1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shelta Seahawk (Boonie type) Hat on the Way. - Quick Update With Pictures.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Wishoot, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Kind of excited about spending too much money on this piece of clothing.

For years, I've cursed the floppy brims on every boonie type hat I've owned. The slightest breeze will send the brims blowing up (letting the sun pour into your eyes) or down (blinding you). I've resisted Tilley's, because they look absolutely stupid on me and I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a sun hat.

Did a bit of research and came across the Shelta Seahawk.

Should have it within the next few days.

Anyone else have experience with this brand?

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Arrived today. Super quick shipping...

I think I'm really, REALLY going to like this hat. The specs on it are great including SPF 50 which is very important to me. Of paramount importance is the very stiff brim that holds it shape and position. Although I haven't had a chance to test it outside (we have sub-zero wind chills today), I have no doubt it will hold up to strong wind.

One of the cool features is a stash pocket. Another is the removable cord system. Size can be adjusted somewhat with a cinch in the back. Normally I wear a large hat, but I ordered a L/XL size and I'm glad I did. With a slight adjustment of the cinch string, it fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This hat will be used for hiking, boating, disc golf, target shooting and general home landscaping activities. I really think this will be perfect for all occasions.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wishoot, Jan 25, 2019
    #2 Wishoot, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    ran23, Mark_Trail and That Movie Guy like this.
  3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I like it. Aside fron the no flop brim, the general brim shape (not circular) appeals to me. Unfortunately, too pricey for me to give it a try.

Wishoot likes this.
  4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

When I factored in how much I've already spent on failed attempts (well over $100 on various boonies), I figured this would be a good, and hopefully, long-term solution.

5. Blaker55

Blaker55 Loaded Pockets

I own two of the Shelta's, both the same model, with the wide sides and more boonie like cap on it rather than the rounded cap. I also have Tilleys that I like, but these Shelta hats fit the bill for many of my needs. I am a fan.

#5 Blaker55, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Wishoot likes this.
  6. malada

malada Empty Pockets

They are somewhat addictive.

I now have 3 seahawks. Grey, Camo and OD. Love them all.

Also have one neck shield that will fold up and fit in storage pocket.

Wishoot likes this.
  7. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

Please keep us updated thru spring winds and how it works! We had gusts to 35 yesterday. I need a new non-floppy hat for golf.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I thought about it, but opted for a gimme ball cap & some more .223 brass

Wishoot likes this.
  9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Finally had an opportunity to wear this hat. First time was a couple of weeks ago during a sunny, windy day of disc golf. The hat did everything it was supposed to do. Kept the sun off my head and out of my eyes. The brim stayed put regardless of how hard the wind was gusting. It's so light and comfortable, you don't even know it's there.

It's a winner folks.

Tesla likes this.
  10. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

After seeing this post I went to the Shelta Hat website to check it out. I was hesitant at first to purchase due to the price, however I did wind up purchasing this sun hat. Well I have worn it on multiple occasions now and think it is the best sun hat I have ever bought. Using it on extended bike rides, sitting in the pool and around the house. Also works well for a skeet shooting hat in the very hot south Florida sun. My prior sun hats had the floppy brim that were always extremely annoying to use as it was a constant battle of pushing up the front brim. It is a very comfortable sun hat that works really well for a bald head. Of course, the real key to the hats utility is the firm front brim. Real glad that I went ahead and purchased this for summer. No connection to this product just a happy customer. Thanks Wishoot for the initial post.

Wishoot, echo victor and amdmaxx like this.
  11. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

Me too! I had been on the fence, but jumped in the water yesterday on their website. Shelta Firebird v2 in SB Camo ordered 2:20 pm May 27th. Shipping email arrived 5 minutes later. USPS picked up 4:19 pm May 28th due to Memorial Day. Should arrive Friday the 31st. Great Fast Service.

Trip to lake with kids scheduled June 1st, so I can give it a swim. Keep you updated!

Wishoot likes this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

So far, I've used this hat for landscaping, hiking in Arizona heat, hiking in buggy Wisconsin, disc golfing and fishing. Keeps the sun off my head and the brim stays put regardless of how much the wind is blowing.

LOVE THIS HAT! Works like a CHAMP! I may just buy another one just in case.

echo victor likes this.
  13. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Update- Still love this hat. I wear it constantly during the warmer months and it does everything it should do. Just got back from a week of hiking and kayaking Southeast Tennessee in scorching heat and sun. The brim is absolutely ideal for lake conditions. Even with the strongest of breeze and wind gust, the brim will not yield. Head, ears, eyes, nose are well protected (for the most part).

I may just splurge and buy another style.

14. chris975d

chris975d Empty Pockets

Sheltas are great for golf, as they have models with varying brim widths for golfers worried about the brim interfering in some way with the top of the backswing, or the follow through. They were developed for paddle boarding (the slim side brim models, but the concept held true for golf too) I realized this several years ago and contacted the owner of Shelta to inquire about selling them in my proshop (I’m the GM of a golf course). Long story short, I became the first golf course to stock them and they’ve sold very well once we show and explain the advantages. Golfers will pay $100+ for Tilleys, and Shelta is better in pretty much every way at a lower price point.

Wishoot, READYSETGO and echo victor like this.
  15. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

Have had mine for a year now and still my favorite sun shielding hat. Been wearing it daily primarily for bike riding in the summer heat and when in the pool. Especially good for a bald head. Actually just gave it a wash for the first time per their directions and it got very clean again.

Wishoot likes this.
  16. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I may be ordering an Osprey model today.