1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a .45? If so, which?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by BubbaFett, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

That would be my grandfather. He's an old-school guy and has always preached the virtue of the revolver for a self-defense gun over an automatic if the gun is going to be sitting fully loaded and ready to go. The revolver, unlike the fully-loaded auto is not under tension. The same thing goes with having a hammer-less shotgun sitting by the bed (unlike a double-barrel with hammers or a pump). It's generally a bad idea to leave guns under tension for extended periods of time in my understanding. Also, with a revolver, getting past a dud round is as easy as pulling the trigger again, whereas an auto requires more attention. You do, of course, sacrifice capacity, but if you don't solve a problem in your home with six rounds smartly spent, you're probably not going to solve it.

2. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Well I'm from Texas, so... Hah. I don't know if need is the right word, just feel like I always want to have a 9mm available but now that I do, I'd like to have a bigger round available too. .45 has a lot of history & respect.

Ah, but I do want to hear that, hence the first part of my question. Thing is, if I get a shotgun it will probably live in the living room because my wife is a fitful sleeper and ends up on the couch most nights. I'd like her to have something close to hand and she does not show interest in pistols AT ALL.

Which would leave me with one pistol for night/carry. Not sure that will be practical for my needs.

3. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

One thing to note regarding revolvers is that if they do jam, which does happen (granted it's not common or frequent) they will almost positively require a gunsmith's fix vs. a semi-auro rack-tap-bang.

4. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

Obviously everyone's first thought with a .45 is the 1911 and i agree..but i love the FNX 45 Tactical. It's a great gun.

BubbaFett likes this.
  5. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

regarding the original question of a 45 pistol recommendation, I am a big fan of the Smith and Wesson M&P series. Both the mid size and the full size 45 excellent pistols. I have not gotten a chance to shoot the compact, but its almost exactly the same size as a G 19, which makes it an ideal candidate for multiple purposes. If I were not looking at a 1911 and I wanted a 45, the Smith and Wesson pistols were and are a clear choice to me.

BubbaFett likes this.
  6. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Mine has never had any feed issues with FMJ. I have magazines a little tight in the spring, and once I had an anomalous double-tap when I reset the trigger while the pistol was still rolling back from the first round fired, pressing the trigger against my finger again. Other than that, my Glock feeds and fires flawlessly. I do also prefer a hammer-fired pistol, and if I ever get hold of an EAA witness hunter in 10mm, I may part with my Glock. 15 rounds of 10mm, though, is awfully comforting to have in the arsenal, and living where I am much likelier to employ a firearm against a dangerous or nuisance animal than a person, the extra punch of a 10mm is indispensable. I wouldn't carry it against a large bear, though, if I had a choice. When I go into grizzly country on foot, I carry at least a 44 magnum.

7. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Ah, you said non-jacketed, not jacketed, and you are right. Cast bullets should not be fired through polygonal rifling, as fouling develops and generates dangerous pressure. I am not certain whether hard-cast bullets would do the same, but I wouldn't risk it. Jacketed bullets are all I feed my Glock.

8. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

I think you answered your own question.

Why isn't using just your G19 for night/carry practical for your needs?

Say you do get a 45... And the wife is sleeping on the couch. Isn't the .45 or the G19 going to be close by her? Both guns in which she has no interest in?

I would go with what the wife would feel more comfortable with.

Lou_G and BubbaFett like this.
  9. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Actually, no. I already have 2 pistols and neither is close to her because she won't train with them--even though she initially said she would when we bought the first pistol. So part of my problem is a marriage issue, not a firearm issue, because even though she likes the idea of a shotgun better it doesn't mean she'll go to the range with me after I, ha-ha, pull the trigger on one.

That being the case, I don't know that having a loaded shotgun that she may never handle/fire nearby is better than her having nothing--it seems like even money that it'd be taken away from her & used on me coming down the hall, whereas maybe I could be out in front before someone got through a door (M.U.T.T. early warning system).

As for this part, it's because I want a light mounted and that makes holster options narrow. Add to that my work requires me to leave my gun in the car sometimes and I don't know that I want to be holster/unholstering a Glock in possibly crowded parking lots as a matter of course. My current thinking on that would be to use something like Raven Concealment, that I can "holster" away from my body and then tuck it in my pants. Seems like less chance of a ND.

10. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

When it comes to night-time defense, a shotgun is often superior to a handgun in that it impacts an area instead of a point. In limited visibility, it is faster and easier to effectively aim. Of course, the risk of collateral damage is arguably higher. I keep number 4 buck shot on hand in case of indoor use. It is plenty lethal against a soft target but less likely to carry lethal momentum through interior walls. I don't camp overnight in grizzly country without a 12 gauge and 00 buck. I personally don't keep one ready for home defense, though. It's hard to keep a 12 ga out of sight but still accessible, and unless you have one of only a handful of magazine fed models, you can't keep it unloaded (I have kids) and still rapidly deployable like you can with a pistol by removing the magazine. On the other hand, you could buy a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 with what you would get for your S&W without coming up with additional funds. The same doesn't apply to a good .45.

