1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a Strider RW-1, or a ZT 301

Discussion in 'Knives' started by firemedic183, Jun 9, 2010.

1. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

To all of you knife experts out there...PLEASE HELP!!! I am very seriously considering buying a Strider RW-1 TOMORROW!!!! However the ZT-301 looks pretty dang good as well. I am a firefighter and I put my knives through a lot of very hard use (using it as a prying tool, cutting through sheet rock, etc etc...) I want something that I can use all the time for self defense, and for work. Can I please get some thoughts and opinions???

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I'm no expert but if I had choice it would be the Strider all the way !

BE WELL .. GH

3. firemedic183

That is what I keep hearing...I guess I am going to have to go without food for two weeks...lol

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. firemedic183

6. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I'd say ZT. While I'm sure that the Strider is a great blade I don't know if it's worth an extra $250 for the same materials.

This being said, there is no reason for you to be using a knife like either of these on a job site... just use a regular utility blade and save yourself the time of sharpening and the frustration of cleaning.

7. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Both are great knives made by two reputable companies. My pick is the Strider because the quality is second to none.

8. firemedic183

Strider RW-1 Ordered!!! GULP!!!! I hope I love it as much in person as I do looking at it on the computer!!!

9. firemedic183

I have been using a Surefire Delta Folder for the past couple of years and it has been GREAT. One of the main things that I use a knife for quite often is as a prying AND of course a cutting tool. From everything that I can gather about Strider knives...they are built to take a beating. If I break it, it will be fixed or replaced. I do not want to take a chance with my job with a lesser quality utility knife. I am sure that they work great for a lot of people, but for me I LOVE the peace of mind that my knife will perform EVERY TIME. It is important to ME to have faith and confidence in my equipment especially when it is my life or someone else's that hangs in the balance. Personally I do not find it a burden nor difficult to clean or sharpen my knife. I guess that we just differ in opinions about the uses of a cutting tool on an emergency scene. A quick example: If I need to puncture holes in the lid of a bottle of salene to utilize it for wound irrigation, the simple utility knife would eventually get the job done, but it would take a lot more effort and time because of the thickness of the lids on our particular saline bottles....If I just used the Strider it would be done immediately, thus producing a better outcome. I could think of dozens of scenarios and reasons that I would prefer a knife like the Strider to assist me in the performance of my job. Once again that is just me. I do thank you for your reply and your opinion. I also love the signature section that you chose. That is one of my very favorite quotes of all time.

10. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

My apologies brother... by your first post I thought you worked in the construction business and needed a blade for the process of building or something of the sort. I can totally understand why you want a quality knife for your profession.

In truth, either one will serve you well. Enjoy it in good health (and post a review :naughty:)!

11. firemedic183

No apologies needed!!! I should have been more clear on what I was using the knife for. I ordered the Strider RW-1 this morning, and should have it in my hot little hand by Monday. I will post a review.

12. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

I know you already decided but while Strider seems to be "the best" I just can't see it doing anything my ZT302 can do at half the cost (and it's a Strider design).

Enjoy the new Strider.

13. firemedic183

Thank you!!! What it really came down to for me, and I know this may sound stupid, was the design of the handle...I just liked it better. That and I liked the tanto blade, and the overall design of the RW-1. Thank you again for the imput.

14. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

There's nothing stupid about buying something (servicable) because you liked the way it looks. If looks weren't important we'd all dress the same.