1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Show me your Bug out Bags contents!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Chester, May 23, 2014.

?

What should I focus mostly on in my Bug out Bag?

1. Fire

36.1%
  2. Water

77.8%
  3. Shelter

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I just want to reiterate the fact that you need a Bug Out Plan before building a Bug Out Bag. Otherwise you're just packing a Refugee Bag. Also, figure out what your BOB kit will consist of, then find a bag that will hold it all. If you buy a big bag first, you'll keep filling it and making it heavier than it needs to be.

JOE68, ManVsLawn, T.H.Cone and 2 others like this.
  2. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

This is gold.

I see it every time I go hiking, people hiking the 1 day trail with a bag loaded to get you up Everest.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

T.H.Cone, Nick4305 and Lou_G like this.
  3. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

That's a REALLY light bag If there Going up Everest, the sherpas do most of the work.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

4. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

Here is my list:

Shelter & Warmth:
    Waterproof Tarp
    Poncho
    Small Camping Pillow (not an essential, but my teeth usually say otherwise)
    Small Camping Blanket
    Hat
    Gloves
    Wool Socks
    Spare Long-Sleeve Shirt
    Handwarmers

Fire:
    25 ct. Stormproof Matches
    2 Bic Lighters
    1 Flint & Steel
    Cotton Balls & Vaseline
    Lint
    Twine
    Paper Towels (no idea, but it lights on fire and can be used for other things)

First Aid:
    Large Band-Aids
    Water Proof Band-Aids
    Compression Wrap
    Triangle Bandage
    Neosporin
    Advil & Tums
    Paper & Pencil

Water:
    Canteen & Metal Cup
    Small Filter (we have one somewhere, might omit depending on how large)
    Small Stove (maybe, still making a decision)

Food:
    MRE
    Clif Bars
    Oatmeal
    Tea

Knives& Light:
    Larger Fixed Blade Knife
    Multitool
    Headlamp
    Flashlight

Binding:
    50 ft. Paracord
    Electrical Tape

Toiletries:
    Tooth Brush
    Toothpaste
    Flossers
    Mouthwash
    Deodrant
    Wet Wipes
    Toilet Paper

Miscellaneous:
    Cravat
    Glasses Cloth
    2 S-Biners
    1 Large Carabiner

Montani and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

Sorry my sarcasm button was offline.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't think you'd need a small stove. You can find/purchase/repurpose a tin to store goods and become a makeshift stove. But I'd drop it merely for the weight.

Look into a mylar space blanket, instead of the tarp. The tarp is large, and weighty. These are all simply suggestions, I built my bag from 20$ a week, so maybe save and slowly upgrade.

Backup batteries for headlamp?

But it is a great start! Maybe look into throwing some Identification (old driver's license) and some cash. Sometimes when bad things happen (natural disasters), cash is the only form of payment accepted. Make sure to keep some small bills (not just a roll of 20's, get some change in there) and a handful of quarters for vending machines.

for fire, i'd add an emergency flare (look in Wally World camping section 2 pack for 5$), and a fresnel lens (cheap on fleabay, buy 5 and spread them around your kits).

For water, I'd get a Lifestraw or similar product. A great product, good shelf life. I'd also get some individually sealed waterpurification tablets and put a few in each kit.

Great start though! I'm a big fan of having a BOB, (and plans to evac). It serves as my "Oh snap, need to go, no time to think, grab bag, baby, gal, and hit the road bag." 8)

I need to weigh mine but it weighs less than my backpack blower full of gasoline, which I walk with and wear for hours during the day. I'm guessing 25-30lbs. This obviously does not include my "extras" like the 6gallons of water and MREs set aside for truck/Bug In purposes.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

You are not going to let that go, are you?:p

That life straw has been mentioned twice. Given how much I like the Sawyer Mini, I'm not sure that straw is the best/cheapest/dependable option. Just a thought.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the epic responses guys

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just needed to clarify 8)

I'll check out the Sawyer Mini. The Lifestraw was just what I'd found (before this site).

