1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a ZT 0300?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by greymethod, May 4, 2010.

1. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

Took mine to a professional knife sharpener, thinking that the heavily bellied blade was gonna be a problem for me. I got it back sharp but nothing special. So the next time I needed to sharpen it, i used my Lanskey with diamond hones... it's scary sharp now. I had to use the upper most setting to get it to pass the "sharpie test", I think that's 30 degrees on the Lanskey.

-Greg

EDIT- forgot to mention that mine's a 301. The 200 may not be so steep.

2. willy1488

willy1488 Empty Pockets

to sharpen this type of blades used successfully sticks Spyderco ceramic type round \ triangular or DMT

if you take the 200ST the prolem is not there you can flat sharpening stone

3. J.Miracle

J.Miracle Empty Pockets

Hey guys,
    I own the 0350 (same knife but 10% smaller) and let me tell you it's my favorite edc knife I've ever used. Great blade, stays sharp forever, the handle is made with great g10. I would assume all this would account for the 0300 too. Except for the handle, i think that one is a liner-lock.

4. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

anyone else have in hand pics?

5. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

Ask and ye shall recieve.

I'm a big guy (190cm/100kg or 6' 3"/ 225 lbs) so factor that in when you look at the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greymethod

Awesome, thanks man. I'm also 6'3, but only at 205. I think the knife will be a nice fit for me.

7. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

You calling me fat? :nana:

The knife will seem huge the first few days. After a week I didn't notice it and now a month or so later I have to check and see if it's still there. The size is no issue at all.

8. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

I recommend the new 2010 Recon 1 folder from Cold Steel. I love mine. The G10 is VERY grippy. Opens smooth and fast. It's a heavy duty bad-boy. It comes in clip point or tanto.

9. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

The Cold Steel isn't even close to the same class at a ZT 300.

10. greymethod

Ahhhh now I'm torn between the 0300 and the Ritter full size grip...

11. willy1488

willy1488 Empty Pockets

is always on another planet 300
    to switch to a higher level I should say strider, xm18 HINDERER:evilgrin:

12. greymethod

Haha. I will never have one of those knives.

13. willy1488

willy1488 Empty Pockets

I even said so a few years ago .... haha:evilgrin:

14. greymethod

Well at this moment it looks like the wait for one is a few years? WHOA. I'd rather have a custom knife made.

15. tlr

tlr Loaded Pockets

To be honest these are two different knives. The Ritter full size grip will likely handle any KNIFE CHORE that you throw at it. I have a 0300 and it will handle every knife chore and then most other abuse that you can throw at it. It really is a tank of a knife. I don't think you can go wrong either way. One is a great knife and the other is honestly just overkill.

It's not my edc (once in a while) but it is the knife I carry when I'm working on stuff as I don't think I can hurt it. I got a blem and saved a little cash and am extremely happy with it. By the way I'm about 6'2" and 265 just to get a size idea.

16. willy1488

willy1488 Empty Pockets

i write error...sorry,l do not speak English very well
    few years ago not paying too much for knives,then i always wants the best
    I do not know how long you expect for those knives,in Italy are available now at most one month or 2

17. greymethod

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one. They are just too expensive for me. At this point I want to hold an 0300 before I buy one.

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Not really in the same class.

The 0300 is a beast of a knife, but not without it's flaws.

It's pretty heavy; several folks have stated that it's not an issue, and that's mostly true. In my experience, even though I'm not a really big guy (5'8"/220), mine carries pretty well in jeans, but NOT in anything lighter or looser.

Also, the blade tip is nearly useless; the edge and spine come together at a tip angle of around 90°. I guess you could argue that on a heavy use knife, detailed tip cutting isn't a big deal, but why limit the knife's utility?

I also have the 0200, and IMHO it's a much better knife for EDC. Blade length is the same as the 0300, but not as broad. (I think the thickness is the same, too, but I'm too lazy to run upstairs and compare them at the moment.) It, too, has a recurved edge, but it also has a good, useful tip on it. The handle is likewise slimmer, fits my hand even better than the 0300, but it's no less rugged. And yeah, it's a liner lock, but those liners are thicker than the frames on some slimmer frame-locks I have; heck, thicker than the blades on some knives. It might not be quite as beefy as the 0300, but it'll eat a RitterGrip for lunch.

BTW, KnifeWorks has good prices on the ZT knives, and even has some special-run models made just for them; last year, they had versions of the 0350 and 0200 with uncoated blades; right now, they're offering a version of the 0350 with a "composite" blade like the Tyrade.

19. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

the 0302 is a outstanding hd edc. had mine with me every day for the past 7 months and it has handled everything i can think of from normal edc to camping.

the only thing i dont like is the speed safe - just one mote thing to break
    zt's cs is great though

one more thing is when you carry it carry a smaller blade for small tasks

jake

20. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

If it did break, you'd still have a big, beefy manual-opening frame-lock knife. Things could be worse!

Good idea. I've seen even knifeknuts jump back when they hear the 0300 THWACK open. Discretion is always a sound strategy in public or other mixed company.