Revival and BubbaFett like this.
  11. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

There are a few products that lock around a shotgun keeping the chamber open, this allows you to keep the magazine tube loaded. All that require is to remove the lock, and finish closing the action.

Also, I'm not really sure what you mean by "impacts an area" 12 gauge 00 buck is known to pattern as tight as 3-4" at 7 yards. And this is what makes it so effective. A spread out pattern that only puts a few pellets on target isn't nearly as effective.

12. TKDstomper

TKDstomper Banned

I think you should go to a range or store that rents them and try out a few. You might find that you don't want what you thought you did and maybe you'll discover that the caliber isn't as important as you first thought. Can I ask why .45?

Also, Smith & Wesson make M&P revolvers with rails on them so you could go wheel gun if you wanted and still attach a light.

Mlehto is giving some good advice.

13. TKDstomper

TKDstomper Banned

I like that your last sentence acknowledges that it is indeed a negligent discharge. There is no such thing as "accidental" if you follow the 4 rules.

14. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I have learned it's a mistake to say accidental on a forum :D All it would take is for me to miss a fold of clothing on a Glock to have a really bad day, however you phrase it. And since I believe in personal responsibility I'll call it negligent.

TKDstomper likes this.
  15. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

With an 18 inch barrel and no choke, the pattern opens to a few inches in just a few feet, which is ideal if you have a grizzly coming into your tent (it happened to a man just a few miles from my home when I was a kid). At seven yards, you can expect about a 12 inch pattern. No vital organ or limb within that spread would escape a debilitating wound. It doesn't take all nine pellets to create a lethal wound--any one will suffice if it breaks a critical limb or passes through a vital area. That's what makes a 12 ga. with buckshot so effective. At sixteen, with my Winchester 1300, I hit cantaloupe at around ten yards shooting from the hip every try. (I no longer waste time or ammo on such nonsense).

16. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I am looking into Rock Island Armory, specifically a compact for EDC. Very inexpensive as far as 1911's go yet a good reputation. Been handling them at the LGS the past couple of days and really like the feel, a lot. Aside from being wider pretty much the same size as my Ruger SR9C and while many complain about wanting to go light weight for EDC I think the extra weight will do well to reduce felt recoil. The weight thing I never really got for CC, I CC IWB when I am out or deep conceal when home, both involve a support system that to me an extra 20oz is not going to make a difference. I am new to firearms, just over a year, 9mm for handguns and while not officially a 1911 one of them is a Sig P938 and I like it a lot.

BubbaFett likes this.
  17. myrmidon

myrmidon Empty Pockets

I think the suggestion a couple pages back to go with a G17 is a good one....it is my setup. I edc either a g26 or g19 depending on the time of year and keep 2 g17's in the house. I like the consistency of using the same platform in defensive situations. That being said, everyone should have a 1911 in the collection!

Lou_G and BubbaFett like this.
  18. Highland doc

Highland doc Empty Pockets

I carried a 19 for a while, then got bit by the 1911 bug. Luckily for me, it didn't last too long. Carrying a 5inch gov model sucked. It was big & heavy in the heat of the summer. Then I was given a 26. I shoot it better than both of the others, and I find it much easier to carry. Now the 19 is in the closet with a light on it, 1911 is in the safe, & 26 goes everywhere with me. Try them all, & keep what works for you.

Lou_G likes this.
  19. individual

individual Loaded Pockets

This is where double-action handguns come in. I'm sitting next to my Sig Sauer P250 and it currently is in Condition 1, this is with a bullet on the slide chamber. I also have a Tanfoglio Combat with both double action and safety guard. In my opinion, it's best to train yourself racking the slide if you're inside your house and something bad is about to happen.

Regarding OP's question, if you wana use a Glock but fear slipping your finger into the guard and shoot it accidentally, get yourself a HS 2000 or a Springfield XD .45 ACP, they both have trigger and grip safety. If you wanna get serious about self-defense and range shooting, get yourself a Sig Sauer P227 or a Glock 41. If you wanna go to a century-old proven design, get yourself a 1911; best options to me are Colt Government and Sig Sauer XO.

Ask me anything else you need!

20. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Huh? Why would you suggest racking the slide in preparation of something bad? This sounds like gun advice from watch TV action shows.

If you're racking the slide in preparation of something bad, you've either got a gun with an empty chamber-which is bad for self defense, or your throwing away a round of ammo-also not smart.

Not to mention, this can be physically awkward, if holding a light, opening a door, or fending off an attacker.

Sorry to offend, but this is bad advice.

Revival likes this.