1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shield mag spring

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by GQkudzu, Oct 31, 2017.

1. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

I have a Shield 9mm with maybe 200 rounds through it. The last time I fired it, I could only get 6 rounds back into the 7-round mag. It wasn't that the spring was stiff; it simply wouldn't give enough for that seventh round to go in.

I took it apart and found the spring in the condition below. I straightened it out and reinserted it, and still had the same problem, so I took it apart again, found the same problem again. I repeated this a couple more times with the same results.

Since the spring is bending at the same spot, I'm assuming it's a weak spot in the spring. That makes me afraid to trust it, even with just 6 rounds in the mag.

What y'all think?

UPDATE: I just search other forums and saw that this is a common problem. I chatted with customer service on the S&W site, and they're sending me a replacement spring.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#1 GQkudzu, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    chaosmagnet and Ethos like this.
  2. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Any time you try to straighten a spring you can forget it being any good anymore. That happens occasionally/rarely on M&Ps. Call S&W and ask for a new spring and tell them you can reinstall it yourself.

3. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Dec 31, 2018
    #3 nolaradio, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I have a Shield but I don't have more than 100 rounds through it yet. Other than it being hard to insert a full 7rd mag, I've had no issues. Good to hear S&W are on top of fixing it.