1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shocking Prybaby knockoff!

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by doctag, May 12, 2011.

1. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i think Peters pricing is very reasonable considering his pieces are handmade and that he is a 1 man shop. now getting them straight from Peter at those prices is a different story.

2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The airsoft reference refers to the mass of tactical gear copied and produced in China - sometimes billed as tactical gear, sometimes billed as replica tactical gear, priced for air soft players who dress up like police and military personnel.

A quick Google search for "airsoft" will provide pages of Chinese-made tac gear, some of it blatant copies of distinctive products designed and built by American companies.

Hence the semi-derogatory phrase, "Chi-soft" gear. In the interest of fairness, so-called Chi-soft isn't always inferior crap copied from other designs; some of it is fairly respectable in its own right.

-Trevor

3. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

I get that airsoft is at least partly responsible for fake/rip-off gear. But how does that translate to airsoft being responsible for fake Atwood tools? Despite the forum's outcry against copies/fakes more than a few people love their condor jackets which are direct ripoffs of TAD designs.

4. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Loaded Pockets

Kinda like rappers...

5. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Wondering if this company has any relation to the NAVY tools that have been on Ebay.

6. RexHavoc

RexHavoc Loaded Pockets

This, I don't think Atwood is losing any sales to these knock-offs, Just like a flea-market buyer of a Coach purse was never going to buy one at a certified Coach vendor.

CatfishTX likes this.
  7. neonecko

neonecko Loaded Pockets

The CooYoo T2 is basically an Atwood Tanto Goblin(my holy grail)...

Atwood Goblin
    [​IMG]

CooYoo knockoff
    [​IMG]

8. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

9. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wouldn't call the shot shell a copy. It is different then the attwood glass, after all he didn't invent the idea of a glass or even the idea of a metal glass. Just because he is the most popular maker of keychain tools doesn't mean that anyone else that makes a key chain tool is stealing his ideas. The first tool posted at the start of the thread however is a direct copy of his work. Even though there is apparently nothing legally that can be done, and it isn't really hurting attwood (he will continue to sell as much product as he can make for a long long time) I personally don't by products that borrow on others designs that heavily.

10. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Looks incredibly similar. Guess mine at $85 was a bargain.
    [​IMG]

11. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

They're both too rich for my blood........now THIS is a bargain!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by hatchetjack, May 7, 2012
  12. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Some of the atwood fanatics are borderline insane. It's just a cup machined from steel, of course it's going to be "similar". Some of you may remember the witch burning by the fanatics a few years back against pockettoolx because it had a nut wrench and two notches on the side that looks remotely like atwood, well I hate to tell you those things were made before Mr. Atwood was born.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=-t0DAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA150&lpg=RA1-PA150&dq=one+piece+pocket+tools&source=bl&ots=6fmrYWUSPi&sig=GsTgyL3T_igi9oDpU1b8m3OPolM&hl=en&ei=lkkNTtuZKoq-sQPQi8X9DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

JD Hawkins, TimmE, RonReagan and 7 others like this.
  13. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

tal-c likes this.
  14. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

Just mailed them a quarter. Hopefully I get something back.

blacmud8 likes this.
  15. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

16. neonecko

neonecko Loaded Pockets

How come theres not an unlike button?

You guys act like theres something wrong with whistle blowing when the design is OBVIOUSLY STOLEN. I'm not talking about the shot glass that looks kind of different but the Prybaby and Goblin are almost exact copies! I guess only the music & movie industry actually takes things like copyright infringement seriously. Obviously its a joke to you guys.

17. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but someone mentioned in this thread that Mr. Atwood doesn't copyright or otherwise protect his intellectual property. And as has also been pointed out it probably wouldn't protect him anyway since the laws don't often apply internationally, or at the least are impossible to enforce.

The originally posted product is obviously an exact copy of an Atwood item. In cases like this I don't buy the product because I think it is MORALLY wrong even if it isn't LEGALLY wrong. But that is just my own personal preference.

What we have been pocking fun at is the way FANBOYS of any high end designer product try to take any product that remotely resembles their idols product and tag it as a knock off or fake, etc. What I find really amusing is that the "fraud" products often predate the "original" and were probable the inspiration behind the designer product.

tal-c likes this.
  18. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

:censored:, I want one of those!

19. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

And just look how WELL this works for them! :devil:

I too can't click the like button enough on JZMTL's post.