1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shortcoming of fountain pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by jzmtl, May 13, 2009.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

It doesn't work on those multi page forms where second pages etc. are wrote with pressure from first page. :brickwall:

Was at the post office sending something, have all the forms filled out before hand and ready to hand in and leave. The postal lady looked it over and informed me that none of the second page was filled, since fountain pen doesn't produce enough pressure to mark them, doh!

Had to trace everything over with a ball point pen, good thing I have a F301 compact in my wallet. :lolhammer:

2. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

I cant count the number of stains I have on shirts, pants and other assorted daily wear :lolhammer:

3. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Well, I just spent a while searching for a product page I thought I saw some time ago.
    Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall a fountain pen nib design that had a weird sort of triangular construction. It would write mostly like a fountain pen, but could apply enough pressure to work on carbon copies.

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

A Google search reveals that the Parker 51, with its fine, rigid, and hooded nib, might be enough to write through carbon copies. I'm not going to try that with my vintage one though...

5. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

And in all the years I've used them, I've had exactly zero stains. Dunno if it's luck or clean living. ;D

As for carbons and multipart forms, I always have my Fisher Bullet in my pocket for those.

6. Tuxedomoon

Tuxedomoon Empty Pockets

these are the Lamy Ballpoint-NIBs (for the Safari)

7. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

The Sailor Trident and the Parker 180 were both extremely rigid nibs which could easily be used with carbon copies. The Sailor was three nibs back to back in a triangle shape which is probably what you are remembering. It could be held and used just like a ball point.

Now the trick isto find one of them. Both are out of production and the Sailors are very hard to find for less than a C note.

Cheers,
    Sean

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I had to give up using fountain pens on a regular basis. As an amateur Writer, story ideas would often flow too quickly from my mind, down to my hand. I had to deliberately slow down my writing, otherwise I'd risk damaging the nib. Even switching to a Parker 45 with a broad nib was no help.

Smoothest BP refills I've found are the standard ones from Waterman, Cross, and Parker. No fear of damaging the tips on a BP. And if I do, I just replace the refill. No more having to slow down.

9. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

This is competly off topic but a cool thing I just remembered. The preacher that married me, when he was starting out he wrote the entire bible word for word with a fountain pen in calligraphy. I guess he never made a mistake, and had it signed by a few of the Decans at the time. He tells everyone he "wrote" the bible lol. Great guy.

10. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

If you like vintage fountain pens, look for pens listed with a manifold nib. This were specifically intended for use with carbons. I have had pretty good luck with Parker 51s and Lamy Safaris on duplicate forms.

These days generally carry a cheapish ballpoint or very fine point rollerball these days (Pilot G3 .38mm or Uniball Signo RT .38mm) as a backup to my fountain pens. I generally don't like to loan out my good pens, so this way I have something to loan and something to use on forms. ;)

11. seafire

seafire Empty Pockets

I like my Lamy Studio. However, every time I use it (often) I look down and my thumb has an ink stain from the section. Every time :laugh:.

12. inzelique

inzelique Loaded Pockets

As a lefty, I tend to find fountain pens an exercise in frustation and frequent hand washing :brickwall:. Have any of the other lefties tried the fountain pens that are supposedly designed for the left hand? Do they work, or just smear all over the place as usual?