1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shocking Prybaby knockoff!

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by doctag, May 12, 2011.

1. doctag

doctag Loaded Pockets

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

As long as there's airsoft.......

3. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

There are no laws to protect citizens here in the USA from copyright infringement in China and they know this. This sort of thing has been happening in my industry for as long as I can remember. It used to be that you had a good year before the Chinese discovered your popular product and copied it to undersell you, but now with the internet it is happening at a much faster rate. Frankly, I'm surprised we all didn't see it happen sooner. Fortunately, the atwood artists do have a solid following and there are those that seek out american products due to their quality and artisanship. Not to mention, Atwood stays on the leading edge by constantly creating new products to tempt all you fellows.

4. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Peter's stuff was cloned before this and I'm sure it will be again afterward.

And if that thing really were S30V I'd eat my hat.

5. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

Hey man - that's just the free market at work!! Until Peter can outsource his designs to some 3rd world factory with a CNC set-up, we will continue to be treated to these "homages." They fill a niche, ya know? God Bless the USA and God Bless Capitalism!!!!!!

(from here)

6. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Iirc, you can not copyright a design. You can however patent it. Still, even USA have a history of going "**** you" regarding patents of other nations (tho that was mostly soon after the war of independence, and focused towards UK patents).

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

What do expect its a national thing, mostly they copy others stuff! They've done it for years on many different things! Not to say there are'nt those that create their own things! Not slaming everone just the ones that are guilty of it!

8. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

What does airsoft have to do with any of this? It's as if the entire country of China as well as the knock off industry is all because of airsoft. Just FYI, knock off products have been around long before airsoft

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Gee, I've been so misinformed. Thanks for the calrification........

10. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

Great use of sarcasm, but you still haven't answered my question on what a knock off Atwood has to do with airsoft? Do airsoft players create a market for knock off pocket tools? I play airsoft and have never had the need for a real or fake pocket tool to repair or replace anything.
    Before you say anything, I also own a few real pocket tools, and shoot real guns also. I just don't see how one relates to another. I will admit that I'm sure there is a large airsoft population on the mainland that uses knockoff gear and they have created a market for companies like condor (a company in which many people on this forum swears by).

I just really don't see what airsoft as a hobby has to do with fake pocket tools, please enlighten me rather than post another sarcastic reply.

11. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Knockoff/imitation, yes. Fake, no. To be fake they would have to claim it was a actual atwood, and that would be trademark infringement.

This similar to how one can make sneakers that looks like Nike ones (as long as Nike do not have a design patent, and said patent have not expired) perfectly validly as long as one do not use the Nike name or logo.

12. H2O

H2O Loaded Pockets

That just plain messed up.It doesn't surprise me the way things are these days.

13. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Free market capitalism at work.

14. Expired

Expired Empty Pockets

Somehow I don't think that metric wrench sets in handles, bottle openers, and prybars are new inventions..
    I'm all for affordable versions of things, with the same quality. Sometimes better quality.

Made in America does not always mean quality, and I don't think companies should receive my money because they slap a tag on items.

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Wish someone would do a review on it! Then we would know one way or another!

16. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

17. doctag

doctag Loaded Pockets

I was snooping around and this is the only review I could come up with but of a different Atwood (Ghoul) knockoff.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cooyoo-t2-edc-mini-pocket-knife-8-8cm-full-length-48890

The fact that dealextreme sells them says alot.. They sell many counterfeit knives. I am not against "Chinese made" they do sometimes produce quality for a bargain. There's nothing wrong with having an inspired design from someone else. But this is just a replica of Atwood's work. No effort has been made to make it their own.

18. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

19. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Atwood tools

20. Risc_Terilia

Risc_Terilia Loaded Pockets

I think this is the downside of pricing your items as collectors items as opposed to items of pure utility.