1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Short Pocket EDC Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by timebomb, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'd advise against the Parker gel refill. They are prone to leak..not usually ink but the gel goo that's on top of most gel refills. It's a documented problem with them. Also, the blue gel Parker runs like mad if it gets wet. It becomes "invisible" ink quickly if that happens. I'd recommend the Schmidt Easy Flow hybrid ink. It writes very close to gel, but doesn't leak or run.

RED-FIVE and RMinNJ like this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well stated. You beat me to it....! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RED-FIVE and Tesla like this.
  3. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the quality metal Tombox XPA. Ballpen with no cap to lose. Telescopic reveal but solidly built, tactical strength when closed. No idea what the refill is.
    https://www.tomboweurope.com/en/bc-xpa11-xpa.html

tbzbbt

4. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

Pressurized refill implies refill is Fisher Space Pen . Other Parker like refills may fit. I'm not familiar with this pen.

5. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

That's a Tombow pressurized D-1 refill...not rebranded.

ox71 likes this.
  7. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

I've had my Titanium Nitride Space Pen for 5 years and 3 days. Cap has never come off by itself. I bought a set of refills but I'm still on the first ink..

[​IMG]

As you can see, there has been a slight issue otherwise. So far the pen has always slipped out and ended in my pocket, this time it is gone for good... Of course I have no idea if I have dropped it today or yesterday and where. All I know, it is no longer in my possession.

I guess it is time to shop a better wallet too. Seriously, I'm almost willing to kick a puppy at this moment. Almost.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I've had this issue with Space Pens, too, though mine usually slips out of the cap. I've never lost one that way, but it was annoying.

Of late, I have been carrying a Zebra SL-F1 telescoping pen. It is smaller in diameter and slightly shorter than the bullet pen, and the clip is integral to the pen. It would not be a good back-up pen for extended writing (which the FSP can achieve), but it feels like a better fit for the wallet pen category. You can find the pens for under $5 if you look around. The default ink refill is not a pressurized cartridge, but it takes a standard-sized D1 refill, leaving you with numerous options, including Fisher's U series cartridges, the hybrid ink Uni Jetstream cartridges, or even gel cartridges (which I wouldn't recommend for a wallet pen).

RED-FIVE and RMinNJ like this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@timebomb: I'm a big fan of Fisher. Been using the 'bullet' Space Pen for years and multiple pens (one in the car, one in a pocket, one in my blood glucose kit, etc). I've NEVER had a cap come off in any circumstances by itself. If you've not handled a 'bullet' space pen, take a look at one. There is a rubber o-ring on the body that not only seals to reduce the chance of drying out, but also contributes to the cap retention.

As far as the clip goes... maybe best I not discuss those ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

GRH likes this.
  10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

While I haven't had the "cap" come off, I've had the brass insert which retains the pen tip cone come loose from thermal expansion when left in a car in Texas (God's oven). The pressure from the spring in the "pen" part then finished pushing the insert out of the pen. So yes the bullet is not "bulletproof". This is the reason I no longer use the bullet pens. I do have a modded Zebra 301-C that I have a Fisher refill in and I prefer it because it won't accidentally come apart AND it has a usable clip on it. If you carry a pen loose in a pocket, this may not matter, but I usually clip the pen for fast reference for signatures.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't live in Texas, but I'm close by in Arkansas. I try not to leave pens in the car during the summer - the ink hardens from being baked.

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Back when I was an adult leader our Boy Scout troop did their summer camp in Arkansas. I agree it can be hot there. I'm originally from Carlsbad, NM & it's hot there, as well, but dryer. Either way, spending a week in a tent in the summer in Arkansas was no picnic & standing near a Scout bonfire for a ceremony definitely made the sweat pop. I've had no particular heat related ink issues, though, and I leave pens in all our cars year round, so I always have one when needed. I just find it somewhat humorous that a so-called "Space Pen" comes undone in hot (harsh) environments....:) If carried in a pocket, the bullet pen may never develop this symptom, but for my use, it was a deal-breaker & I think anyone considering one should know about the issue--I leave it to them to determine if it matters to them. For the record, all my comments relate only to the "bullet" Space Pen..not the astronaut or click-o-matic ones.

jag-engr likes this.
  13. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I lost the clip on my space pen..pen fell into my pocket... so I'm in better shape there.. I suppose I could try super glue on a new clip..
    Real bummer though on that pen..I know the feeling. My space pen itself was lost and turned up in a pocket of shorts.

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yep...the pocket clips on the "bullet" pen are sub-par. After I gave my bullet pen away (see post #90 for more on why), I got a Fisher x-750 which is similar, but has an integral clip. I have not had any "separation anxiety" with the x-750. I still have it & cycle it into my EDC sporadically, but let's be honest--the Fisher refills are not the greatest writers, so these days my EDC pen is usually my Machine Era compact with a Schmidt Easy Flow D1 refill.

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I have had two bullet pens and never had an issue with the clip slipping. My issue is usually with the pen slipping out of the cap. I did have a clip physically snap (with some help from my 3-year-old nephew) and I noticed when I removed it that the cap was slightly dented under the clip, which was probably helping to hold it on. I don't know if that was a design feature or just a coincidence.

They fill a niche. They are superior writers when it comes to signing slick receipt paper, which is the primary purpose for which I used mine. I'm a lefty and have a hard time writing with normal ball point pens.

Tesla likes this.
  16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I agree they do fill a niche or they wouldn't sell well. The clip slipping on bullet pens is a commonly noted problem, however and is understandable due to the shape of the pen. I've not had any issues with writing on receipts of any kind with Easy Flow ink (gel is iffy sometimes), but I can't address the portsider issue, being starboard, myself..:)

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It sounds like I need to try out that Schmidt Easy Flow ink. I'm currently carrying a telescoping Zebra SL-F1, and it takes the D1 refills.

FWIW, my favorite ink to date is the Uni Jetstream ink (based on the cheap Bic-style Uni 101 pens), which also comes in a D1 refill.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  18. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

D1/4C size UNI JETSTREAM SXR - 200 05 ...Refills have been excellent in the Skillcraft B3 and Sharbo-X for precise jotting and GTD card notes.

Also also use the D1/4C size JSB - 0.5 ZEBRA (RJSB5-BK) • Gel Ink Rollerball refills as a change to satisfy my liquid ink moods.

+Schmidt Easy Flow, wish it came in finer points though!
    ;)

Tesla likes this.
  19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Different strokes...:cool: The thing I like about the Easy Flow D1 is the (somewhat broader) tip size. I have the Zebra emulsion in another "short pen" and it writes well, but is a little finer than I like to use...I'm just too cheap to change it out before it runs out. BTW, 4C is Zebra's designation for their ballpoint ink in the D1 format, not a size...just want to make sure someone doesn't buy a 4C thinking it's hybrid or gel.:eek:

RED-FIVE likes this.
  20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Those Skilcraft pens are nice. I just loose pens too quickly to justify replacing it again. I have to stick with the cheap pens.

RED-FIVE likes this.