1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpie Liquid Pencil: not good

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by powernoodle, Sep 9, 2010.

1. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

There is been more than a little jazz about the Sharpie Liquid Pencil. Being geekoid, I have been looking forward to it as well. I was able to grab a few today at Office Depot, and they are a disappointment.

The idea of the liquid pencil is that it is graphite suspended in some kind of liquid substrate, which goes onto the paper via a fine rollerball. The upside is that there is no pencil lead to sharpen or mechanical lead to break. And according to Sharpie, the written lines are erasable for about 3 days, after which they become permanent. Sounds good.

The reality is that the pencil produces a line of poor quality. It skips, and looks like a line from a pen which is not receiving a sufficient supply of ink. It just does not look good.

It is erasable, but this does not distinguish it from wood or mechanical pencils. And according to Engadget, it never gets permanent as Sharpie advertises.

So, I don't see the point.

At $4.99 for two "pencils", is it worth the purchase so my 9 and 13 year old sons can play with them? Probably. Would I buy one for myself, or recommend them to others? No chance. They produce a line of poor quality, and apparently never become permanent. If a pencil line is what you are after, a wood or mechanical pencil is superior IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom line: its a concept which has potential, but this version has fallen woefully short. As a novelty item, it might be worth playing with for a while. But I can't see anyone using these things in the long run.

2. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Loaded Pockets

Completely agree with everything said, it's good idea with really bad execution.

-Nate

3. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

I agree. I was really looking forward to these as well but they are a disappointment indeed.

4. Mesach

Mesach Loaded Pockets

I too liked the idea of a liquid pencil. glad i saw this before I bought them though.

Maybe they will end up putting more R&D into it, instead of thinking that its just a waste and scrapping the whole thing.

5. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

Completely covers my experience with them. I am quite disappointed with them and ended up giving them to my g/f's daughter for to do her math homework with.

6. Fern

Fern Empty Pockets

I bought them too. Also disappointed. I didn't hold out much hope, and usually when I go into a purchase with low expectations, I end up at least moderately pleased. I tried passing them off to my kids and no. THEY wouldn't even deal with it. Sharpies should stick to ink.

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I bought a pair, concur with the poor writing quality. However, my test sample DID become permanent. Go figure, maybe it depends on paper type/finish.

8. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

it seemed to me that it came off really easily with water... Started off awesome, then got sucky really fast.

9. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

I wish I had read some reviews before snatching up a 2-pack for $4.xx at T@rget. What a low-quality writing instrument. I have to press hard just to get a dark line. Even then, it has "interruptions" in the draw. I've used plenty of hotel ballpoints that write better than this. To top it off, it doesn't even pull off the novelty of looking like pencil writing. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I think I'd rather stick with erasable ballpoint pens like the Papermate Erasermate.

10. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I had the same disappointing experience. The other "erasable pens" I've used before erased poorly but wrote decently. Sharpie has the other problem: it erases really easily but cannot write a decent line. I hope sharpie continues to develop this idea: it could be a good one.

11. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

I also tried these, despite the poor reviews. They skip way too much, and the eraser is REALLY soft. Wound up embossing the paper more than writing on it. Like other posters have noted, they remind me of the eraseable pens that wrote ok, and didn't erase very well. These erase much better, but really don't write well. I like the idea, and I hope folks keep working on it, but this release is an epic fail.

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

13. MacGnG

MacGnG Loaded Pockets

the concept of the liquid graphite is great but the problem i've had with them is that they write on the paper like a pen leaving an imprint, so when you erase there is still a scrawl in the paper, and they only sorta erase the writing. i havent tried the sharpie brand yet cause i wanted to read the reviews. but for 5 bucks its worth a little try.

14. brundlefly

brundlefly Loaded Pockets

Is the Liquid Pencil cartridge pressurised like the Fisher cartridges? If not, maybe a pressurised cartridge could help with the skipping problem but I don't know if the liquid graphite needs to be a certain viscosity to work in a pressurised cartridge. Anyone know more about this sort of thing?