1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shorter aftermarket scales for Para 3 - does it exist?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by aicolainen, Sep 4, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

So, I finally gave in. A Para 3 Maxamet is in the mail and should be here in a few days

The PM2 was one of the first quality knives I bought. I liked everything about it except the length.
    Partly it was larger than I needed for EDC, but the grip was also way larger than required for my quite narrow hands. The compression lock, smooth action and grippy G10 was no less than addictive, so when the rumors of the Para3 reached a point where I felt an official release was approaching, I sold my PM2. I was so sure it would be the right knife for me.
    Then it dropped, and for someone that was anticipating a PM2 that was significantly more geared toward smaller hands and ease of carry, the result looked underwhelming.

I still haven't held one in my hand, but judging from video reviews it seems the stupidly large lanyard tube with its just as stupid placement adds more length to the handle than what is required to protect the blade.
    So, for anyone who bothered to read this far, my question is if anyone know about aftermarket scales that gets rid of the lanyard tube and thus shortens the scale and grip area accordingly?
    Material is of less importance; G10, micarta or CF are all just fine. Price... yeah, I don't have an unlimited budget for this, but I really want to get it right, so I´ll be willing to stretch a bit.
    I have sleeping accounts on Blade forums and the Spyderco forum that might be better suited for questions like this, but this is my home turf, so I´m trying here first ;-)

Again, sorry for the lenghty post, I really don´t know how to make them short. It’s a real problem.

2. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Not just the scales, the steel liners would need to be cut as well. Also you couldn't get rid of the full lanyard tube, about 10% of the area it consumes is in line with the tip of the blade. In other words if you did cut the liners down, and the scales to completely eliminate the tube you'd have a millimeter or two of the blade tip hanging out the end. The lanyard tube is about 2.5mm, then you have about .75mm of liner/scales beyond that so in the end after having the liners cut, and the scales replaced/cut your only going to safely lose a couple mm at most of overall length on the grip area of the knife.

Flytanium is coming out with a plug to fill lanyard tube holes for Para 3/PM2, but not exactly what your looking for as an end result. I've not seen anyone selling scales as you describe, so that would leave you to find someone to do some custom work for you.

If I absolutely had to have a slightly shorter version of the Para 3 I would probably just take the knife to a saw belt sander and remove the full tube, cut the scales and liners back use the belt sander and some handwork to finish it. Then after getting it to the length I want I'd re-profile the blade to get it safely back in the liners.

Could be done, but honestly I'd probably be hunting for a different knife to fill this niche.

Pictures below, finger intentionally left in to help with scale.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. aicolainen

@ccwaters , thanks a lot for that thorough explanation!

I didn't take into account that the liners are full length. That probably explains why no one does what I'm looking for.

I've seen some custom micarta scales that does away with the lanyard tube, but they seem to be full length. Maybe sometime in the future when I have more experience in modding I could try to cut down the liners and adapt some tubeless scales to just cover the length of the blade, but honestly I think it's going to stay the way it is. There seems to be a lot of satisfied Para3 owners around, so there is probably enough good to overcome the few nitpicks people seem to have with it.

And maybe we'll se a Para3 v2 someday. I'm certainly not the first to be disappointed by blade to handle ratio and clip vs tube placement priorities, and Spyderco have kind of acknowledged some of that feedback with the Para3 LW. Time will show...

ccwaters likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have the Para 3 LW and I really like it. Even with the 'standard' Spydie clip it disappears in my pocket better than a PM2. Also keep in mind that the Para 3 LW is now using the new BD1N steel, which is getting a lot of really good reviews on multiple websites.. Check BF.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

aicolainen likes this.
  5. aicolainen

@ccwaters now that I have it in hand, I see things a little clearer.
    First of all, I won't be modding it. It's definitely longer than it need to be, but even with my smallish hand I have contact with the full length of the top side of the scales.I don't need all that contact, but it's definitely less annoying than excess handle sticking out.

I don't know if it's worth it to spend more energy than I already have, complaining over the smaller details of this knife, but it really bugs my mind that Spyderco of all manufacturers can put out a product where so may details seem like an after thought, at best. I've been involved in product design for a long time myself, and this is reminiscent of something designed in a boardroom, and not by an enthusiast knife designer. By that I mean that the end result seem to be compromised by the lack of willingness to make decisions and take some risk. They seem to have decided in advance that the blade length shall not exceed 3", probably because that is the legal limit many places. In addition they seem to be desperately trying to keep all the elements that made the PM2 a success, even though there isn't enough space to do it in a good way. We end up with a small blade in a large, cluttered handle that could easily have been a small blade in a small(er) handle, or a larger blade in the current handle. Either way they could have made it less cluttered, more ergonomic and deeper carry.