1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpmaker angles

Discussion in 'Knives' started by nicknwong, Jan 22, 2007.

1. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

I have ordered a sharpmaker due to all the positive feedback but realised that it only gives two angles. Can you tilt the knife while sharpening to get a different angle to that of the Sharpmakers. If it would be of any help the knives im going to sharpen are a leatheman wave, sak farmer, sak huntsman, subcom and subcom black and spyderco spin.

2. quietmike

quietmike Loaded Pockets

Short answer=yes. Real answer is more complicated. The sharpmaker is made so you draw your knife downward while keeping your knife on a vertical plane. Unless you knife is VERY wide you could alter the angle while sharpening, but this will be harder to achieve a consistent edge angle. Don't fret I've had my sharpmaker for almost ten years and have sharpened everything from hatchets to fillet knives on it, I'm sure you'll love yours after you have a little practice time on it.

3. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

you can put something under the base to tilt the whole device, lessening the angle, such as one of the other sharpening rods.

4. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Yeh that will probably be the best idea. So i can still hold the knife vertical.

5. Pwallwin

Pwallwin Loaded Pockets

I didn't want to start a new thread for this one question, and this thread seems to be related more than any other!

What angle should I use to sharpen a Sypderco UKPK using a Sharpmaker? I know the Spydies come at an angle between 30 and 40 degrees, so I'm confused as to which pre-set angle to use. :shrug: Thanks!

6. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

in my experience most come at an angle where you can sharpen at 30 from the factory.

mark up the edge with a sharpie, hit it with the 30 degree, and if you are hitting the edge and not the shoulder then stick with the 30.

7. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

If the knife has an angle of anything less than 40 degrees, you can sharpen it on the 40 degree rod settings. What that will do is add a secondary bevel at 40 degrees, and it will sharpen very quickly. Likewise, if the edge has an initial angle of less than 30 degrees, you can use the 30 degree rod setting to create a secondary bevel, and that will also sharpen very quickly. However, if the angle of the edge if greater than the sharpening angle you are using, it will take quite a while to sharpen as you will have to remove a lot of excess steel to "re-set" the edge.

Doraemon likes this.
  8. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

I've had great luck sharpening all my knives using the 40 degree edge setting. That's what Spyderco assumes your knife is ground to. It'll be close, for a general purpose knife. The 30 degree position is for rebevelling knives that have been sharpened a lot. Eventually you remove enough steel that you get into the thicker part of the blade and you need to rebevel, then resharpen with the 40 degree setting. All this according to Mr. Spyderco himself (Mr. Glasser) on the video that comes with the sharpener. He says to rebevel after every 10 sharpenings or so.

Definitely watch the video. It contains a lot more info than the booklet. I never knew about the slots for the 12 degree sharpening. Apparently this is for scissors. He gives tips for sharpening everiything from pinking sheers to fish hooks to axes to straight razors. Very entertaining, if you're a blade geek.

Kevin B.

9. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Yeah :iagree:

You can also lay the stones flat on the back of the case and use them like a regular sharpening stone. I've done that on a few knives that I thought weren't getting sharpened properly using the usual methods. I literally looked very closely at the edge as it rested on the stones, and found where the blade would sit on its previous bevel.

The main thing, regardless of which way you use your sharpmaker is practice. Can't emphasize that enough. The first few times I used it I thought it was a piece of crap, and that yeah something wasn't right. Then I went out and got a crappy couple dollar knife that I knew I could trash without worry and I just kept practicing. Eventually I got the hang of it, and I've become the family knife sharpener now, for better or worse! :D

10. micko

micko Loaded Pockets

Watch out if you have a wharncliff blade,stop before you reach the end or you will take the point off it.I have a sharpmaker but I have now returned to using a stone,I seem to get a better result but this takes a lot of time and practice.

And make sure you use the guard rods every time this will save you a trip to the hospital unlike me :stupid: