1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

shopping for a new EDC backpack...suggestions sought

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by bryan123, Aug 31, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'm a middle aged physician and I've always been a backpack guy rather than a briefcase guy. My work attire is a shirt and tie and immediately upon arriving at work I swap my jacket for a white coat to see patients.

I've been using the same LL Bean Deluxe Bookpak #D589 for the last 20 years, both at work and as a weekend bag and a carry-on bag when flying. It's just now beginning to show that it has seen better days, although the zippers and straps are as good as ever. This bag owes me nothing.

The bag is pretty filled every day as I carry a big loose leaf notebook, file folders, medical journals, a Franklin 5.5x8.5 Daytimer hybrid, lunch, as well as EDC stuff and a Vanquest PPM in the front organizer compartment.

I watched some videos from people like the Urban Prepper and PM 101 and I like my Vanquest PPM Husky. So I'm thinking about Vanquest. I'm torn between their backpacks and messenger bag (the larger one). I don't mind spending $ for something nice.

Suggestions please?

2. Redbeane

Redbeane Loaded Pockets

Hi Doc,
    I've carried a Vanquest 20 for the last two years. I've been very pleased with it. The organization is excellent. I carry a number of small items, and the trident has more compartments than I actually need. I've hiked with it, and found it carries well. There are plenty of videos on the trident to check out. BOL to you

bryan123 likes this.
  3. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

I will make the default suggestion of the Alpha One Niner Evade. It has a butt load of EDC capabilities, and probably would not make a middle aged physician look like a mall ninja. Haha

Gary Gross, Spyke and bryan123 like this.
  4. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying the Vanquest 20 for about a year now. Originally saw Urban Prepper's review and bought one. It is a great bag with tons of options. I keep a 1st aid kit, tool kit, electronics kit, laptop and a few other items. Works very well and fits nicely on a 6'0 190lb frame. I highly recommend it for day to day use. If you are looking more toward a stuff and go, I love MR packs. I have a Spartan, ASAP and 3DAP. The Spartan and ASAP are great EDC bags.

5. camporama

camporama Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Evade and the Trident 20.
    If you think it is worth the money, the GORUCK GR1 is quite a piece of gear. I got one a few weeks ago and I don't see how I could go back to any other bag.

Spyke and baccar-3 like this.
  6. jawest12

jawest12 Empty Pockets

Just went through this myself. Went with the the trident 20. It's a great bag. Very well thought out. As far as the tactical look, without patches or anything, I don't think it really stands out. Additionally, there are so many packs now a days that have Molle webbing, it is almost a standard. And finally, I don't give two craps if someone thinks I look like a mall ninja. I carry what I want because I like it. I don't choose what I like based on what others will think.

I carry this in a professional environment, every day.

EXCALIBUR, Myrddraal and camporama like this.
  7. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

5.11 Covrt 18. It's a well-organized bag that doesn't scream "tacticool." I've been using mine for work for about a year and it still looks brand new.

8. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

9. ADelgado

ADelgado Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at this new company's products a lot lately. This may be the bag for you.

https://www.firsttactical.com/products/tactix-1-day-plus-backpack

Good luck in finding your next backpack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10. Raw B

Raw B Loaded Pockets

I've had the khard, MR 3day, and now pulling for an MR streetfighter. While the previous two bags were awesome, they were overkill for my needs.I think a streetfighter would be a great upgrade from your ll bean.

11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Admonish me if you like, but I'm a solo nurse practitioner who wears business attire and a Vanquest Trident 20 to work. It's great for my tablet and other EDC essentials.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  12. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

If your L. L. Bean bag worked well for 20 years why not buy another.

bryan123 likes this.
  13. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

That's my default plan but before doing this I wanted to see what the other options are. Thought there would be some advancements in backpack design and technology in the last 2 decades. The LL Bean design is almost completely unchanged except for the addition of an ear bud hole/port

14. Torque

Torque Loaded Pockets

Osprey Momentum 30, or for a little more tacti-cool maybe a TT urban operator pack in black.

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Goruck GR1-21 and 26 liter, GR2 is 40 liter.

camporama likes this.
  16. mattman587

mattman587 Empty Pockets

Good luck finding a Streetfighter from MR...I called them and they said expect more around January 2017.

17. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Tom Bihn Synapse 25?

18. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Alpha One Niner Evade....the two tone ripstop is nice looking and durable. The bag really is tough to beat. Oh and I'm a middle aged executive....not a brief case type either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My wife, who is about as un-tactical as one can be, really digs the 5.11 COVRT 18. Good organization, appears to be well-made, and looks professional. It's held up very well for the month she's been using it.

20. thegaijin

thegaijin Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure my Gorucks will outlive me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camporama and chaosmagnet like this.