1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shortened a couple more ballpoint pens today

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by parnass, May 31, 2006.

1. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I shortened a couple of ball point pens today so they are easier to carry and take up less space. (The Sharpie and other pen are shown for comparison.) I'm EDC'ing a Zebra Telescopic pen, but I had some time and wanted to make these "freebie" pens more useful.

Attached Files:

2. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Okay, you can't just post something like this without spilling the beans...how'd you do it, parnass?

3. xDANx

xDANx Banned

You remove the end cap and cut down the barrel.

4. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Yeah, but the ink...just wait for the ink cartridge to be halfway empty? Or use certain refill?

5. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

You can buy crystal bic pens in a small size 4pack.

Lee

6. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Reeeallly? I did not know that. Interesting little mod.

7. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

An old M.E. friend used to do this with Bick sticks. But as an added bonus he would add a second color into the but end. He would just pull out the nib/ink unit, cut the ink tube and blot on a paper towel. You do not even have to take out the end cap as it will be removed when you cut the barrel down.

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

The easiest pens to shorten are those which have a barrel of uniform diameter, i.e., a non-tapering barrel and a clear plastic ink cartridge so you can see the ink. The ink cartridge should be partially depleted. (I made a real mess when I cut a cartridge which was still full of ink.)

Determine how short you want the pen by holding it in your hand and marking the barrel at the shortest length which will be comfortable to hold. I wrapped a small piece of masking tape around the barrel at the place I wanted to cut.

Disassemble the pen as completely as possible.

You will be cutting the exact same amount off the barrel as you cut off the ink cartridge. If you remove different lengths from the barrel and cartridge, the clickie type pens will no longer function properly.

Make sure to cut the ink cartridge at a point where there is no ink to avoid a mess. I used a set of strong wire cutters to cut the plastic ink cartridge. I used a scroll saw to cut the barrel, though you can use a hacksaw or bandsaw. Use small files to remove any burrs left on the end of the barrel you just cut.

Reinsert the cartridge inside the pen and reassemble the pen. I use silicone spray to lubricate the end of the pen which is usually a "force fit" into the barrel. Sometimes, I have to use a small hammer to tap the end back into the barrel.

You can purchase small pens, but I've never bought a pen except for one package of Zebra Telescopic pens. We get pens as freebies at banks, shows, businesses, doctor offices, etc.

Attached Files:

9. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

Pentel has come out with a Mini RSVP ballpoint now. Same diameter as the original but about half the length. Target had them in a 4 pack with one each black, blue, green and purple. I think that they were ~$2.50 a pack.

10. dakota

dakota Empty Pockets

11. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I think I will start to give that a try. But I guess you have to find ones that will just push in instead of screw in at the top portion of the pen.

12. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

WalMart has them now, too.

todd

13. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I'm going to Wal-Mart today in fact. I going to check that out.

14. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I shortened another ballpoint pen, a Papermate Comfortmate Grip. The ink level was down about half way before I cut it.

Attached Files:

15. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I was wondering how it would work if you used a hot-knife to cut the ink cartridge? Would the knife actually seal it?

16. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I suspect that sealing the end of the cartridge would inhibit ink flow.

A diagonal cutter (wire cutter) cuts the ink cartridge easily. I either leave the end open with about 3/16" to spare or insert a filter into the end of the cartridge if the pen had a filter originally.

17. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

i got today 1 Pentel R.S.V.P. mini and 1 Pilot supergrip XS, very nice! Pilot is great :thumbsup:

regards

18. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

I shortened a Bic Round Stic. It came out really nice. I cut the cartridge and dabbed out about 3mm of ink out of the top and sealed it with Vaseline. So far, it hasn't leaked and has worked fine. Let me know if this method works for you! It is easier than running down the ink level manually then cutting it.

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/44873/2004550068108137746_rs.jpg

19. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Nice job. I didn't think about using petroleum jelly -- an interesting approach. Thanks.

I shortened a bunch of pens during the past few months and gave some away to friends. It is fun watching the surprise show on their faces when I pull a half size pen from my pocket!
    :lolhammer:

20. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

I got the petroleum jelly idea from looking at gel pens, for instance on the Pilot G2, it is sealed with some sort of waxy/gel-like stuff. I showed my friends but they weren't too impressed with my new pen :( I'm going to buy a bunch of pens tonight and make a lot of shorties!