1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Short Pocket EDC Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by timebomb, Jan 15, 2019.

1. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I've been looking for a short EDC pen that I can carry around in my pocket and haven't found anything that's satisfying yet. What I'm looking for is:
    • As short as possible when it's capped (sub 4")
    • At least 4.5" when posted
    • Cap shouldn't screw in
    • Metal body
    • Optional: Takes Uni Style Fit Gel Multi Pen Refill
    I would've gone with a Fisher Bullet Space Pen but I read that the two pieces of the body are only friction fitted rather than screwed together so they come apart after use.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your guys' suggestions!

2. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

How about those telescopic Zebra pens?

wolfderuyter and timebomb like this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Zebra 301C with Tofty adapter....or with cutoff Z-Mulsion refill

timebomb likes this.
  4. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

My favorite short EDC pen is the Ti Pocket Pro from Big Idea Design. Titanium body. It's only 4.1" when retracted. It's writing length varies depending on the length of the refill you are using. It takes an amazing number of different refills. Problem with your criteria is it's a twist deploy rather than capped; however for EDC I actually prefer that because it's one less piece I have to do something with to make sure I don't lose the cap.

Anyway, I have two of them (one each of both the stonewashed titanium and the antique black) and I use them every single day. LOVE these pens and I anticipate they will last a lifetime.

Tarponfly49 and timebomb like this.
  5. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

I checked them out but they don't really do it for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

6. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

This Zebra 301 Compact is pretty much exactly what I was hoping would exist! Are there other pens like this that are "fancier"? Something made out of brass or matte black would be great.

Also, what a Tofty adapter or a cutoff Z-Mulsion refill?

7. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

That is a very slick looking pen. I think this might fit the bill too but I feel less willing to drop that much money on a pen I haven't held. It looks like they have a good return policy but I'll try out the 301C before going down this road.

8. kk40

kk40 Empty Pockets

I recommend the Fisher Bullet. It comes in a flat black, and brass - which is very sharp. It's 3.5" closed, 5.25" posted, takes Parker size refills, and is virtually indestructible. With respect to the barrel separating: it doesnt happen with every pen, and a tiny dab of Loctite is any easy fix.

swedishelite22 likes this.
  9. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

10. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Those are the ones!!!! I remember I bought refills on eBay. But they work really long.

11. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

How about a hinderer investigator pen. They have matte black and brass(mine is the brass version) I absolutely love this pen. It take fisher space pen refills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE, Kripto and Till like this.
  12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

This is incorrect info. The Fisher Bullet does NOT accept Parker size refills. BTW the barrel separating (in a car in Texas heat) was the reason I gave mine away. It would stay together fine in "normal" temperatures, but Texas heat can be pretty brutal, and is the reason many windshield-mounted rear view mirrors come off here.

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

See below: The zebra refill has to be cut to 3.5" length to fit (no adapter needed, but need to use a shorter spring or cut off the original to fit). The Tofty adapter takes the Uni SXR-80 refill & can use the original spring.
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/59R7G3HYT/adapter-zebra-f-to-uni-sxr-80?optionId=63107470
    https://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-EQ-Surari-Emulsion-Ink-Pen-Refill-0.7-mm-Black/pd/5729#index=0

timebomb likes this.
  14. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

They take standard D1 size refill IIRC.

I've had one of those pens in my wallet for a year now.

15. timebomb

timebomb Loaded Pockets

16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

17. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

How about pokka pens? The design looks interesting and they are cheap. I would order one in orange but they do not ship outside the US.

18. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I’ve carried one for years and don’t think you’ll have to worry about that.

19. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

I second the BigiDesign Ti Pocket Pro...best EDC pen I’ve found for pocket carry and will literally take nearly ANY refill

20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Perhaps the confusion is because the reverse is true. Fisher refills are often packaged in a 'bubble' pack that includes a small end adapter so that they can be used in pen bodies that take Parker refills. Which accounts for MANY ball point and retractable roller ball type pens. I have systematically replaced all of my Parker refills with Fisher refills...

An example of a retractable rb refill pen are the Retro 51 pens. Which can take either Parker bp refills or the rb refill made for Retro 51 by Schmidt. Or of course Fisher refills! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ecksdog likes this.