1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shemaghs/keffiyehs

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by kmdesigns, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Tx-Tuff

Tx-Tuff Empty Pockets

Mine is tied to the carry handle of my Rush 24; I think it looks cool displaying it.

2. apache137

apache137 Empty Pockets

love using a shemagh, best scarf on the planet.

3. miller4546

miller4546 Loaded Pockets

Movie stars and Military

I have had one since 97 wore it in the middle east. funny some movie star wears on and now it is fashion. we wore them to protect our face and mouths from sun damage and wind storms and so on . now i wear one as a contractor and spend alot of time in the sand box in middle east .. or tactical training for some type of operation etc.

.. criminal minds , with forest whitaker starts to wear one....... the fashion is DEAD. lol.. just kidding or am i .hmmmmmm

i guess it comes down to do you really need to wear one. i the rear, I DON'T , but different strokes for different folks. unless I am coming home from the range.

4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I just recently found one in a local outdoor shop, pricetag said $30, scanned it and it came up as $10, should have bought 2
    I generally carry a UV Protective Buff, as it packs down smaller and fits in my back pocket nicely.
    Its coming into winter though, and the Shemagh feels a lot warmer than the Buff, so it will get worn when im out in the cooler weather
    Im sure it will work well to keep the dust off my face when im out shooting Car Rallys too

My cat likes it as a blanket too
    [​IMG]

ThornUnicorn likes this.
  5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Curiosity finally got the better of me. I ordered one off Amazon, not knowing where else to order such a thing. Spent some time watching YouTube learning how to tie it and various methods of wearing it. Traditional clothing is a topic I am extremely interested in and it was fun learning to tie it. I am not really sure when I will wear this as I have more than a few Buffs and generally wear those when I need a scarf or lightweight headwear.

The one I got seems nice enough, but it seems to be a bit smaller than what I've been seeing people use in YouTube videos. Mine is approximately 36x36, and some of the ones I've seen in videos look like they are about as long as my armspan folded diagonally. I feel that the extra length would go a long way for the shemagh to be significantly more useful than the Buff for my uses. Where are you guys getting yours, and what size?

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

double post

7. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

got mine on ebay and it's pretty big. kinda feel weird wearing it sometimes but it does keep me warm. this is what i feel like when i wear it.

[​IMG]

8. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I also got mine off Amazon, cotton in "olive drab" and black, and it's 42″ square.
    I've found it very useful. On cold nights I'll wear it in my room or on the patio as a shawl, or over the head, babushka style (points at bud760's post), and I'll wear it biking wrapped around my face and ears. When the sun's out, I'll occasionally wear I've worn it trailing under my helmet or hat to protect my neck. I actually made a Turk's head neckerchief slide out of olive drab paracord, and I'll wear it scout style while hiking.
    On a recent weekend camping trip I forgot all my outerwear (I was very disappointed in myself). No hoodie and no rain shell. So of course it rained. But the shemagh over my shoulders gave me an extra layer of protection, which I could also wring out and lay on stones next to the fire more easily than a shirt.
    (Side not: I have a hilarious v-shaped sun-burn on the front of my neck. I guess I missed the neck when I was applying one day, and the shemagh protected everything except right there, between my chin and the hollow of my throat.)

I'd definitely like a similar weight in a merino wool/silk blend. Apparently the most traditional ones are cotton/wool.

Edit: I almost forgot a favorite use. I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep, especially if it's light. But I've stopped EDCing a sleep mask because the shemagh, folder over broadly and tied loosely, almost does the job better.
    It's too bad that it's actually not very good as a towel. Fortunately, I have an MSR "PackTowl" for that.

9. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I have a couple real ones that my dad got in the West Bank while working on a movie in Israel about ten years ago. I don't wear them, though. I also had one of those "tactical" ones in a desert-y color for a while, but gave it to a friend. It made a nice scarf, and helped when wearing a tac vest back when I was into the airsoft thing. I actually wouldn't mind a plain one, they're pretty comfy and useful, but I'd rather not have the political connotations.

10. epm357

epm357 Loaded Pockets

I got mine from US CAV. It stays in my EDC pack/go bag. I used it to wipe sweat from my face on the couple of 100 degree days here in Pa.

11. BrownMajik

BrownMajik Empty Pockets

I fold mine flat fir the backpack or laptop bag. Thry were popular with the kool kids in tomyo do i actually wore a black n white one in the city when i lived there. I never go anywhere without one. 101 uses.

12. Risc_Terilia

Risc_Terilia Loaded Pockets

What do you perceive those to be?

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

This thread has me thinking about getting one of these. My wife has a couple of sarongs that I got her for a trip to the tropics and she has gotten a lot of use from them - swimsuit wrap, towel, nightgown, blanket, head covering in the rain, picnic blanket, beach towel, etc. A big square of cloth can be very useful!

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get a men's sarong in a neutral color?

14. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

don't know about coulors, but I seem to recall seeing cold steel sold them. which struck me as odd.

15. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Just searching on the web but this looked promising: http://www.allsarongs.com/category-s/108.htm

I had a sarong on various trips to tropical islands. Very practical indeed!

16. srm450v2

srm450v2 Empty Pockets

I keep one in my bail out bag and one in my edc bag. Indispensable, imo. They see the most use in cold weather.

17. Routa

Routa Loaded Pockets

My shemagh sees most of it's use in the -20 Celsius weathers when I'm commuting by bike. Covers from wind and keeps my face warm!

18. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

i get mine from hipster stores. It was all the rave in Europe last winter, all the cool kids had one on. They are really cheap anything over 10 bucks is not worth it.

19. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

The fact that they're large enough to be used as a shawl came in useful again today.
    My friend was wearing clothing appropriate to the ridiculous temperatures earlier, which was less appropriate as it started to cool down into night. She started complaining of the chill, so I pulled the folded shemagh out of my bag, and she was warm enough till everybody went home.

EDC: One of the best reasons to be prepared is because so often, others aren't.

ThornUnicorn likes this.
  20. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets