1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Short Pocket EDC Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by timebomb, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised that no one has suggested the Fisher telescoping pen. No need to worry about a removable cap being lost. Don't know what this is? Here's a listing on Amazon:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

echo victor likes this.
  2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I agree in part, but a negative to the retractable pens is the pointy end jabbing you when carried in a pants pocket...and the Fisher lacks a pocket clip, which can be rectified, of course, but it probably should be part of the package at the price.

3. Moshe ben David

I actually carry mine in a leather slip case together with a Streamlight Microstream. FYI, the slip case is just a repurposed Kaweco slip case which I think was intended for a Kaweco Liliput or a Kaweco Sport. Not sure how I settled on this but works for me!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ecksdog likes this.
  4. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Actually despite a bit longer than the Bullets, this is a much handier pen for me.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. OhCanada

OhCanada Loaded Pockets

I have lost 2 Fisher Bullet pens so that is $60+ gone in Canada. I picked up 4 of the 301C from this thread yesterday and they are the same length as my 2"x4" Toughbuilt note pads. This provides me with note taking ability when out for a total of about $5:50 per pen/pad set, compare that to a $30+ Bullet pen and $7-$9 Rite-In-The-Rain pad; I won't cry if I lose these.

6. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

If you like the form factor of the Bullet, but not the price...these are quite worthy of consideration:
    https://pokkapens.com/

Davidka and jag-engr like this.
  7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Right you are! On a side note, if you open up the opening at the tip of the pen with a #38 drill bit, you can use a Fisher refill if you want the low-bucks Space Pen experience.

ox71 likes this.
  8. Bladerunner337

Bladerunner337 Loaded Pockets

9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Have you heard of and/or considered the Böker Plus Tactical Pen K.I.D. CAL .50 (again, not a mouthful of a name at all)? It stays around 4.25" in length as a pocketable bolt-action writing instrument, and although it doesn't seem long enough to do so, it will handle any Parker-compatible International G2 refill. Mine had an issue (subjective, though, and detailed in that thread) early on where it was from a batch with a shorter shaft on the bolt, which meant that the bottom surface (or face closer to the barrel) of the "head" of the bolt scraped the sides of the bolt slot, and so, after a bit of time to ship it back for a longer bolt replacement, that issue was repaired for the cost of shipping.

Kept that one in the front pants pocket for my daily driver until I got the first iteration of Machine Era's Field Pen (which has a side-button retract mechanism - aside - I have a few of their options, like the compact Field Pen as well, fwiw). It'll actually clamp onto the pocket material of button-down shirts when I wear those.

Otherwise, I keep the old-style Inka Titanium with my keys and the Fisher Millennium (seen at the 1st url) which I still have and have used since 2010, if any of those are ones you might wanna check out.

:cool:

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I have had my Fisher BSP come apart in my wallet on occasion, but it has never been a problem for me. It could probably be remedied rather easily by replacing the o-ring that provides the friction with a thicker one.

I bought some Pokka Pens to try out, and they snap together in both the opened and closed position, but the standard model does not write as well as the Fisher for me (I'm a lefty) and the pen just feels cheap. I imagine that the RITR Pokka pens probably have a cartridge comparable to the Fisher BSP.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I've seen them, but it misses the mark for me because of material & construction & ergonomics. A pen that size in aluminum is just too light for me, and I could not live with the pointy/conical bolt "knob". Something this size in stainless steel would be great but my Machine Era Compact pretty much fulfills that. A well made pen this size that uses Parker size refills would get my attention, however....Will @ Tactile Turn, are you listening?

13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Sorta mentioned it in that other thread (that the cool hand offering had a similar bolt), but anyway, I had the same concern about the head of the bolt of the Böker Plus Tactical Pen K.I.D. CAL .50, that the projection might be a pain when it's in the front pants pocket, but I never had any issues with it.

Still, I like and use my original MEC Field Pen more nowadays. It came with a Schmidt MegaLine 4889 M refill, which is the same dimensions as the Fisher SPR4 refill w/o adapter, and if that one could instead have been configured to house the Parker-compatible International G2 refill, then it would've been ideal.

14. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, the image is deceptive with the perspective of the shot, since the Machine Era Co. Field Pen is longer than the Fisher Millennium, yet here's a pic of the current daily drivers...
    [​IMG]

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I actually have the Schmidt MegaLine Parker size refills in one of my mongrel pens that I use for outdoor activities...(same ink/different configuration). I must say it seems to me to be a better writer than the Space Pen refill.

16. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, guess I forgot this detail - about 5 years ago, I got a ThinkGeek gift card for Christmas, and with it, along with a Gerber Dime, I must've also gotten one of the translucent Inka Mobile Pens (maybe since it wasn't my funds?) - noticed recently in a pen container when I thought I recognized the clip (sooo, I haven't been usin' it, lol).

Here be j.mp/2InkaPens fwiw:
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, maybe that Inka Mobile Pen & Stylus'll work for you (even though it's not metal and the cap is threaded)? Just a thought.

17. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

For some esoteric possibilities take a look at Tombow XPA or the more conventional Fischer Trekker.

I have a metal Kaweco "Short Black" pen and 2mm clutch pencil with a faceted design in a small leather pouch. Also interesting is the Kaweco Liliput fountain pen.

tbzbbt

surefire7 likes this.
  18. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've got a pair of Kaweco AL Sport pens (rose gold and brass). Both have stopped working, despite extensive cleaning with both plain warm water and fountain pen cleaning agent. The cleaning agent (Herbin, a French brand) produced the best results, but within weeks, both pens again failed, the internal mechanisms of the nib/feed system clogging up (this using Kaweco inks, even); it appears the nib mechanisms are utterly crap, which is a hell of a shame, as I love the overall design :( So, I'm looking to replace them. Any suggestions for a good quality daily use pocket fountain pen, that doesn't cost the earth, and is available in the UK in a brass or copper finish?

19. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Deleted

20. Moshe ben David

Many like the Kaweco Lilliput; but given your current experience with Kaweco I'm not sure of your reaction.

You might want to look at the Pilot E95S pens. They carry quite compactly in the pocket. Pilot pens have a deservedly great reputation for nibs and feeds. Note that like all Japanese fountain pens they tend to write a more narrow line than the same size designation of a European or US pen. Meaning that what they identify as a medium nib some of us might feel is more of a fine line. Street price of these is about $136.

If you could find one I'd also recommend the Pilot M90; but it would be more expensive for sure...!

TWSBi pens from Taiwan are also getting a good reputation as daily use fountain pens. I don't have any personal experience with them but from what I read they should be considered.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RogerStenning likes this.