1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening full size breacher bar.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by rickinFL, Jul 1, 2012.

1. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

I am considering purchasing a full size breacher from county comm. I like the idea of sharpening it. I don't have the equipment on hand to do so. Curious if anyone else has sharpened the bar and if you had someone (lawn mower shop?) do this for you. I figured my lawn mower blade also needed sharpening so perhaps i'll ask if they can handle this item as well. Just wondering what kind of look I am going to get...

2. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Just tell 'em you're gonna use it if your lawnmower breaks down! :rofl:

3. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

A friend from Blade, DahlKen, did mine.
    They are made of much tougher steel than most mower blades....ask for an estimate, first!

4. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

I think a lawnmower shop would make a hash of it. Do you have a buddy that works at a machine shop?

Cheers, Ted

5. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I did it with diligent use of disc grinder, belt sander, a file and to finish, diamond sharpener. Figured it I screwed it up, could redo it. Worked out OK, my bar didn't end up an inch wide. ;)

6. FunctionMode

FunctionMode Loaded Pockets

The edge your typical lawnmower shop is capable of producing is probably the same as what the breacher bar comes with stock.

If you want it to perform in similar capacity to a knife, I suggest contacting one of the many amateur knife makers or modifiers on this and other forums as well as on youtube. They will likely, for a modest fee, regrind the edge in a fashion more suitable to daily cutting tasks.

7. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

I emailed him. Thanks.

8. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

I bought a few a couple of weeks ago and painted a few with rust-o-leum, but was also thinking of trying my best at making one a cop tool.

9. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I sharpened mine on the belt grinder at work. I just followed the factory bevels.

10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

All I had was a bench vise and a grinding wheel for a hand drill, with some finishing touches applied via a file. It worked out pretty good. A bench grinder or similar tool would have worked better.

11. admslc

admslc Loaded Pockets

My friend is a black smith in SLC he's sharpened crazy stuff like that for me. Check your area for one.

12. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Hey I really wasn't trying to be smart before, I was just thinking about your question, " wonder what kind of look I'll get?" Lol.
    Now I want to contribute something actually useful! :) The one thing I would be careful of, is the tendency of folks to get impatient when they're grinding and have to remove some metal. I've watched it before, and before I wised up, was guilty of it myself, particularly when sharpening badly dinged mower blades. You go too fast, and next thing you know, you've got the steel glowing red where its the thinnest. You just don't want somebody in a big hurry messing up the temper in your breacher bar, and ruining it. Word to the wise my friend! :)

Jeffro :)

13. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I used a dremel with a stone bit...it didn't work out too well. If I did it again I would use a bench grinder. Cause it's pretty hard steel.

14. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

free job at the lawnmower shop. Plenty sharp for my use.
    [​IMG]

mrlysle likes this.