1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show me your FAKs.

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ArkansasFan30, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Sheikh Awie

Sheikh Awie Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

It is a 5.11 6.6 pouch, attached to the strap of my 5.11 tablet case.

[​IMG]

The contents are:
    1. Plastic bags with seal (2x) [for waste disposal]
    2. 96cm x 135cm Triangular Bandage (1x) [second use as a tourniquet]
    3. 10cm x 10cm Melolin pads (3x) [courtesy for victim]
    4. 90cm x 5m Gauze Roll (1x)
    5. 15cm x 4.5 m Heavy Weight Crepe Bandage (1x)
    6. Medical Shears (1x)
    7. Latex Gloves (10x) [but only 4 left]
    8. CPR mask in hard case (1x)
    9. Emergency Blanket (1x)
    10. Hand Sanitizer (1x)
    11. Alcohol Swab (10x) [For equipment]

This is a kit I bring everywhere no matter what bag I am carrying, edc, work, hike, or school (except the shears that has to go in flights), as long as I am more than 100m from my main trauma kit.

Paul B. and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

This is a little something I did a while back, you know those wallet pic holders, I cut one off and loaded it with a few things. The two pics on the left is what it looks like, front and back, the one on the right is what it's loaded with, three normal bandaids, three smaller ones, and just two alcohol wipes, the absolute minimum, but it takes up no room and fits in the wallet! JR

[​IMG]

3. FoundingFather

FoundingFather Loaded Pockets

4. Basti13

Basti13 Empty Pockets

Here is mine, a Tatonka XS First Aid pouch. About the size of a fist!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stormstaff likes this.
  5. addictedhealer

addictedhealer Loaded Pockets

Just put this together. My trauma kit.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Adam.

6. TatendaZim

TatendaZim Empty Pockets

Trauma Kit

Last edited by TatendaZim, Oct 19, 2016
  7. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

Tourniquet use, ambulance number, destination, etc. for report writing. I also write down anything else pertinent for the responding paramedics to know, and yes, I write it all on the patient.

Alberta STF, Stormstaff and Skunk Ape like this.
  8. Sindri

Sindri Loaded Pockets

My FAK in my EDC bag, just finished this one since my previous FAK went MIA...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Condor rip-away EMT lite
    contents:
    1 olaes 4"
    1 swat t
    4 melolin 2"
    4 melolin 4"
    4 surgical swabs
    4 alcohol cleaning swabs
    1 burn pad
    2 regular gauze dressings
    2 pair nitrile gloves
    small pack of absorbing cotton wool for nose bleeds
    15 assorted band aids
    10ft duct tape
    4 safety pins
    1 set steri strips
    emergency blanket
    mini bic
    tweezers
    small trauma shears
    sharpie like pen
    petzl e+lite

most of those things are organised in separate ziploc bags

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D855 met Tapatalk

9. cap6888
    • The Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Here is a couple dedicated to range use.....

kensington and UmbertoTortallini like this.
  10. cap6888
    • The Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

dupe.....deleted

11. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

This is my EDC first aid kit and if I'm not out playing with knives the one I bring when out walking. The pouch I made myself and is based on the Kifaru UL pullouts. The tri-glide in the top loop is so that I can thread it through a square D ring in my bergen and stop me having to search through my bag.

[​IMG]IMG_3248 by Paul Daly, on Flickr

The contents from top right are;
    Clinell wipes
    'Butterfly stitches'
    varied plasters incl blister plasters
    stretch bandage
    4'' Israeli bandage
    Wound dressings
    Burn gel
    Diaoralyte powder to make a rehydrating drink after diarrhoea
    varied painkillers
    Anti diarrhoea tablets
    Midgie bite stick
    Alcohol wipes
    Small sewing kit

[​IMG]IMG_3249 by Paul Daly, on Flickr

Last edited by Scoman, Jul 3, 2016
    Stormstaff likes this.
  12. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

