1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shemagh

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by RAM.45, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

I used to use one for paintballing and airsofting. but Its been years, I liked it alot but never felt like it matched my wardrobe whatsoever, and knowing ppl I would most definitely have been looked at funny. But they are cool!

2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

With regard to the first part, it reminds me of the "is MOLLE too tactical looking for EDC" debate. I think it really depends on your location. Out here in the sticks, no one would bat an eye at the shemagh. As for the second part, that may be true during the warmer months, but the shemagh eats the bandana's lunch once the the temps drop and the wind picks up.

Don't worry, it just that your head has gotten BIGGER. Try these, they are 27" x 27", whereas I think the standard size is 22" x 22".

Well, for the second time in ten minutes, I can't provide a link. This time to Amazon. Just Goggle "oversized bandanas" and you'll get there. I looked and didn't see it, but there must be a new rule about links.

K3X and socaldsal like this.
  3. Grinch

Grinch Banned

You would think by the 4th page there would be at least one picture !!!!!!!:ninja::rofl_revamped::smug:

khclarkson, T.H.Cone and SAKplumber like this.
  4. the_element

the_element Empty Pockets

Really useful item. For me it's a little bit big for a casual wear, but in the nature is perfect.

Tip: If you sleep in a sleeping bag in a cold weather, the only exposed part of your body is your face. You can cover the entire face with the shemagh and form something like a mini tent for your face. The material of the shemagh is breathable, so you have enough oxygen, but air in the “face tent” is warm and protects your nose and eyes from the cold.

Blair and Froley like this.
  5. cyborg89

cyborg89 Loaded Pockets

i like the tad gear shemagh

6. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I seen one today at a local Army surplus store it was a Rothco what a cheap piece of cloth I could see thru it, first time seeing one but I expected them to be heavier.

7. voxnox

voxnox Loaded Pockets

I'm not Arab nor am I a deployed 'operator'.

So no. I think they are stupid.

Barrel and TDS like this.
  8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

This must be why you see so few ball caps, there are so few professional "baseball players".

9. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

Rothco stuff is pretty cheaply made... I made the mistake of buying a Rothco backpack. The stitching came out after two weeks on the main zipper and the whole zipper started pulling out. I stay away from anything Rothco now. Rothco paracord is the WORST.

10. jimbogregs

jimbogregs BST/Marketplace ban

I'm not Arab nor am I a deployed "operator".

So yes, I think they are cool.

swany66675, RoadWizard, Blair and 4 others like this.
  11. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I was at Fort Drum last month and they are selling Rothco and Condor in their little mall there.

12. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I'm not Arab, nor deployed as an operator. I was super Tier 1 Delta SEAL Ranger back in 'nam, '88 as a Space Shuttle Door Gunner.

But seriously, they make a very useful article in your kit.

13. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

Aren't they supposed to be thin when not folded? If I recall correctly, they're not supposed to be thick anyway because of the environment they come from. They would need to be thin to allow the air to flow through it and just add another layer between the user and the sun. If you need it to be thicker, I guess it would just need to be doubled up/layered so that less wind gets through and more heat is retained.

JW Pratt and pacrawshaw like this.
  14. Grinch

Grinch Banned

Here is a freak-en picture of a shemagh :tongue:

[​IMG]

15. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I don't know what they're suppose to be, the one I seen wasn't as heavy or as tight a weave as a bandana

16. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Yeah, mine are pretty loosely woven. I believe it's a deliberate feature... ...they still keep my neck and face warm in the middle of winter.

You can get them in a bunch of different colours and patterns for those that are worried about being profiled...

pacrawshaw likes this.
  17. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

I'm fairly certain they're supposed to be loose and light because they were designed for an arid desert environment. The loose fibers means that air can travel through them more easily, aiding in the evaporation process and just generally cooling you down. Light materials are used so that it doesn't stick and weigh down on the head/skin, making it warmer than needed, and if the material is already warm because of just prolonged exposure, at least it's not heavy on your skin, making you warmer and retaining your sweat to stick to you even more, as opposed to light materials that will dry off more quickly. It's all about where the object comes/originates from that determines its construction and design/function. Shemaghs hail from the Middle East, obviously do well there, and are meant for those climates. Just because they're not like bandanas does not make them any less useful or inferior. And I think Rothco and Condor can be let off the hook in this situation, because I'm sure that a TAD shemagh would be just as loose and thin because that's the original design.

ThornUnicorn, JW Pratt and pacrawshaw like this.
  18. voxnox

voxnox Loaded Pockets

They make these things called scarves.
    [​IMG]

Hammer-V6 likes this.
  19. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

A shemagh works better for improvised cargo handling duties. ...and I'd rather be looking like someone in a shemagh than that... ...effete, manicured fashionista.

Haha, what is with all these folks with a hate on for the shemagh? Mine is black on black. It looks like a black... ...scarf. But is more versatile.

20. voxnox

voxnox Loaded Pockets

You use it to handle cargo? I dont understand.

And it doenst have to look effeminate. It just depends on your style. Think of early 1900s urban gangster dapper look and not "manicured fashionista".

Of course you will look bad if you have a stupid look on your face like the previous pic i posted.

He doesnt have a stupid look on his face, much better

[​IMG]

K3X, thePlumbah and jeepsrjason like this.