry my FAK in my backpack though, and I move it around a lot. I use it regularly too :)

Weej and dao like this.
  15. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my keychain using Tapatalk

Weej, dao, Lou_G and 1 other person like this.
  16. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

Said I'd post mine, so here's 2 of them. First Picture's a booboo kit, fits in my bag, jacket pocket, glove box, probably a pants pocket. The 2nd picture is what's in my bag. Bottom left is a AMK kit gauze, bandaid, etc. Bottom right is AMK space blanket. Top right includes a SAM splint. Top left isn't first aid. Last picture is quick access. It has gloves, a mouth barrier for CPR, and hand sanitizer wipes. It's a molle type pouch. The 2nd is in the hydration pouch area of my maxpedition bag. It's a separate zippered compartment, so why not? The 3rd is on the side of the maxpedition bag.

Weej and dao like this.
  17. Stu46

Stu46 Loaded Pockets

Boo boo kit is for my kids. They think band aids are stickers. I rolled duct tape and 1" medical tape around a chopstick and cut it. Pain relievers are for me.
    [​IMG]FAK by stu46, on Flickr

[​IMG]FAK by stu46, on Flickr

Gary Gross, Edd, Weej and 1 other person like this.
  18. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

Here's my big one I keep on my car. Scissors, CPR mask. SAM splint, manual, and all normal stuff.[​IMG]

Sent from my keychain using Tapatalk

Weej likes this.
  19. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Here's my inventory box. I really like the Adventure Medical kits. One of the smaller ones is jam-packed full of extra stuff. The other one is left as I bought it. The large Wal-Mart case is empty. I have two of the little wallet kits pictured. I like them too.
    [​IMG]

Edamhcneb, Weej and Cheeser like this.
  20. AK47Uprising

AK47Uprising Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My larger one will have to wait until tomorrow; this is my small one that goes on the leg.
    -Bag (NAR CCRK-Maritime)
    -Ambu CPR Breathing Barrier
    -ReadiMask
    -WaterJel Burn Dressing
    -2 Pairs of Black Talon Nitrile Gloves
    -Nasopharyngeal Airway with Lubricant (28F)
    -HyFin Occlusive Chest Seals Twin Pack
    -ARS Needle Decompression Kit (14g x 3.25in)
    -CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet)
    -Emergency Trauma Dressing (NAR 6in)
    -Z-Fold QuikClot Combat Gauze
    -S-Rolled Gauze (4.25in x 4.1yd)
    -Combat Casualty Reference Cards
    -Triage Cards
    -Ache and Pain Relief To-Go
    -Allergy Attack Relief To-Go
    -Critical Care Aspirin To-Go
    -Headache Relief To-Go
    -Heart Burn Relief To-Go
    -Upset Stomach Relief To-Go
    -Sunscreen (30spf)
    -Diphenhydramine
    -2 Ammonia Inhalants
    -Sanitary Wipe
    -6 Butterfly Closures
    -2 Rolls of Duct Tape
    -2 Celox Packets
    -Celox-A

Stormstaff, Weej and Bullivant like this.