1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpmaker is unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by billym, Aug 7, 2006.

1. billym

billym Empty Pockets

My housemate came home from work (outdoor retail) with a "demo" version of a BM 556. It is cool it has a clear handle and an unsharpened blade. Well it had an unsharpened blade until it met the Sharpmaker.
    Just using the grey and white rods as usual plus a little back bevel; he had it POPPING hair withing a couple of hours.
    I would not believe it unless I saw it.
    The knife now has a very fine razor edge; when we looked at it under magnification you could really see a very clean uniform edge.
    This really exhibits the power of the Sharpmaker even without the accessory diamond rods.

2. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

what's the estimated life of those rods?

3. m_calingo

m_calingo Empty Pockets

The standard white and gray rods only need to be cleaned from time to time.  I either use an "eraser" designed to clean the metal gunk off the rods, or just pop them in the dishwasher.  Since the rods are ceramic, I just make sure no forks or spoons or whatnot will clank against them during the cycle, and they should be fine.

With regular use, they'll probably be around longer than most of us here.

4. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Awesome to know! I thought they'd lose their "edge" :p and need constant replacement.

Any good (aka cheap) places to get one?

5. Solstice

Solstice Loaded Pockets

According to Spyderco's material in the Sharpmaker instruction book and video, the white (fine) rods never need replacing, while the gray (medium) rods will need to be replaced in about 3 years with regular use.

6. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

My ceramic rods have been around for years with only a cleanup from time to time... However they can and will need replacement if you drop one from the counter to the tile floor below... shatter like glass... at least mine did... :mad:

7. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Just wipe the ceramic rods with Scotch Brite and you are good to go.

8. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

I'd have to check the video, but IIRC Sal Glesser said they should last about five years depending on how much sharpenig you do.

I've even heard people say they should last 10 years. Every once in a while they might need a refreshing with steel wool. There are also other methods.

9. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Any chance of seeing the clear handled 556? just sounds cool! :highfive:

10. Warrigal

Warrigal Empty Pockets

Love my sharpmaker, I did post this a week or so ago. Like everything else I can think of the 204 works best when it is clean. The cleaner that they speak of in the dvd is "comet" and scotchbrite pads. Here in Oz the brand is "AJAX" As you use the stones you will feel/hear they start to slide not grind you need to then either turn the stones or wash them. Mine grey stones are four years old ( this set) and they will need replacing soon ( I do use it a lot) Yes the white stones look brand new after cleaning. I also got a set of the ultra fine stones and they do make a difference.
    Have any of you tried to sharpen your vegetable peeler Scarey stuff.
    Carl

11. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I have many sharpeners,
    but I seem to revert mack to the sharpmaker the most.
    Its super easy to use, and does a great job.

I have the original, need to pickup one of the new ones soon.
    My grey stone have seen better days, the middle is starting to have a dip in it.
    But, I have been using it a few years, and have shapred some rather nasty things on it.
    Like old rusted and beatup machetes.

Dont they make one now that has diamond stones?

~John

12. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

They do make diamond rods which are available seperately.

13. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Excellent news!! I'm sold on this little thing.
    Thanks!

14. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Diamond rods aren't always recommended, unless you are reprofiling your edge. I would just try the ceramic rods first. It may be just what you are looking for.

15. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Just fyi, I am not entirely sure the axis dealer demo knives had blades of hardened (or even hardenable) steel. That knife was never intended to be sharpened so it could easily be low carbon or even plain SS steel.

I strongly suspect that blade will dull faster than a chinese butter knife... ;)

16. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I like the Sharpmaker but most of the time I couldn't be bothered to reprofile the edge to 40 or 30 deg inclusive on all my knives. I need a better system to reprofile my blades. I just put a convex on all my knives in a fraction of the time.

17. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

I use an edge pro apex for reprofiling then the SM to maintain the edge and/miro bevel. You can reprofile with the SM diamond rods too but depending on how much your trying to do it can take awhile.

18. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Depends on how much you use them. Mine last for years and still look like new; well almost new but I clean them once in awhile.

As far as the OP: a few hours? You could have saved a ton of time by using a diamond stone rod on the Sharpmaker. You would have a good edge within 10 minutes.