1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I get iPad Mini or iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MrGlockJock25, Nov 17, 2012.

?

Which one?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2012.
  1. iPad 3

70.6%
  2. iPad Mini

29.4%
  1. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25 Loaded Pockets

I really like the price and size of the mini but is there a big performance difference between the two? How do you guys like yours?

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Hubby is getting a mini next week from work. He didn't care about performance. He was just going by size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I'd go with an Ipad 3. If you just want something small for easy transport that will let you web surf, check mail etc. save a few bucks and get a Kindle Fire HD.

dcmassena likes this.
  4. Gorram

Gorram Loaded Pockets

Intended use will decide. I've a 4S and a Ipad 2, I use the 'pad for 1000page work PDFs, so I need the larger screen. Word is that my company plans to issue us IPads, so I would likely replace both devices in the future with a LTE mini pad/ Bluetooth.

My question: how the heck are you supposed to carry the mini pad? Looks like a man bag/murse would be required....

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'm going to sew a large pocket in my husband's favorite jackets for his mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooshisho likes this.
  6. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Whats the intended use?

7. banu

banu Loaded Pockets

I have the ipad mini, my son an ipad. Size wise, the mini is easier to carry...
    However the Nexus 7 (which I also have) is an amazing tablet.
    You can run a lot more interesting apps, like Navi X, download torrents etc...

8. Kodex

Kodex Empty Pockets

I actually have the same issue with what I should purchase this holiday season. BTW its an Ipad 4 now they discontinued the Ipad3 due to it being slower than the new Iphone5.
    With choosing an Ipad4 or Mini it would depend on your usage. If you need a big and Retina screen I would go with the Ipad 4. But if your don't mind having an NON-Retina display and you think you will be carrying it around and reading or watching in bed I would go for the Mini. Now for me I am waiting for the Ipad Mini in Retina hopefully coming in the first few months of 2013. More information on what you are using can help me help you better. I currently have an Ipad 2 so I am in no rush atm. If you are not invested in apple ie. you don't have tons of apple store apps. Then I would suggest the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire for the price they are a steal. Well please keep us updated on your choice and why can help a lot of us in the same boat as you.

9. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Given the choice I would opt for the ipad 4. I have an ipad 2 and looking at the mini specs it isn't much different, so it's almost a smaller ipad 2. Given its 2 generations old, and the ipad 4 is faster with a better screen, that's the one I would have. There are a plethora of carrying options already out there for the full size ipad, maybe it just depends on if you really need a smaller one or not.

I like the look of the kindle fire HD, but I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem so a change for me would be expensive.

Edit: one nice thing I just noticed abut the mini is that unlike the full size iPads they will charge from a computers USB. So if you are travelling but expect to be near pc's for any length of time you cold get away with just taking the sync cord rather than the plug.

Last edited by Si_K, Nov 19, 2012
  10. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I’m going for a Mini. I don’t think there will be a noticeable performance difference between it and the iPad 4. As for the screen, I have no complaints about the iPad 2s "lousy" display. I switch between it and my iPhone 5 all the time and never feel like I’m losing anything in the display. I am choosing based on size and carry ability. If you have chance, go handle both. The Mini is what the iPad should of been to begin with. It’s so light its hardly there. All though I do want to get a Nexus 10 to have around for days when I want a larger screen, and to be able to play with android.

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I'm not an apple guy, but the reviews I've read haven't been that kind to the mini. Not that it's a bad tablet, but that it doesn't bring anything to the table besides size. The screen dpi of the mini is the worst of the lot as well.

12. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

13. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

What reviews have you read?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

14. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

All the ones I read were in my Currents feed. So probably cnet, gizmodo, techcrunch and that sort of thing.

15. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

My iPad 3 charges from my laptop's USB.

16. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

As usual the answer is " it depends on how you plan on using it". My employer issued an iPad 3 to me primarily to use it with a CRM program. That program has a lot of fill in boxes and drop down menus. Before I had the iPad I tried using that program on a 7" tablet and found it hard to accurately hit the boxes and menus unless I zoomed in and panned around a lot which was cumbersome. With the full sozed iPad I'm able to fill out the forms much more quickly.

17. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

All the reviews I have read seam favorable, they mention the cost, but other then that its a great device.

18. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Cool, that's a worthwhile improvement on the ipad 2 right there.

19. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

Ipad 2 & nexus 7...Otherwise just get the 3. The mini is a poor substitute for a real iPad or a real 7" tablet.

20. stoneworks

stoneworks Loaded Pockets

I love my Sony P but my partner and sister got the Blackberry Playbook, they love them - brillianrt screen and fast. I sold my iPad and have not regretted it.