My current IFAK is split into: Kifaru 1000D Organizer Pocket In Wolf Grey (Trama) and a custom ZPack Zip Pouch in Orange (Boo Boo). The Boo Boo slips into the Kifaru. The Kifaru get attached to the lumbar, shoulder or chest. I run or walk or hike. The patch is a custom one off from Etsy. On my table:

http://imgur.com/a/Ktzip

I HATE it. It's bulky, cumbersome and heavy. It bounces, slips and slides. (It's great for a standing solution though...) My current insanity is trying to measure the smallest footprint I can stuff and smoosh my items into.

http://imgur.com/a/PCIqt

The Olaes is the current best of the trama bandages but even the flat pack is a pig of a beast. I've managed to flatpack the TQ quite nicely but I continue my insestuous flirtation with the RATS.

I keep looking at the ITS Tallboy, but I've never liked this style of IFAK holder:

https://store.itstactical.com/medical/its-eta-trauma-kit-pouch-tallboy.html

or the Coyote STOMP, and that has all kinds of extranous stuff built onto the exterior that I don't like:

http://www.coyotetacticalsolutions.com/slim-tear-off-medical-pouch-s-t-o-m-p/

I may be insane: I refuse to compromise on the quality of the items I carry, and demand multipurpose use from them, but want them in the smallest flatest footprint they can be in...

koenfm likes this.
  13. ghbrumbaugh

ghbrumbaugh Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My EDC First Aid / Survival Kit
    (Packed super tight)
    Survival:
    Mini signal mirror
    Rescue whistle
    Compass
    Sparker fire starter
    10 - weather proof matches and striker
    6 - fire tinders
    2 - water purification tablets

First Aid:
    2 - 2x2 gauze pads
    4 - Large band-aids
    2 - Small dot band-aids
    2 - Butterfly closures
    Compact tampon
    Woundseal topical powder
    Burn gel
    Hydrocortisone cream
    2 - cleaning wipes

I'm waiting on 3M Steri-strips to come in, arriving today.

I think I'm happy with it. It's basic, but should cover any day to day incidents.

Not 100% sure I need the survival stuff in my bag, could just be in my car.

Thoughts?

ETA: Well it was packed to tight. I went to add the Steri-Strips last night and found the case had cracked. So now I'm searching for a pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ghbrumbaugh, Aug 24, 2016
  14. Jake Hinds

Jake Hinds Empty Pockets

15. Jake Hinds

Jake Hinds Empty Pockets

First, my car fak: [​IMG]IMG_6163 by Jake Hinds, on Flickr

Ontario SPAX SP-16 hatchet
    Ace bandage
    Assorted bandaids
    Batteries for my flashlights(Not first aid, just stored in it)
    Note cards
    Sharpie
    Super glue
    25 ft. Utility rope
    Nitrile gloves
    4x4" gauze pads
    bandana
    Bunch of alcohol prep pads

This is it for now, but I'm going to be redoing it in a bigger bag to hold more supplies. Also, my medical skills are slim to none, but that doesn't mean I can't do anything

16. Jake Hinds

Jake Hinds Empty Pockets

Hopefully my posts will kickstart this somewhat old thread :/ Anyways, next up is my IFAK. I wouldn't say that it's with me every minute of the day, but it goes wherever the backpack it's attached to goes. My backpack goes a lot of places. [​IMG]IMG_6156 by Jake Hinds, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6157 by Jake Hinds, on Flickr

The goodies:
    Handwarmers
    Sharpie
    Bug bite relief
    4x4" gauze pads
    Assorted bandaids
    Gauze wrap
    Med shears
    Nitrile gloves
    Advil
    Allergy relief
    Alcohol pads
    Tape
    Eye drops
    Chapstick
    ACE bandage

Almost everything is double bagged and stuffed in.
    Lastly, all my toys can get stuffed into my Fieldline backpack, outfitted with the ifak, a battery-powered glow stick, my edc kit, Gerber Strong-arm, and my car fak. [​IMG]IMG_6218 by Jake Hinds, on Flickr

franckswiss likes this.
  17. scotiamedic

scotiamedic Empty Pockets

What bag is this?

18. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

At the beginning of each year I tend to rip apart any preexisting items, reassess, and reorganize. This includes what I want to do for the year in training, any advances in medical technology, and the appropriate funds for both. The need for a high quality IFAK became readily apparent as I began to hike/walk/run longer distances. At some point you look around and it's just you. Without the proper training and equipment you can get into trouble very, very quickly.

This IFAK is set up for a small external footprint, carried on my person, with a treatment capability of one (myself) or two (family/friend/stranger). The external colors are purposefully set up as a drab green/black so the three points of RED standout externally. A RED cross patch, exterior front, for quick identification (This is a medical pouch.), RED zipper pulls (Open here!!) and a RED "T" for quick tourniquet identification.

I'm cognizant of the military idea to separate the trauma and boo boo kits into physically distinctive units. My use case and needs differ. Furthermore, If I don't carry it or have it with me the IFAK tends to stay at home. So I married both kits, trying to find the smallest possible footprints for items while not skimping on any advancement in technology.

I'm also aware of the outrageous cost, talking about Aquacel and hemostatic bandage(s), for what could amount to a minor injury. Cuts and scrapes are easily treatable wounds, with low bandage cost(s), and shouldn't deserve special treatment. However, does it make a qualitative difference using a hemostatic bandage for small cuts/bruises/scrapes? How well do these types of band aids hold up to field use? Are they worth extra cost by granting shorter and better healing? I intend to road-test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coyote Tactical Slim Tear Off Medical Pouch (S.T.O.M.P.) Ranger Green with a 2X2 Ranger Green Spartan Village Red Medic Cross Patch.

TLDR: The best IFAK pouch I've ever used.

The small footprint and well thought out design, coupled with the current trends and advances of making slimmer and lighter equipment in the medical supply industry, allow for a deceptively spacious and full featured pouch. I believe it's well worth the asking price compared to similar offerings.

This isn't to say I don't have opinions or suggestions with the current version STOMP:

When the STOMP is full with equipment the grab handle is ineffective. There isn't enough slack between the handle and the pouch for an easy grasp. My STOMP is full and I have to wriggle my finger into it. I'm not sure, in an emergency or running, I would be able to confidently grasp the STOMP and "tear" with complete confidence. Finding the sweet spot between too much/too little slack on the grab handle is, I'm sure, tricky.

I dislike the TQ attachment method. I have not experienced a drop or loss of a TQ as of yet but I'm still uneasy about the Velcro (?) tabs. Scientifically, I have not had a failure but my gut just doesn't trust them. Personally, I would sacrifice the ability to "tear" off the TQ for a PALS row. My TQ holder of choice has a snap fastener that allows for, and what I perceive to be, a more solid attachment method.

The internal inner elastic loops are an absolute miracle for organization but I feel they are spaced incorrectly. The top and bottom loops butt against the frame of the pack inhibiting some items due to size. I would rather see less loops, with a wider profile, to use the space more efficiently.

The internal branding tag is too big, on the inside where it does no good, and has a tendency to snag on items as I move things in and out.

Overall, I'm incredibly pleased with my purchase. I'll continue beating on it for the foreseeable future.

INTERNAL:

2 pair Bear Claw Ultimate Nitrile gloves size large
    6" Israeli Bandage
    QuikClot Combat Gauze LE (Z-Folded)
    Phokus Research Group Frog Gauze 1 (Nonwoven) 3" x 4 yds 1/2" thick Z-Folded
    Curaplex Adjustable Flange Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Decompression Needle
    (3) 3gm foilpac Surgilube inside a waterproof kingfishermaps.com license holder
    HyFin Vent Compact Chest Seal Twin Pack 4.75" x 4.75"
    Jeff Halopoff Purple/Gold V1 Custom Titanium Tweezers
    MoMa MUJI nail clipper (Japan) small 6cm

I've had two pair of Rubis tweezer points in previous IFAK builds. Fantastic tweezers, unfortunately, both bent with light storage. I'm not doing that again.

