1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a SwissChamp?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Backpackcat, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Backpackcat

Backpackcat Empty Pockets

I've been edcing an Evogrip s557 (delemont) for a year, and I wasn't impressed with it. I started looking at either the Deluxe Tinker or the Explorer but quickly found the Handyman. I thought I found the one, but yesterday I clicked on a link for the SwissChamp and maybe fell in love. Is it worth it for the price and size?

jarguez and MatBlack like this.
  2. Backpackcat

Side note: is the S54 any good?

3. sld

sld Loaded Pockets

Got my SwissChamp in 1994, been my edc since then. I use it often and find the tools useful (even used the hook a few times). The blades hold an edge reasonably well and resharpen easily. After many years the scales were a bit scratched up. I used some micromesh & plastic polish on them and they look good again.

I’d recommend one!

4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I've carried one for the last thirty years (I'm on my second or third, can't recall which). I find it very useful and (IMO) it's the best UK legal multitool.

Compared with Leatherman (and similar) tools, the pliers aren't the centre piece and are therefore smaller and less capable, none of the tools lock, and the short shaft on the Phillips screwdriver limits its access. However, the steel and workmanship are great, there's an excellent selection of tools, and I've even used the body of the tool as an emergency light-duty hammer!

It's quite bulky and heavy (for a SAK), so I'd recommend belt carry rather than pocketing it. Vic have a few good belt pouches for it - I like the leather case with the rotating belt clip.

If the tool matches your use cases then I'd recommend it.

5. Backpackcat

That's actually one of the reasons I went Victorinox, I'm moving to the UK in a few months so no lockers

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the asylum! You don't have to be mad to live here, but it saves time! ;-)

Victorinox warranty issues are handled by https://www.burton-mccall.co.uk/ in the UK. I don't expect you'll need them, but I contacted them once re replacement scales and they were absolutely superb. Beyond first-rate service.

7. D56

D56 Loaded Pockets

I bought a couple of Champs recently for my collection and I noticed the newer models have an inferior magnifying glass than usual. The glass (plastic) comes out easily. I prefer the older gray ones with real glass, or even the one piece plastic that came after the glass version. Victorinox need to address this problem as the new ones seem quite flimsy. I've had a Swiss Champ 'user' since 1990!

8. Backpackcat

I just got my Saphire Champ in the mail! I think it's my new favorite :inlove: Thank you all for the recommendations!

9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've had my Swiss Champ since the 80s. It's in my backpack and I use it a few times a month. I pocket carried it for several years when I first got it, but being a knife guy I moved on from that. Still, I'm glad I have it and recommend it to anyone thinking about getting one.

10. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

May favorite SAK is the Champion Plus (no pliers). I don't EDC them (I have two) but I made a little kit with them using Leatherman sheaths and keep one in my Lexus LX and one in my camping van:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

parnass and Moshe ben David like this.