1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening angle?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by mrtwohands, Apr 16, 2020.

1. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Sharpmaker for me also. Since that system gives you two options regarding what angle to set your 'rods' at, I also got a bevel gauge from BHQ: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Richard-Kell-Solid-Brass-Bevel--16412

I haven't used it yet, but I recently added a Spyderco DoubleStuf to my edc bag, 'just in case' I felt the need for a touch-up on the go. One side is carbide; the other is fine grit ceramic. FYI, I just learned that there is a newer version, the DoubleStuf 2 that has a raised edge for touching up SE blades...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

3. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

I use the 40 degrees inclusive on the Sharpmaker. I really want to try my hand at free-handing. Will do some research on whetstones.

4. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I free-hand. I am too loose/inaccurate so I often scratch the blade. But it is for EDC right? Function over looks for these knives. I use the Fällkniven DC series diamond/ceramic stones. It won't be pretty. But they will get most anything hair-popping sharp.

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

Moshe ben David, A.B. and Tesla like this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Agree...if you're worried about a scratch on a knife blade, you're not using it enough to need it. Nothing wrong with collecting, but pick one or the other.

A.B. likes this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Yes. So what if they're scratched. I do strop my knives though. But that's just to keep them sharp when sharpening really isn't needed. Not to get a mirror finish. In fact, if you strop them on a regular basis you don't need to sharpen them on a stone. Except when you used them excessively without touching up or a nick or something. But that is something entirely different

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Tesla like this.
  7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Right you are. Same for kitchen/chefs knives. Plus, I got two Aogami knives. They’ll always be a little brownish when you work with them. Do I care? Naw. Our blood iron is A OK now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Tesla like this.
  8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I free hand... It isn't hard to hold an angle and you should know that angle before you get started. I also strop my knives after usage. Sometimes I strop to in the middle of using them just to keep them sharp, like when I am opening a couple of dozen coconuts.

Between a stonewash finish or manufacturer's coating on many of my knives, I don't get many unsightly scratches from usage.

In my opinion, scratches from sharpening is just a sign of sloppiness.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

#28 adnj, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

@adnj
    No scratches on the bevel (or the knife) here after sharpening. But I think they meant that knives are made to be used and if they scratch, it doesn't matter...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

This...exactly.

11. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

That said, I do have knives I keep for their mechanical beauty. I have a French folding knife that have not been used to cut anything for the 25 years I have had it. Still brings me great joy every time I handle it though.

A.B. likes this.
  12. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Said french folding knife[​IMG]

THX2008, EMarkM and A.B. like this.
  13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Then I agree. And offer my respectful apologies for my ignorance.

Scratches from using is not a problem for me. As I said, many scratches can be obscured by the finish. As a kydex user, I not accept them, I expect them.

14. Moshe ben David

Opening coconuts? Those husks must put some wear and tear on the blade. How big a blade and what sort of steel do you prefer? I'm just curious; no intent to start doing the same! :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Ah, the Laguiole. That knife really needs some nice cheese and sausage to cut...

16. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

My shepherds like to eat the coconut right out of the shell, so I open a lot of coconuts!

I prefer a carbon steel. I have used $10 machetes up through my Scrapyard 1311 and BB13 INFI knives. I like 10 inch to 14 inch blades for the coconuts. I seem to grab a Kershaw Camp 10 and 14 more than the others for the coconuts. They're made from 65Mn, a cheap Chinese manufactured leaf spring steel.

I tend to strop even though the blade will still push cut. It's much easier for me to spend a couple of minutes after each use.

I do the same thing for smaller blades in stainless and tool steels, too.

#36 adnj, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  17. Moshe ben David

Thanks for the info!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

18. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I have a number of high end Japanese knives and have been cooking up a storm during quarantine. After doing quite a bit of research, I ended up ordering the Kramer kit which includes 400, 1000 and 5000 grit stones. The stones are made by Chosera and are the no soak, 'splash and go' types. The kit was expensive, but so are my knives and I did not want to stint on the stones. The kit includes a bridge to use over the sink as well as a cleaning stone

A.B. likes this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I hate to be that guy, but jumping from 1000 to 5000 grit... You're missing a step. It is going to take a while before you get good results. Then again, I don't know that brand. So maybe I'm wrong.

BklynBoy likes this.
  20. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I saw a review from a sharpening nut named Burrfection on Youtube. He was of the same opinion until he got his Kramer set and also ordered the 3000. He already owned Chosera 3000 and 5000 stones, that was why he also ordered the 3000 Kramer. He said that even thought the Kramer stones are made by Chosera, their composition is a bit different than the standard Choseras. He concluded that notwithstanding his predisposition to going 1000-3000-5000, it was not needed with the Kramer variants. I will give it a try and see what my results look like and may add a 3000 (and a 10,000)

A.B. likes this.