1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a .45? If so, which?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by BubbaFett, Mar 31, 2014.

1. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I'm not worried about my finger, I'm more worried about clothing. Then again, I just ordered a White Hat Holster and looking it it, the leather should hold back anything from the kydex. Might not be a big deal.

It'll be about a month until my holster gets here, and then I'll see what's what. Maybe I jumped the gun making this thread already, didn't expect so many responses but they are appreciated.

2. individual

individual Loaded Pockets

Duly noted, but I disagree. Someone with concerns about leaving a gun with a bullet on the chamber such as OP might find more more convenient to have the weapon loaded with the magazine and rack the slide as soon as he reaches the gun until he gets more confident about leaving the gun in Condition 1, not to mention if he has children and wants to leave the gun in a reachable place like a nightstand. Sure, you have one less round this way and it's something to consider if the handgun in question is single-stack like a 1911, but this should be weighted by OP. I don't know how counter-productive this is for self-defense, but if you have kids you definitely don't want to have your gun fully loaded - it's an inevitable drawback. Even if the slide safety is locked, it's a lot easier for a child to move it to unlocked position than racking a slide (I know a case like this one that ended bad, sadly). It's that or move the handgun to a safer location, but it may ruin the reachability you need in a domestic defense situation.

No offense, but who would rack a slide while interacting with things such as doors, light switches, etc? I believe this is the first thing you should do after you grab the gun. Whether you're unlocking the handgun's slide safety, racking the slide or something else, you definitely don't want to do it later. You can't wait to fully determine if there's someone breaking in your house or if it's just a stray cat on the window, you grab your handgun and prepare yourself.

Anyway, I don't know OP's experience on handguns and familiar status, but with the provided information I don't think what I'm saying is necessarily bad advice - but thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

3. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Just for the record I don't have a problem carrying the Glock chambered, I just find holstering in the car to be awkward. My only holster right now is a leather IWB, but I have a hybrid IWB coming I'll try out.

4. WruceBillis

WruceBillis Loaded Pockets

Has anyone mentioned the CZ 97 b?
    Seriously fantastic gun

5. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Sorry, but more bad advice given. First of all, a gun in ANY condition, needs to be secured if there are children in the house. Knowing his familial status is irrelevant. If he does not have kids, the gun should be fully loaded and ready to use. If he does have kids, the gun should be fully loaded AND locked/secured until needed. Get a night stand safe. Leaving an empty chamber is NOT by any means a safe way of leaving a firearm unattended if children are present. You would be surprised at how young an age they can pull back the slide and chamber a round. It is dangerous and negligent to even remotely suggest that is safe to leave a loaded gun in a night stand drawer with children in the house. The case can/should be made that even a 100% unloaded gun should not be left unsecured if there are children present.

It is very counter productive for defense. In an adrenaline charged situation we want to reduce the number of steps involved, not add to the complexity of things. What if the first sign of an intruder, is the bad guy sitting on your chest and beating you because you're a very sound sleeper? Or maybe you just wake to find him standing next to your bed. Maybe you don't want the sound of the racking slide to alert the bad guy and give away your position.

If your gun has a manual safety, you should NOT, be disengaging it until you are raising the weapon to fire. There is no reason to have the safety off while you are still slightly disoriented from waking, stepping on the kids toys, the dog...etc. A Glock has one manual safety, the trigger. Thats why on the Glock (and any other gun) keep your trigger finger out of the trigger guard until you intend to fire.

TKDstomper, DCBman, Revival and 2 others like this.
  6. individual

That's a cool looking holster, man. I'm gonna expand a little my previous recommendations. I used to and/or currently own all the aforementioned handguns except the Glock 41, so I speak from experience.

Polymer frame
    I recommended Glock 41 because I shot with it and boy, is it a beauty. It's a lot like a Glock 34 but in .45 ACP, and it has a coolupgrade - I'm embarassed but I don't know how this is called, in Spanish it's barbijo - check the image below. Compare it with a Gen 4 Glock 21.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my experience, you see all the Glock torture tests (mud, water, ice, trucks, etc) and it stands pretty well, but I remember I had a customer who was disassembling his brand new Glock 21 Gen 3 and because of a stupid error he disassemblies it in the air (not on a table or on any surface whatsoever) and the slide, ehem, slides off and falls to the ground landing in the barbijo, creating a rack and rendering it completely useless. Should the pistol had fallen assembled, nothing worse that some dents would have occurred.
    This thing adds robustness to the whole design. Grip checkering is not match-quality but is reliable, it has a nice feel and you can choose from two patterns. Removable back straps for best fitting that actually work (I have fat hands and the slimmest one did the job) and 13+1 rounds. I enjoyed shooting with it. I believe it's USD 700 or so in the US market, overall it's a good pistol to have for defensive use.

The Springfield XD .45 ACP and the HS 2000 have many features I wish Glock had; grip safety, bullet-on-chamber indicator, thicker slide, bigger checkering, lead compatible rifling, striker indicator, the angled grip fits me great andit's comfortable for a long shooting session. I don't know its U.S. price tag, sorry.

I'm kinda tired right now, but if you want me to provide more insights on the Colt Government 1911, Sig Sauer P227 and Sig Sauer XO 1911 let me know.

7. individual

I won't argue with you no more, since we both have very different opinions and ways. Let's agree to disagree?

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

We can agree to disagree on tactics, technique...etc, but when your suggesting that its ok to leave a firearm in any loaded condition unattended around children, I'm not going to agree to disagree.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

TKDstomper likes this.
  9. Hassan Nurullah

Hassan Nurullah Loaded Pockets

I carry an XDm 3.8 Compact .45--"Why do I carry a .45? Because they don't make a .46"

[​IMG]

Last edited by Hassan Nurullah, Apr 4, 2014
  10. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

BubbaFett, I want to second the FNX Tactical if you are still looking for a .45 handgun. Throw a Surefire X300 and a Trijicon RMR on there with some good self-defense ammo and you have a great platform. My brother got his hands on one of these and I'm really impressed from what I've been told. Obviously, you want to shoot everything you can before buying. I've never shot a Glock in .45, but loved all of the 9mm, .40 and 10mm versions I have fired and wouldn't hesitate with any of their .45 offerings. My favorite .45 that I have personally shot is the HK USP that my other little brother has. No matter my opinions on pistols, there isn't one that I'm willing to stand in front of and test it's capabilities!

Well, maybe a Kel-Tec P-3AT. :p

Sorry to derail our Mandalorian friend's thread, but I wanted to have some input to another part of the discussion.

Had to snip a part of that post, I have to agree with what amacman is saying.

ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. Period. Therefore ALL guns should ALWAYS be properly secured with children in the house. I don't care if it has the mag out and ammo locked in another room. Bad habits lead to bad deaths.

---

Now for the opinionated part that people can agree to disagree about. Feel free to stop reading here. I like everyone here and mean no disrespect to anyone. Sometimes I can't convey my tone or message clearly in written format as I would in a face to face conversation, hence the disclaimer.

I just want to share my thoughts and give a little justification of why I think that way. There are a lot of people here who are smarter than I am, so take it for what you will. I'm an opinionated jerk sometimes, but I'm definitely not always right! I constantly learn and reserve the right to change my opinion. ;)

Carrying (or having ready for defensive use) an automatic pistol in any way other than with a round in the chamber is foolish in my not so humble opinion. Say what you will, I've been in a few gunfights and I'm still here. One of those times I survived is because the other guy carried without a round chambered, and nobody had to get shot that day.

I'm not a high speed low drag tactical expert or current/former military/law enforcement guy, but I've been on both ends of the gun when bad things go down and bullets start flying. The biggest keys to defense are situational awareness and not doing stupid things with stupid people. Since the day I grew up and switched teams to be one of the good guys, I've been shot at ZERO times. That's the best lesson I learned.

All of that being said, you still need to do what is right for you and your situation. What works for me may not work for you. Let's all pray that we never have to test it either way.

"The lessons that we learn are written on the tombstones of others." - Reid Henrichs

Edit: Corrected Reid's last name.

Last edited by Lou_G, Apr 12, 2014
    Revival, dc5446 and BubbaFett like this.
  11. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I was going to reply similarly, but I see you have it covered here. These are all excellent points which bear repeating, and anyone considering a self defense firearm (concealed or otherwise) should take notice. There is no debate. 'Agreeing to disagree' is just agreeing to be misinformed.

Sorry, but them's the facts! ;)

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Why did you not buy a .45 in the first place?

Hassan Nurullah likes this.
  13. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I was recommended to and bought 9mm based on ammo cost, availability, more economical for a new shooter to practice.

14. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

As a bit of an update, went and shot a friend's G22 (.40 not .45) full-size and I liked it a lot. I think part of it was that it was fullsize and part was that I did not realize how much the Crimson Trace Lightguard I am currently using changes my grip. I can still shoot it pretty well but I like the grip MUCH better without it.

I have also been looking into shotguns and to be honest I am going in a bit of a circle as to which gun to buy, where I'd keep it, what my strategy would be for a break-in, etc.

One thing I am looking at is getting a Streamlight TLR-1s as it appears easy to take on/off a pistol if need be, shouldn't alter my grip, and can also be utilized on a shotgun if I go that way.

15. Hassan Nurullah

Hassan Nurullah Loaded Pockets

My Remy 870 is the first thing I would grab if there is an intruder in my home. I think of my .45 as a self defense weapon away from home. If they come into my home while I am not close to the Remy, I use the .45 to get me to the Remy.

Revival and Lou_G like this.
  16. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I get that. I'm just not sure since I might have to gather my wife/dogs. I did consider using the pistol if I have to leave our bedroom and the shotgun if not.

17. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

Why wouldnt you use the shotgun if you had to leave the bedroom?

BubbaFett and Hassan Nurullah like this.
  18. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Perhaps because the handgun can be more suitable when moving through some areas. Easier to operate one handed when opening doors, turning on lights...etc. Can be kept in closer retention when moving around corners, doorways.

BubbaFett likes this.
  19. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Exactly.

One thing this thread has done is make me think of things from new angles, but perhaps the best realization is that no one purchase/item is going to give me the perfect setup. I'll buy what I buy and keep training, researching, tweaking.

You'd think I'd know that just from trying to find the perfect EDC, but I guess I can get carried away.

Anyway this has all been helpful. You guys rock! :D

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  20. RockinU

RockinU Loaded Pockets

If you have experience with Glocks, and interested in a carry .45, I'd suggest shooting a 30s and seeing how you like it, I like mine a lot. Of course I like my Kimber a lot too...heck, get both!

BubbaFett likes this.