1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Shaving Blades...Straight Razor...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Guido Nova, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

How many of you guys shave every day with a straight razor?

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Ballons only.

[​IMG]

Guido Nova likes this.
  3. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I don't now, but I did it for about a year one time.

Are you doing it, or just thinking about it?

4. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

I've been shaving my head everyday since May with a kamisori
    I have a big dilemma with my face : I actually love the action of shaving it, but I hate my face without a 3~4 days beard...

5. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I used to, but I've had a full beard since about 1988.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

I don't shave more than twice a week, I just cannot be bothered, but when I do it's with a straight razor. I tend to remove most of it with the straight then use a safety razor to get it really smooth.

7. Guido Nova

Im just thinking about it now

8. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

My advice: If you are the type that gets into your tools and the care and maintenance of your tools, then you may get into using a straight for that reason. If maintenance of the razor will be a chore, then you probably will not stick with it for that reason.

The other serious point is when you start with a straight you need to concentrate more than usual, and always be thinking where the blade is and where the edge is going. With time your method will get more automated with muscle memory, but you still have to be aware of the blade more so than even with a double-edge safety razor. On the other hand, you may enjoy that part of the experience.

Guido Nova likes this.
  9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I grew up in the great age of disposable 'more-blades-is-better' gilette junk but a couple years ago i made the switch to a straight razor to see if it would cause less irritation and simply if it was something for me. Honestly its really great once you get the hang of it, i can get a great shave on par with the mach series disposable with way less irritation and cost (NOT counting the initial investment) and i really love the whole ritual. It was my day-to-day shave for a couple months but it became a bit of a hassle and a drag and would simply take me too much time to do properly every morning. So i purchased a gilette fatboy with a sample pack of blades and finally settled on the quite popular feather blades and that has been my base shave ever since. I still love to do a proper straight razor shave every sunday or so and now that i don't have to do it every day anymore i can once again enjoy the experience when i do. I wont go back to the multi-blade modern razors or electrics as they cause too much irritation to my apparently baby-skin covered face but the double edge razor has proven a great compromise in cost, effort and time.

You'll only know if it is for you if you try it for a while.

Guido Nova and aih like this.
  10. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

+ 1 double edge razor and blade. And a vintage model can be interesting and the idea of using something your father and grandfather might have used makes it more so. Be careful though. Wet shaving tools and treatments are like potato chips.

Guido Nova and pathwinder14 like this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Shave? With a razor? I don't need no steenkin' razor. LOL. Couldn't resist. I've worn a full beard for the last 29 years...! :))

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Ed G Omitree likes this.
  12. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Here’s one of my nice razors
    I have ever so many

13. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I shave regularly with a straight razor. I have a small collection of them I rotate through. I started about a year ago. I got tired of spending $$$$$ on replacement blades for my safety razor. I don't like the feel of an electric. A straight razor gives a better shave and saves you TONS of cash. Buy a decent razor, learn to strop it, get your shaving technique down, and you're good to go. I'll never go back to other means of shaving ever again.

HAHA...yeah, you can never have just one.

14. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I don’t think this is quite true as far as straights being cheaper than safety razors, if you get into hones that is

15. Guido Nova

Last time I had a beard, I looked like a terrorist! :)

16. Guido Nova

I was looking at some cheap straight razors on Ebay...

17. ParacordMan1220

ParacordMan1220 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Kamisori. There's just something about a traditional Japanese razor.. the Samurai Shave. You can good ones ones on Ebay relatively cheap.

I also like a scraggly beard, so I only use mine to keep it neat

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Don't know how old you are; I assume your avatar is not your own pic. The first several beards I had through college and grad school that's how I looked also. Seems for many of us you've got to 'prune it back' several times before it really grows in well... or maybe its a hormone thing with age...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

Some people just cant grow beards. A few years ago, in my mid 40s I decided that I would grow one.
    I thought that I would look dashing and heroic, like a mountaineer or U-boat commander.
    Firstly I just looked scruffy then, after a week or so, I got to the itchy stage. "Stick with it" they said, "The itching stops". It did too and after 6/7 weeks
    I checked the mirror; There were several colours and it was patchy. Less "mountaineer" and more "bloke that lives in a doorway".

20. Guido Nova

At this point, it would probably be pretty gray :)

BTW- that IS me in the avatar, just a few years ago (OK- maybe a lot of years). I've past the Double Nickel point since then ;-P

Moshe ben David likes this.