1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a .45? If so, which?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by BubbaFett, Mar 31, 2014.

1. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

And even when it doesn't go bang (bad ammo happens in revolvers too), you just pull the trigger again. Nothing to unjam. ;) The biggest issues with revolvers these days is that people want high capacity. One of my favorite guns remains a 696 and I have bet my life on it many times. With that said, not everyone is willing to lose 10+ rnds worth of ammo capacity.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

2. The Governor

The Governor Loaded Pockets

Mmmm, if you want a .45 because it's American it follows that .45 should be a Colt. Get a blue Colt and love it because that dancing pony is hot.

If you want a nightstand gun to hang lights and dodads on, you want somehing else. I'd go .40 caliber. It's an all round better self defence round.

3. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

Sorry for my ignorance, but as a swede, living in a country with very strict gun laws, I have a question. :)
    For all I know, most revolvers house 6 rounds. Is it often you have to use more than 6 rounds in your home, or is it just a "being prepared" thing?

I have shot some revolvers and pistols, mostly in smaller calibers, so I can't say I am a marksman. :rolleyes: But if i had a revolver by my bed, and an intruder came into the house, I bet blasting away 6 shots from a revolver would make that intruder think twice about keep going with his plan. I probably wont have to hit the target, 6 rounds in a fairly rapid pace against the intruder must be a powerful way of saying "well sir, you got the wrong house, now taste this"?

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  4. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Yeah, but what if they don't speak Swedish? :D

5. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I can have a sign in multiple languages to show then. :cool:

WichitaJLJ and Sao like this.
  6. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Loaded Pockets

Let me start off by saying, I'm a XD guy. I edc a XD subcompact 9mm, and love it... but the single biggest firearms mistake I ever made was getting rid of my Kimber Ultra Carry II. It was during the last gun ban scare, and I traded it off (Plus cash) :banghead: for a S&W M&P-15, thinking that I'd be able to buy another. Needless to say I'm currently saving for a new one. That being said... the idea of a polymer framed 45acp is really tempting too...

7. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Springfield Range Officer is now available in 9mm...just sayin' ;)

FenixArcher likes this.
  8. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

The 1911 has one huge design advantage over virtually any other semi auto: the trigger wraps around the magazine to engage the mainspring and floats until it contacts it. It pulls straight rather than pivoting from the top, and it has virtually no take up and very little travel. Besides the trigger, there are several desirable traits. The single-stack models are very EDC friendly (with the caveat that full size government models are so LONG that my Glock 20 actually tucks more discretely into a wasteband). Every part on the pistol is available aftermarket with several options to choose from for custom tuning, and every pistolsmith in the world knows every nook and cranny of the model.

You mentioned wanting a light, which doesn't leave many options in the range of what you'll get for your M&P, especially if you want US made. I had to sell a Springfield Armory 1911A1 and two rifles to buy this: [​IMG] If you do come up with the difference, any major manufacturer's 1911 should make you happy. I wouldn't hesitate to trust a Remington or a Springfield Armory; the Kimber just happened to be configured the way I wanted (stainless with rail and night sights). Without a light rail, I +1 PhrankKastle; the Ruger is the best shooting base model 1911 I've encountered. If US made isn't important, I have no first-hand experience with any imports (except a Rock Island or two I've seen up close), but I might try a Tisas or a Taurus. I would say Metro Arms (Bersa), but their rail-equipped models are race guns priced as high as my Kimber was. I shy away from Rock Island, as those I've encountered haven't been machined as finely as most.

BubbaFett likes this.
  9. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

GIANT gun, both in size and price tag, but yeah, it's cool.

CDKJudoka likes this.
  10. T191032

T191032 Loaded Pockets

Since you state that your currently owned guns are Glock 19 & S&W M&P Shield. Logically, keeping the same "manual of arms", that would suggest the Glock 21 or M&P .45. From previous experience, I know that the Glock 21 & 21SF don't fit my medium sized hand well, though the M&P .45 seemed to feel much better in hand. So given that, it would certainly require some time visiting a gun show/shop to handle a few samples of .45 ACP pistols and see which one felt best in your hands. If you could catch a few folks at a range with their .45s and shoot them, that would be better yet. :)

11. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

For the life of me, I just can't seem to understand all the .45 acp love, except in a historical sense. A good 1911 style pistol with a fantastic single action trigger I get. But the .45 is just not that powerful, except at close quarters. The fact that .45 pistols generally have a very limited round count annoys me. And those .45's that have a double stack capacity magazine are generally so large that it takes large hands to control and shoot them well. I know this by virtue of having owned a H&K full size USP .45 that holds 12 rounds in a double stack mag. Even though my USP had a 6.2" barrel giving the .45 a little more umph, I still didn't find the .45 to be the best choice, especially in a concealed carry situation though the 1911 style is sufficiently thin to make concealed carry fairly easy. Now a .40 Super - a 40 cal. bullet in a necked down .45 case - or a 10mm are entirely different matters. No lack of umph in either.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  12. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

A 1911 in 10mm is on my wish list. Any deficiencies in capacity (perceived or otherwise) from a standard 1911 are offset by the massive power in 10mm.

