1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I replace or upgrade my Surefire 6P? (Can't find any 16650 batteries)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Fusilier, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I have a Surefire 6P-GM (gun metal or silver colour) that I purchased many years ago. It is my current 'wander around the house, find the bathroom, not step on crap in the hallway on my way back to bed' flashlight. Prior to that it was my primary flashlight for military field training.

Anyway, it is the last remaining device I own that takes CR123A batteries. I've moved on to AA and AAA power for anything that doesn't take button batteries and I really don't want to go buy more CR123As for just this one flashlight.

I've found some discussion online about replacing 2 x CR123A batteries with 1 x 16650 battery but I am completely unable to find a source for 16650s. I already have a compatible charger around here somewhere but I cannot find the batteries anywhere.

So, should I sell this old workhorse along with the spare bulb and the Surefire SC1 battery/bulb carrying case? Is there even a market for such an old flashlight.

Or should I try harder to find a pair (one is none, two is one) of 16650 batteries? Anyone know of a Canadian source or at least someone that'll ship to Canada?

Or do I just buy some more CR123As and live with it as is?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

2. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

I upgraded my old "Laser Products" marked 6P with a Malkoff LED drop-in and use 2 CR123s, pretty happy with it. I don't mind using the CR123s as they have a long shelf life and this light is relegated to my bedside table. I know it will turn on and won't have discharged batteries when I need it.

[​IMG]

#2 ballistic, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    MCPOWoller, BigGreenTick and Fusilier like this.
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you like the light and wish to keep it you can get a high voltage p60 drop-in (iirc 6p's can take these but i could be wrong as its been ages working with these) and you can then run it on two 16340s. You can also send it to a boring service and have the body widened to accept 18650s.

A cheaper option is to go for a whole new light entirely, a good light can be had nowadays for very very little money compared to what surefire use to (and might actually still) charge for a light.

adnj likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

5. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

There is definitely a market for Surefire lights at places CPF (Candle Power Forums). Depending on just how old it is you might be shocked at how much it can be resold for.

If it looks like the first pic you should be able to get at least $50 out of it, if it is the older style like in the 2nd pic it is potentially worth much more. The gunmetal anodizing was relatively rare compared to the black which always helps generate interest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the other hand if you would like to keep the light, as others have pointed out it is easy to upgrade to a modern LED emitter with a P60/D26 drop-in. There are lots of quality ones out there that can fit just about any need (the only weakness of the form factor is that it doesn't make a great thrower). Eugene Malkoff is just one example of a builder of quality upgrades.

If you keep the light keep in mind that lithium primary cells (like the CR123) have a great shelf life & function well at a broader range of temperatures than most of the other options (Li-Ion or NiMH rechargables) so the old warhorse could find a second life as an emergency back up light in your car or other spot where it can sit for a long period of time unattended.

Edit: I just realized ballistic covered the last point already as well...and I'm drooling over his old school 6P.

#5 BigGreenTick, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Rob Babcock, Fusilier and ballistic like this.
  6. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Just for the fun of it, here's photos of my flashlight. It has a little wear as it spends most of its days in a pocket with a Spyderco knife. Maybe I just have to find some reasonably priced CR123As and keep this baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

azpops, ballistic and BigGreenTick like this.
  7. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Increase drool output 2x ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

ran23 and BigGreenTick like this.
  8. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

A baby brother for the older sibling. :D

I had both an early 6P & a 6C (no momentary on the tail) that disappeared during my first divorce.

ballistic likes this.
  9. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

It would be easy to sell it for sure, the gunmetal version isn't very common at all.

10. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

That's a handsome flashlight. All of my work and house flashlights are SureFire.

11. DFW_Jose

DFW_Jose Loaded Pockets

I say keep it and upgrade to an LED bulb. Maybe even invest in some rechargeable 123 batteries and a charger setup.

fresh eddie fresh and Fusilier like this.
  12. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

If you are determined to not use CR123s anymore, you could get a 1 cell extender, a sleeve, a M31 drop-in from Malkoff and use AA's. It might be tough to find a silver extender, but a black stripe might look pretty neat with it.

13. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

17670s fit in a 6P

14. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Loaded Pockets

It's absolutely worthless, you'll never be able to sell it, but I'll give you $20 for it. :)

15. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

17670 cells - you should be able to pick them up pretty easily.
    throw a Malkoff or nail bender dropin into it, fill the SC1 up with spare 123 cells, and enjoy your "new" old light.
    I have an old Gunmetal 6P too - mine was used pretty hard and has an old snap in lexan lens. It is no longer used, I use a glass lensed black C2 with my malkoff dropin now....