[​IMG]

Orange Zpacks Passport Zip Pouch 6" X 4.25". Weight: .30 oz. / 8.5 grams

The, very unfortunately, now discontinued orange color was chosen for high visibility in contrasting the ranger green interior and the bright color for low light situations. It's also a bonus it's waterproof and dirt-proof protecting some of the more expensive and sterile components.

INTERNAL:

Phokus Research Group Frog Tape 2" x 9" x 1/6 ". 6 folded strips per package. 3M Durapore medical tape on easy release backers
    HemCon First Aid Bandage 1" x 4" X2
    HemCon First Aid Bandage 2" x 2"
    Aquacel Extra AG 4" x 5"
    Moleskine 4.5" X 3.5" X2

TOURNIQUET:

Combat Application Tourniquet® (C-A-T®) Generation 7 inside a Black SORD Tourniquet Cover (Red "T")

Missing items:

High quality trauma shears with an actual steel. I'm talking a S30/S35vn. I've seen plenty of the disposable throwaways and have been unimpressed. I've followed the Leatherman Raptor but remain unconvinced due to the clunky size and shape.

Duct Tape. I have a flat packed version and with the Phokus medical tape I've questioned the need to include this.

Triangle Bandage.

SOF® Tactical Tourniquet-Wide (SOF®TT-W). The tourniquet handle on the CAT is plastic. This still makes me nervous.

2017: TRAINING.

I've already allocated the appropriate financial resources for a Wilderness Medical TECC/TCCC approved course. I need to find something in Northern Ohio. I would like to find training in improvised care as well.

Thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Last edited by bmstrong, Feb 6, 2017
    #238 bmstrong, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  19. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

This is the FAK I keep in the main compartment of my work bag (5.11 Rush 72), take it with me whenever I leave the house aside from quick runs to the store.

It's a Vanquest FATpack 7x10 Gen1

[​IMG]

This is what is in the front slot pocket

[​IMG]

Left side - Leatherman Raptor and a couple pair of nitrile gloves in a ziplock.

[​IMG]

Right side - RATS and Nitecore EA21

[​IMG]

Pack open

[​IMG]

Front flap open - More gloves, tweezers, amonia tubes, q-tips, cayenne pepper and duct tape in the flap, assorted creams, ointments, wipes, swabs, etc in the ziplock

[​IMG]

In the zippered flap velcroed to the front flap - Ziplock full of pills - cough drops, ibuprofen, cold medicine, allergy, aspirin, etc., ziplock of misc band aids, another pair of gloves and some tape.

[​IMG]

Left flap - Fenix HL50 headlamp, NPA w/lube, bic lighter wrapped in duct tape and a couple of binder clips

[​IMG]

Center pocket - CAT, 36" SAM splint, surgical mask, ab pads, assorted pads, gauze and triangular bandage in ziplock and mylar blanket.

[​IMG]

Center, out of pocket - Pair of vented chest seals, 25g QuickClot, 15g Celox, 6" Israeli bandage and Water Jel burn dressing.

[​IMG]

Right flap - Red and green chem lights and 15g Glucose Gel

[​IMG]

Picture of all contents

[​IMG]

20. AbbyJ504

AbbyJ504 Empty Pockets

Some of these kits are seriously awesome and well thought out! I have many of the general things that everyone has, things like bandaids, scissors, gloves, tape, and ace wrap. I saw some people carried things like meds, which can be a good idea, but personally I just carry my essential oils. They take up about the same amount of space and I can use them more, though I do still carry a few meds, but I use them sparingly. These are some great packs though and I am going to see if I can add anything to mine!

Treya likes this.