1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

shell shock

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Dilla, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Dilla

Dilla Loaded Pockets

I have always work a shell of some kind. Some are known as windbreakers while others are considered rain gear. The shell works for me as it fends off dog hair and seems to go with anything I wear. It seems that the new models (North Face, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Marmot) are all white on the inside...which shows from the back when the hood is not in use. Also, nobody seems to make anoraks anymore. Any ideas on current shells that are the same color inside and out? Non-insulated...just a basic nylon shell. An anorak style would really be nice to find. The North Face anorak I have is so old it looks like it has leprosy ($35 new in 1999...before the brand became a fashion piece). Thanks.

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have a Sasta windstopper anorak, which is uninsulated, but it has mesh lining on the inside.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Columbia I got at Cabela's. Its really a rain jacket...doesn't breath well at all. Also has a mesh liner, except for the sleeves.
    Its decent. What I really miss was the straight nylon shell that I had as a teen. It had a large pouch type front pocket with a velcro closure that the jacket would roll up into for storage. It was like having a travel pillow that doubled as a windbreaker.:)

gibbsrule9 and riot like this.
  4. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Check First Ascent BC-200 great shell and a good price. They have other awesome stuff too.

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The white on the inside is because all cheaper hard-shells these days use a similar waterproofing method -- a polyurethane laminate… which is, you guessed it, white.

Any hard shell jacket that is based on Gore-Tex will not have the white interior, as Gore-Tex Paclite has a coating that makes it dark grey and the other Gore-Tex types have some kind of fabric backing.

6. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

LL Bean brought back their Mountain Classic Anorak last year and they're still for sale. I had one of those in red Supplex in high school and it lasted forever.

7. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I have a shell for uk mountaineering/winter climbing made by Marmot out of Gore Tex Pro. The inside is darkish grey, but to be honest it's way overkill for daily use. I got it more than half price, but still cost me the best part of £150. However, when I'm out on the hill and it's freezing cold, hammering it down or snowing/sleeting/hailing/raining sideways, it's work every penny.

8. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I had one of those windbreakers too! I wish I could find one now!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. flatblackcapo

If you can find the First Ascent Rainier storm shell it is a great jacket and grey on the inside. I think they are discontinued this year but I think Whittaker mountaineering still has a few.

10. Dilla

Dilla Loaded Pockets

Thank you all. I must say that the one thing I do like on the newer line of shells is the addition of pit zips.

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Jason C

Jason C Loaded Pockets

If you can afford it, these guys have some nice gear.

Fjallraven Anorak-no-8

12. huntingbuddy

huntingbuddy Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a Vertx Softshell for $129 with free shipping. Its made by Arc'teryx and great quality. You could spend a lot more and of course less, but for what it is I think I got a deal. I just checked and inside is same as outside and it is fleece. I got the Gunmetal Blue instead of Black.

13. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Having just bought a few jackets from these guys, I can highly recommend Aether, although I haven't tried their Anorak.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have looked closer and found that the Columbia jacket I have is mostly the white lining on the inside of the body.

What I was looking for when I found it was a ripstop nylon shell. Thats all I wanted. I'd by it now if I could find it. Just a jacket made of one layer of ripstop nylon. Is that so hard?

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I understand what you're looking for, this might be of interest:

lukesultralite.com/content/ripstop-nylon-wind-shell

16. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i don't mind paying a high price for anything i am going to use if my situation requires that i buy something new but in the last month i have found and bought 3 shells from my local goodwill...one old navy/one ll bean/one tommy hilfigeritout/one champion venturedry jacket..

total price for all 4 was 20 bucks and they all look brand new and work just as well as when they were new...

good gear is where you find it..

17. flatblackcapo

That is a good idea Twogunmojo. I Found a North Face GoreTex shell and a Patagonia fleece at a thrift store on the same day! 10 bucks for 300 bucks worth of jackets. I was pretty happy! Those jackets are still in one piece and made it through two seasons in Alaska.

twogunmojo likes this.