EDIT - sawyer mini looks very nice! I may have to get one to try it out, definitely will buy one when the lifestraws are out of date.

Last edited by ManVsLawn, May 30, 2014
    T.H.Cone likes this.
  10. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

Alright, so I fumbled with my pack even farther. It is now ALOT lighter and looks ALOT smaller on my small back. I adjusted the hip and waist straps and organized it so that I can open it without things flying out. The only things that I want too add now is a waterproof tarp small enough to cover me as a tarp shelter, a reusable Mylar space blanket, a poncho, and a fixed blade.

11. Darien.K.

Darien.K. Empty Pockets

Clean water
    Medical kit
    Basic Utility (flint & Iron, knife, paracord, lighter, tarp)
    Compact rifle & small fishing kit
    Small amount of provisions
    Appropriate clothing for the environment
    *Skills*= most important

What you need today to survive is actually very little due to our increase in technology over the last few decades. Fire, it is very easy to produce with raw materials and a little know how. Medical is a must have, however, you can use some other less effective supplys found in field. Basic Utility's will by far serve you the most when it comes to materials. Rifle speaks for itself. Provisions for immediate supplement. Clothing. And skills to obtain whatever else you may need or may have to do. If you cannot make fire from flint and iron or friction by itself, know how to make a water filter, be able to make traps, ect. No reasonable list will help you.

You can survive on x<32oz of seawater for at least 50 days permitted you are not physically active.
    Water is everywhere, just know where to look, as is nourishment.
    Shelter is everywhere, just know what to look for.
    Basic camouflage skills are common sense.
    Keep your eyes and ears open, make no rash decisions, observe, no room for mistakes.

12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Practically all the protein bars in the stores have short expiration dates. With out actually getting Lifeboat bars, what is the best solution?

13. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

According to the rock stars on YouTube, you don't have a bug out bag unless you have somewhere between 4 and 7 knives, lol.

RoadWizard and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

this is the thread I was looking for.

15. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

3 day pack, hiking boots, shoes, shorts and jeans, jacket, tent, chair, pots and pans, hammock, jetbol and a tinder stove, water filter and a UV filter, dehydrated food and some other stuff I'm forgetting.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kensington likes this.
  16. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

The way I see it, it is a GO bag not a "drag behind me bag", so I like to go light.
    Weather, terrain, time, and many other factors will contribute to the GO bag and what it needs.
    For instance, during the wildfires in Fort MacMurray, people were literally driving out of town with fire on either side of them.
    A big bag of stuff and no plan wasn't very effective.
    Some people came home to absolutely nothing left as the fires destroyed their homes.
    Bugging out in most cases these days is more along the lines of an extended motel stay, then camping in the wilds and roughing it.
    During a true complete bug out, I look at what refugees carried when coming from other countries.
    They carried cash, cell phones, and documents because they knew that those were truly important once they reached their destination.
    No ferro rods, no FAK, no small stoves.
    Hate to say it, but knowledge, a plan, passport, and cash tend to offer more options than true survival gear when you need to move in today's world.

17. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Dude, why are you messing with the fantasy?

kensington likes this.
  18. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

Here is my version of a BOB, I view it more as an EDC/Get Home Bag. Most of whats in there has been in there for around a year and its been working well for me...

Nothing too crazy, but maybe some stuff that could be dropped. But the weight doesn't bother me and I still have room to haul all my school stuff around.

A further breakdown of some of the stuff in my bag here in another video I made today...

This is a small "SERE"/urban survival kit. Its very basic and there's stuff I've left out for sure, but with a mini-prybar, a can opener, some tape, a little bit of silver coinage, a lighter, and some water purification tabs it covers the bases of stuff I think I might encounter.

19. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

How do you store your BOB sleeping bag, guys? As being inside a stuff sack for a long time would severely reduce it's temp limit ...