1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Short Pocket EDC Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by timebomb, Jan 15, 2019.

1. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

please don't interpret my post as insult, I hold similar views as far as minimalism goes.
    my dexterity is not as good as a guitar picker for sure.
    there is a wallet I am interested in with a few slots for small tools and a loop for a pen, to me this would be more useful than a dedicated slip for one or two things, the ability to keep my cards, cash, cadet or prytool, flashlight and pen together and not add much bulkis a good way to keep from searching my pockets and fumbling around amongst the other items.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I carry a Zebra SF-L1 in my wallet and the process of using doesn't feel as tedious as it sounds when you list out all the steps.

I used to use an organizer made with elastic and staples (yes, it looked hideous) and did not find bulk to be an issue. In fact, it kept things flatter in my pocket. I could consistently reach into my pocket and draw the tool more quickly with the organizer, though I did have to pull the organizer out to stow the tool away again.

Some of our other practitioners of minimalism find a slip-case-style organizer to contribute to their style. There's a lot of room for personal taste in the world of EDC - that's part of what makes it so fascinating.

keycutter and ox71 like this.
  3. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Nope! That not how I get things in and out of my pocket at all. These sleeve keep things stand up in my pocket. As I reach in I know exactly where everything is. I can pull things out and put them back with the sleeve in my pocket.

keycutter, ox71 and jag-engr like this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Why bother with the sleeve at all?...that's my point...just clip the pen on the pocket where you can reach it without the need for anything else...same for my flashlight..or keys....anything else is simply superfluous...unless you're Batman....;)

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I didn't think you meant it as an insult--no worries. You & I agree about the lack of need for individual slips.

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I don't think you can claim minimalism as your mindset if you carry enough to need an organizer on your person--wallet excepted, of course. As I said previously, I'm not trying to convert anyone to minimalism... I personally dislike carrying a lot of things on me that are better left or carried elsewhere....I realize everyone's mileage may vary. That's why I enjoy hanging out here...the variety of ideas and opinions always piques my interest. :)

7. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

“....his watch was in a case made of grey chamois leather, and when he took out his penknife to sharpen his pencil, his penknife, too, was in a little case; and his face seemed to be in a case too, because he always hid it in his turned-up collar.”

From the short story “the man in the case” by Anton Chekhov.

tbzbbt

That Movie Guy likes this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

This is moving off topic, but still interesting.
    I definitely consider myself to be in the Less is more camp and I don't have a pocket slip/organizer, yet.
    But the idea intrigues me. I understand it adds weight and bulk, but I'm not a big fan of clipping everything and the kitchen sink to my front pockets either. As of right now, only my pen and knife has that privilege, but the pen sometimes fall out so I might want a more secure solution before I move to a more expensive pen. Knife laws are also quite ubiquitous around here, so I might also carry my knife in a slip if I find something suitable.
    There might also be a positive side effect. I change pants regularly, like most people I assume, and I would think that a pocket slip would make it easier to keep track of and not loose items in that "between pants" time frame.

Tesla and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

How can I look like Batman when everything is hidden in my pocket? Batman would have a row of clips lined his pocket with things half sticking out. like you. I’m done discussing this with you Batman.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  10. brwe01

brwe01 Empty Pockets

I always thought the main idea, after writability, was to have enough heft w/a point that could do a good job of "puncturing tires". No?

11. brwe01

brwe01 Empty Pockets

It's the O-ring that provides the friction fit & it, along with every other piece of the pen, comes with a lifetime warranty!

12. koni

koni Loaded Pockets

I carry an Alvin Draft-O-Matic in .9mm, loaded with hb or 2b depending on pricing and availability. Have a Staedtler (2.0mm) and a Kaweco Sport (solid brass) lead holder (5-6mm) that I will carry, the Kaweco is by far the most finicky, but use it for sketching