1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a Glock 26?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by heathah, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

Same here.

2. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Second to all the comments above - the subcompact series of Glocks are very - actually every Glock model is - a good piece of kit. One of the best tools to fix the short grip complaint is to add grip extensions. One is made by Pearce and one is made by Scherer - they are a replacement magazine floor plate with a little hook for your pinky finger. Some will add an extra round capacity to the mag but I suggest against it without adding an extra-strong magazine spring. A key thing to remember with follow-up shots as since these pistols are so light, the recoil is shorter and sharper than with a full or even compact Glock. You'll need to adjust your timing a bit and if you don't already do grip exercises for your forearms, you should.

3. Jerkeejoe

Jerkeejoe Loaded Pockets

I've been EDCing a Glock 26 for 5 years now. It's without a question the best CCW gun I've found, and I've tried a TON of CCW guns. I'd recommend you buy one and never look back.

4. nypdblue

nypdblue Loaded Pockets

I had a S&W 3953 with a light rail. i sold it for a G26. Never looked back

5. smokeeater908

smokeeater908 Loaded Pockets

Glock is an absolutely amazing pistol, I carry a Glock 26 everyday and then carry a Glock 30 in my Maxpedition Malaga. Would recommend a Glock to anybody.

6. MartinDWhite

MartinDWhite Loaded Pockets

I also carry a Glock 26 daily (except those days I carry a Glock 19...). I recommend it.

7. AKS

AKS Empty Pockets

Yes, the Sub-Compact Glocks are wonderful pistols. In full disclosure I carry the G 27, but that's splitting hairs. Here's my .02 on the issues raised in this thread. With practice the baby Glocks are very nice shooting pistols. Very capable with consistent practice. As for them being small, yes they are, but the lack of a pinky resting place is troublesome. So the Pearce +1/2 extenders are great. A word of caution. They can create a space between the mag and the frame where you can pinch your finger. It happens most when the mag is fully loaded and there is lots of pressure on the mag spring. The other downside is the extenders add almost an inch of grip which in turn adds an inch of printing when CCW. To solve this I found a great mag plate at this link- http://www.concealablecontrol.com/advantage.html - I have several mags with this little "hook" and they shoot very well while keeping the minimal printing surface that had us all buying the baby Glock in the first place. My carry rig is 2 mags with the Pearce extenders, and the GAP Enterprises mag in the pistol. Also, the mag spring fatigue issue is a myth these days. Any spring made after about 1990 will hold up for decades under full presure. Older 1911 springs do fatigue, but modern metallurgy has pretty well solved this problem. The 2 backup mags I have been carrying for just over 2 years- fully loaded- and feed with zero problems. I use them every 2 weeks at the range without fail- ever- and then load up the CorBon's for another 2 weeks of full compression.
    Lastly, the sights. I agree with the post above re: factory adjustable sights. They are cheap and should be avoided. Get the stock fixed sights, or night sights if you have the extra $$. I have added a Trijicon front sight only to my G27 and really like it in the dark. I keep thinking I'm going to add the rear sight, but after 2 years it seems to be a low priority.
    I did have a Kahr P40 for a year or so before dumping it and picking up the G 27. Never looked back- at all. I could fill several pages about the Kahrs, but it would just be a waste of time. Bottom line is they are not trustworthy- period.If you ever think about buying a Kahr, just go buy 2 Glocks for the same $$$, or a Glock, 10 spare mags, a holster, and 1,000 rounds of ammo for the same price as the Kahr. And then you can ship the Kahr back to the factory a few times to get it to feed right. Then spend too much money on Kahr mags, which are single stack, 1915 technology- only to have a pistol which will malfunction 1 out of 20 shots. Rant off....
    If you buy the G 26 you will be happy.

8. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

+1 great pistol!

9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Here's my recent experience which may or may not aid you in your decision:

I've got a Glock 22 (.40 cal) but I was looking for something to carry for concealment. I'd been studying up on the various options and was considering the (very expensive) Kahr PM9.

Luckily my local range allows you to rent range guns from them, and though they didn't have a PM9 they had it's bigger brother, the P9, so I rented one and put a box of 50 9mm through it. The gun shot well, with good groups at 10 yards, and the sight picture (dot and stripe) was pretty easy to pick up.

Well, I guess my hands are just a little too big to get a decent 2-handed grip on the P9, but when I was done with that box my hands HURT - the webbing between my index and thumb on the strong hand, and thumb on the off-hand where it rested along the slide. Lot of felt recoil from the 9s in that package. Moral of that story - it's a good accurate shooter but range time is not a joy. Maybe if I gave it more time or varied up my grip, I'd get used to it.

Next I swapped out the Kahr for a Glock 27, to see how the sub-compact .40 would do. Shooting the 27 felt great in comparison to the pounding from the Kahr, even though I was shooting a bigger round. I tried both the standard magazine, as well as the kind with the finger extension just to see the difference. I found that I could shoot it just fine with the short magazine with my little finger curled up underneath. The finger-extension magazine was a little easier to shoot, but not dramatically, and I would think would somewhat defeat the concealment purpose. I shot with it about as well as I do with my Glock 22.

So to answer your original question - absolutely, go with the 26 (or 27 if you prefer the .40). They seem to be great shooting guns.

10. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

My wife chose the M&P9c over the G26. Better ergos, equally reliable. More expensive magazines, though.

Regarding sights, take a hard look at XS 24/7 Big Dots - put the ball on the tee and press the trigger; they are on all my "serious use" handguns.

Adjustable sights belong on sporting guns, not defensive arms. TruGlo and the like have a mixed record on durability.

11. n2topfuel

n2topfuel Loaded Pockets

I own a 27 and it does shot well. It is very balanced and never wants to "jump" around. I own a Smith 4006 and it does not shoot as nice as my 27.
    I shoot the standard magazine with no finger extender. It seems to me that someone did their homework when they decided to make this subcompact.

26 or 27 - they are both the same dimensions externally.

12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

To OP (Heath) Did you get your Glock yet? If so how do you like it?

13. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Nope, not yet. I'd been on the fence over the standard sights vs. the night sights but finally ordered a standard sight model 26 today as they didn't have the night sight version in stock at my gun shop's distributor and no one within 200 miles seemed to have one either so this was my only option at this time. And besides, my local gunsmith can put night sights on for me later for a good price. I got it out the door for about $545 so I thought it was a pretty good deal as everywhere else wanted at least another $30-50.

It should be here tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. I'm looking forward to breaking it in this weekend. :)

Thanks to everyone for the pros and cons about this pistol. I received some very good input.

Now, I'll probably run it stock for awhile but what kind of night sights should I put on this one? I don't really have a problem with the stock sights except that they're polymer and I'm not too sure how they'll fare carrying CCW. Then again, I've never used night sights on a CCW pistol and was actually told by my instructor that using any kind of sights may indicate you were aiming at your target opposed to shooting for self defense (although a laser sight wouldn't be classified like this according to him). I wasn't too sure about the legality or factuality of this statement but since Glock and others sell night sights for CCW purposes, I don't see how using them for self defense would be an issue. But, nevertheless, I want to gather more input before making a decision.

Also, is there anything else I should order for this pistol? I'll probably eventually pick up a few extra magazines and I'm definitely going to purchase some Concealable Control floorplates but I wasn't sure what else, if anything, you guys would advise doing to upgrade it from the stock configuration. I'm not planning to do anything extensive but was just curious what other owners of this pistol have done to improve or modify theirs.

Thanks again for any and all input!

Heath

14. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

The Glock 26 is sweet. Here is one with a G19 barrel, to impress the chicks:

[​IMG]

15. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

There are a few things that I do to pretty much any Glock I buy.
    First is switching out the sights. The polymer sights will probably give you problems if you do a lot of presentations from a holster, of if you're going to be carrying it around every day. Trijicons are good, I tried the Mepros with the orange/green combo and really liked them. Big Dot sights are good, fast sight as well.
    The second thing is switching out the factory slide lock for the enlarged slide lock. I have big hands, so the enlarged lock fits me better. Some people don't like them. The lock I use is the factory Glock version that has a small raised triangular area towards the rear of the lever; it is not the lock that has an extended section that protrudes farther back.
    The third thing is the Vickers enlarged mag release. It is just slightly longer than a factory standard mag release button, and not as long as the Glock competition mag release which can be activated by putting the pistol down on its left side. The Vickers release is just long enough to allow me to hit the mag release comfortably without having the change my grip or rotate the pistol at all.
    I got a pair of the Concealable Control plates. I can't decide if I like them or not.
    You got a good price on your 26. I got mine as a blue label purchase for about $100 less, but your cost is about what a standard G26 goes for around here.

16. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input.

I went ahead and purchased some Concealable Control floorplates and those just arrived today. I like them. I'm also going to try to make it out and shoot it this weekend sometime. I just haven't been able to yet and it's killing me!

I also went ahead and made a leather belt sheath for it earlier this week and I'm going to try it out as well. How does everyone like to carry theirs? The holster I made seems to carry well from about 3 o'clock - 6 o'clock. Just curious how others carry their G26...

Heath

17. M24shooter

M24shooter Loaded Pockets

I use a Raven Concealment Ghost.

[​IMG]

This shows a 19 in it, but it works with all the 9/40/357 frames.

18. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I use the Fobus paddle-style holster: works great, reasonably priced, fairly sturdy (had mine about 7 or 8 years and used it at least 5 or 6 days a week).

19. pcsheriff1

pcsheriff1 Loaded Pockets

I got a Glock 27. Same gun different caliber. Department approved and the ammo is free to qualify. If I was buying for myself I woould definitely go with a 26. Cheap ammo and for the most part very good accuracy and extremely ewliable as a whole brand. Hope this helps.

20. mikeocsd

mikeocsd Empty Pockets

I have carried the Glock 26 for about 2 years now. Pair it with a Glock 23 magazine and extension and it will give you many options for size and capacity depending on comfort or what your are wearing on a particular day. The 26 magazine makes for a very short grip, but liveable and it will disappear if your wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Can't go wrong really. I carry a Glock 22 on duty with the 26 as backup and the 26 off duty every day. I always thought Glocks were ugly, but they 100% dependable and the simplicity of point and shoot when it counts can't be beat. I highly recommend it, and good on you for carrying.