1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shaving

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Fabregas485, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

get a bowl you can lather in. build later. fill sink with hot water. plug up sink. place bowl in sink. place brush in bowl. warmth. ahhh....

Fukurai and SAKplumber like this.
  2. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

You could do that... Or you could get a scuttle. You fill it with hot water, and it keeps the bowl or soap above it warm :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

my way is free :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

My way is fancier. And some of us enjoy the luxury. :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think I'll start with free;)

keeper likes this.
  6. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Whatever floats your boat. :p

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Free floats it real good:D

8. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'm a face latherer anyway. I don't need no stinking bowl.

sungame likes this.
  9. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

I just got finished with my first wet shave ever! I unwrapped a Merkur 23C this morning along with a badger hair brush and some Proraso shave soap. After studying a couple of YouTube videos I just went for it. Effortless, super close shave. Literally the best shave I have ever had in my life! Finished up with a splash of Proraso after shave lotion. ( I live in Italy so Proraso is easily found at most grocery markets ) Thanks to all for the good info in this thread!

10. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

So after reading through this thread, I think I'm ready to switch to DE. Straight razor still seems a little intimidating, plus I'm not sure I have the skill to maintain a straight blade. Since the blade is what is actually in contact with your face, wouldn't the blade you choose be more important then the razor? What would you suggest as a first DE razor. I have looked over the list in West Coast Shaving, and I am still confused. Hoping my wife agrees that this is a good birthday present, guessing she won't miss the scruff.

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QYEK88/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=Merkur%20razor&qid=1356569884&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LW4LJK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=Edwin%20jagger&qid=1356569941&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Are both great choices for a starter razor. Both are very forgiving. I personally find Edwin Jagger to have marginally better fit and finish, but both are great values for the razor you get. A brush can be pretty subjective, but this one will give you a good idea of what you're getting into without breaking the bank:

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-2801-h-Mens-Shaving-Brush/dp/B000G647Y8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356569993&sr=8-2&keywords=Badger+shave+brush

12. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

Hey man thanks for the help. I really appriciate it!

Quixotica likes this.
  13. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

It's a fun hobby that even my wife can appreciate. Now if I could only get her on board with the knives, flashlights, and multi tools... ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

My wife is looking forward to this, she says I let the scruff go too long. She rolls her eyes and looks over the top of her glasses at me about my leatherman collection, and how I have to pack everything precisely into my skinth, but she is actually pretty on board with it, especially if she needs something out of my kit.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Just don't give up on it too soon. It can take a while to really perfect your technique. You really have to throw everything you know about shaving out the window. The biggest thing is to let the razor do the work. The weight of the razor will cut the whiskers. If you press the razor against your face instead of laying it on your face, you'll cut and irritate the ****** out of yourself.

The hardest part for me was getting a good lather with a shave brush. It can be tricky getting just the right amount of water and soap together to form a cushiony, slick lather. (Pro Tip: it's easier to add more water than it is to add more soap in the middle of lathering).

But once you get it, it's the best shave ever. And then you can really start to have fun with it. ;)

keeper and SAKplumber like this.
  16. Rocket1

Rocket1 Loaded Pockets

I think I'm going to give this a try. I've been using a Mach 3 razor since I started. It works fine but sometimes I think I could get a better shave and the price of the refills just keeps going up.

The other day my dad was talking about my grandfather using a DE. I wonder if its still around or if he was still using it. I might have to ask my grandmother or uncle about it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

18. wstamper

wstamper Loaded Pockets

When I shave, it is about every other day. While I understand about the lather and the brush you use, all of that is not important if you do not have a sharp razor!!! All the other bits and bobbles are great, but the the razor is crucial. Personally, I do not use shaving soap or gel. I tend to shave right out of the shower when the hair is soft and manageable. Perfect shave every time.

19. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

My neck would be nothing but rash if I tried that. My skin is far too sensitive to do anything like that. I have to have a brush and soap. For some of us, having a good brush and a good soap is just part of a tag team and is just as important as a sharp razor. Shaving is a very personal thing; it's completely different for just about everybody.

sungame likes this.
  20. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Well, the preparation of the beard is the most important. You can have the sharpest razor but if you try using it dry...that's doing to hurt. Bad. Your shower is prepping your beard. Creams or soaps for shaving will make this even more prepped.