BubbaFett:
    Speaking of 10mm, as a nightstand gun and staying within the Glock platform, the G20 would be another good choice. Double-stack capacity and massive firepower to boot, though maybe not as widely available (ammo wise) as .45.

saniterra likes this.
  13. duqjeep2010

duqjeep2010 Loaded Pockets

I am impatiently waiting on my NFA paperwork to be finished. For a HD Handgun you can't argue with a suppressed .45. That being said a 1911 with a threaded barrel or if you want something with a little more capacity a Sig P227 both are based on a proved design in a proven cartridge.

14. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

You are right about the availability of .45 acp and the unavailability of 10mm. I don't think we will ever see the day when we can walk into the local Walmart and scoop up a box of 10mm. And most 10mm rounds from the usual commercial ammo companies - Federal, Winchester, Remington, Speer and so forth are pretty lightly loaded in comparison to the round's real capacity. I have a 10mm EAA Witness Elite Match - looks like a CZ and operates like a 1911, including that wonderful trigger and a 14+1 capacity. I shoot Underwood ammo in it and Underwood is loaded hot. That pistol is a heavy as a brick and even when having extra power recoil springs is an absolute beast. More so than my .357 mag out of a 4" Ruger GP100 and only a bit less than a .44 Mag out of a 6" S&W 629.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  15. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I did notice last year, owning both a 10mm and a .357 Sig, that when everything else sold out in a flash, 10mm and .357 Sig were still on the shelves. By the time they sold out, 9mm, .40, and .45 were back. I never went without being able to feed something. Having a more obscure caliber sitting around can be advantageous when there is a run on ammo. 10mm Ammo is available readily enough normally. I wouldn't give up my Kimber in .45 ACP, but I wouldn't give up my Glock 20, either.

BubbaFett likes this.
  16. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I've got a Kimber Full sized 1911 and a 1st generation block 21. The 1911 is my EDC gun, but the Glock has been my winter carry gun when I lived up North, my competition gun(IDPA and bowling pins), my current night stand gun, and still gets a Ton of range time. It is insanely reliable-over 13K rounds with zero failure in stock form with factory ammo (it has had aftermarket barrels/comps, light recoil springs for target hand loads...etc) It will feed any .45 load out there. It will even hand cycle a full mag of empty brass. It works no matter how dirty it gets. It has done 2000 rounds in a weekend without any attention.

It has a cottage industry of aftermarket/custom parts that is only beaten by the 1911.

If I had to pick 1 of my guns to have on my person in a total :censored: it would be the Glock.

Your are already familiar with its operation, get the Glock.

BubbaFett likes this.
  17. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I'm afraid that Glocks just aren't for me, although I will acknowledge that Glock makes fine pistols. I suppose that I just prefer to see the hammer on my pistols, even though I love my somewhat Glock-like Kahr K9. As far as the Glock 20 is concerned, I'm told that Denmark equips its Greenland patrol officers (Denmark owns Greenland) with Glock 20 in case they run up on a polar bear. Now I'm a big fan of the 10mm and I know that you can get them loaded with a 220 grain hard cast flat nose bullet that comes out at 1200 fps. That's a lot of pop, but I've heard that Glocks don't do very well with non-jacketed bullets. Ever if the Glocks were okay with the hardcast, I'm pretty sure that I would be feeling pretty meek standing there and facing a polar bear with any pistol I know of.

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Why do you feel the need to acquire a .45?

19. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

I dont own a .45 but if I did, it would be a Sig 220. I know you probably dont want to hear it, but if I was in your shoes, I would get the shotgun first.

20. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I'm afraid I have to ask - who teaches that a revolver is less likely to malfunction and therefore should be ones go-to nightstand gun. I realize that revolvers tend to look to be much more simple than an auto, but in truth they have about twice as many parts as the typical auto. Autos can have fail to feed and eject issues, but those are almost always magazine related. Now I have revolvers and I have autos and I've never had an issue with any of them except some .22 auto issues with a 30 year Browning Challenger and with a not-quite-so-old Ruger MKII. But .22 auto pistols and even some rifles are famous for being finicky about ammo. Not to mention that the older the pistol, the harder it is to get factory mags. I've had that issue with the Browning. But I also have a Sig P229 with interchangeable 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W barrels. After more than 10k rounds through it, I've never had a single issue with the gun itself using factory 9mm mags which reliably feed .357 Sig and .40 S&W as well. Oh, I forgot, I did have some issues with failure to eject and thus failure to feed when shooting 9mm. But that was my fault as when I switched out the .357 Sig barrel for the 9mm barrel, I forgot to put the lighter recoil springs in for the 9mm. As a result, the springs were so strong they were pulling the gun back into battery before the slide had moved all the way to the rear. The 9mm cartridge case would stovepipe and sometimes the slide would have moved far enough back to pick up a new round for the magazine so that I would have the new round pinned up against the breech face side of the stovepipe. Took me about 5 rounds to figure what was wrong.