1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shotguns for home defense... need recommendations.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by greymethod, Jul 20, 2009.

1. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

The logic that I was trained to use in that type of situation was simple, you are entering into a gun battle without knowledge how many opponents you face and how well they are armed or how determined they are. With that in mind the first rule is to never offer your opponent an advantage over you which is exactly what charging a pump action shotgun, shouting out a warning, or using less than lethal munitions does. The second is to determine your own mindset. Do you plan to survive the encounter or have yourself added to the list of victims that were tortured, raped, or killed by intruders who came into their home?

To those that bring patterns into the argument I'd suggest measuring the distance from the defensive side of the bed to the entry points of the room and then safely replicating them at your firing range to test your pattern theories to solidify them or offer you time to sort out a different solution. Myself, I use #2 buck and my shotgun from under the bed is a Mossberg 590 like others who have posted before me. While you are at the range I'd suggest you also tinker with your angle of attack to help wrap your head around firing positions that would lessen the possibility of harming family members who are beyond your line of fire.

I mention the defensive side of the bed as that is the place that I will be staying as I have been trained not to try to take the fight into an unknown enemy while I am still waking up and the mix of adrenalin with the fog of just waking make for a dangerous concoction.

I usually stay far away from these types of conversations because I have a much different outlook on the situation than others. You see, I have in my possession a set of keys to a house that I sold that I killed two intruders in while I lived in Texas. So with that said people can post all sorts of smug empty headed nonsense onto the internet but I'll close with this. When in doubt about the safety of your loved ones and yourself, remove all doubt. Looking back, my only regret is that those two chose to attempt to victimize me and my family.

2. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Empty Pockets

Only in Canada, eh!

Here is something I came across. Sounds like an ideal home defense shotty.

Dominion Arms Grizzly

•Barrel Length 12.5"
    •12 gauge x 3"

•Mag Capacity: 5

•Fixed Cylinder Bore
    •Heat Shield

•Ghost Ring Sight
    •NON-RESTRICTED
    NOTE: The magazine is designed to function best with 2 3/4" shells

http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=281&cat=0&page=1

add an extra magazine or 2
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=21&cat=0&page=1

add a front rail mount for flashlight, etc
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=62&cat=0&page=1

and possibly a sling mount
    http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=56&cat=0&page=1

light weight, fast handling, and the weight of the ammo located infront of the trigger. What more could you ask for?

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Even if there was no restriction on barrel length I personally would not want to go that short.

4. snaggletooth

snaggletooth Empty Pockets

5. roger.weathersby

roger.weathersby Empty Pockets

Well stated.

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

You are not the only one that has been involved in a shooting. In my case no one died but the four of them when to prison. From what I understand four of us on the forum has actually been involved in a shooting.

My life has been on a steady downhill slope since that time.

There is a saying saying that really does not mean anything but at the same time it does. Back in the 60's you would here someone say the winner was the fastest with the mostest. See, it does not really say anything.

Most self defense situations are not the same as a military battle, they are different things. I would hazard to guess that most police shootings are a little different when a civilian is involved in a legal shooting.

My shotgun is a Remington 870 Special field with an extention tube for a total of 7 rounds. It is one of the few things I have not sold off yet. It might get sold to attempt to recover but I still have it. The truth is I would rather have a Browning BPS or an old Ithica but the 870 is good enough. I like the other two better due to bottom ejection. My stock is walnut, I would not feel any worse off or any better off if was a birch stock or synthetic, I do prefer the straight grip over the semi pistol grip or full pistol grip. Even with that said I would rather have something I could never afford, a well balanced well regulated double.

The reason is something I think you would have to try out to understand. If you where to try out a well refined double you will find it is very fast at getting a first hit. I do realize that being aware of what is happening is more important and knowing what to do is important as well but I am willing to bet almost everyone can get a much faster first hit with a double than they can with a pump or an autoloader. Now if you can get into a defensive position handing qualities are not as important.

Than advantage of a fine regulated double is how easy it is to get the first hit and second hit with it's natural pointing abilities. The advantage of the pumps and autoloaders is capacity. This is oddly coming from someone involved in an incident where there where four felons. I do think getting the first hit is important, I also think not running out is also important. But If I have to gamble I want to bet the first hit is most important. I would trade my 870 in a heart beat for a good properly set up double. The decline of the double was cost. Regulating a gun is very expensive. The first repeating shotguns came in at a lower price than a double can be regulated.

7. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

My plain-vanilla, 45-year-old, 870 20ga. has a 26" barrel, but I like it too much to cut it down. That full choke barrel puts all the pellets of a #3 buckshot load into a paper plate at 15 yards, and it isn't hard to do!

In its current state, that 870 has been shot a lot, and it feels like an extension of my body. I would hate to change the feel of this gun.

I see the shotgun as a fort-up-and-hold tool. We don't have kids, so we can just stay in the bedroom and call the police. The long barrel is no disadvantage from behind the bed, across our bedroom, and I can explain after a shooting that I grabbed my trap shotgun. If I ever have to use it at a longer distance, that choke will be very important to me.

All my best,
    Dirty Bob

8. Super94BIGFOOT

Super94BIGFOOT Empty Pockets

I would go with an 870 you can make em very tactical and they are very reliable and affordable.

9. Treedog

Treedog Empty Pockets

The 870 would be my choice.

10. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

Shorter the better for me. The 14" barrel on my 870 makes it far more maneuverable in the bush or hallways of my house.

[​IMG]

11. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

First- beautiful weapon, wish I could own a sbs.
    Second - What stock adapter are you running? How do you like it when combined with the ghost sights?
    Third(and last)- What model of sf pump is that and how is it working for you?

12. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Why no suggestions for a Saiga 12?

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Home defense is a bit different than a police or militart action. I would feel better with something with fewer things to get hung up on things and handled better. I am also not convined that tacticalized shotguns protect you any better than a conventional stock.

14. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

I was referring to the basic Saiga 12...the sporterized version. Conventional stock...and potential for higher round capacity than a pump action. There is also no pumping action involved, which I thought seemed like an advantage too. I dunno, it just seems like it would make more sense to me.

15. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

No SBR rules in Canada for pump actions. Just a minimum OAL of 26 inches. 14" and 12.5" are common with even 8" barrels available.

That's one of the very first Messa Tactical low tube adapters. It lets you run the right cheek weld for the Wilson Combat tritium sights. Fantastic combo. I have a Magpul CTR on it these days.

Surefire 618 FA. Another great piece of kit.