1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpen a lawnmower blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by epicelite, Jun 28, 2010.

1. epicelite

epicelite Loaded Pockets

Can it be done? :|

2. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

It can be done, but I don't believe it can be done by hand, as lawnmower blades are not sharpened like knives....

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Why not? It's just a chisel ground blade. Remove it from mower, then use benchstone, belt sander, angle grinder (with sanding disk!), or whatever you have put an edge on it. Use an obtuse angle, the blade is too soft to hold anything less than 40°.

Alternatively you can flip the mower over and use a lansky puck or any other stone to sharpen it.

4. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

We've always sharpened the things on bench grinders at my house. They don't have to be razors, you just want to get the chips out and get them kind of 'axe' sharp. Follow the original blade angle, and alternate sides to avoid overheating (they can take a bit of heat but you don't want them to start turning colors). When you're done use a screwdriver to make sure it's balanced, if it isn't take a bit more metal away from the heavier side.

5. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

I recall a good demo being shown in the movie "Sling Blade" Plenty of other EDC tips too.

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I seem to remember when I had a lawn it was just as easy to buy a new blade. They were fairly cheap! But if you decide to try it I wish you the best of luck, which I never had much of when it came to lawn mowers!

7. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Although I do think a belt sander would do a better job, so if you have neither piece of equipment and want to invest in something I would go with a belt sander. Plus, you can use it for knives. Definitely on my long list of things to buy.

I don't think sharpening by hand is worth it unless you have a really coarse diamond stone, in which case it could work. Sharpening would probably not be too hard, but getting the chips and dents out would be a real :censored:.

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Use a bench grinder. I get several shaprenings out of a set and at $60 for my blades you can bet if I could get more I would.

9. MainePreper

MainePreper Loaded Pockets

10. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Apparently you have never seen the movie Slingblade.

11. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Yes it can be done. Disconnect the spark plug so the mower can't start, remove the blade, either use a vice and mill file (actually, they're called mill bastards, but the board may block that word for illegitimate child) or a grinder of some sort (belt sander will work fine).

ideally, the blade should be mostly balanced - check this by locking a ball-pein hammer in the vice with the ball upwards, place center hole of blade on ball and see if it balances - if not remove small amounts of material from heavy (lower) end.

Reattach blade, reconnect sparkplug, enjoy a sharp blade.

12. epicelite

epicelite Loaded Pockets

Well, sharpening the old blade is cheaper then buying a new one, rite? :3

13. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have a reel mower and I touch up the blades with my dremel in just a few minutes. It works fine and I also us it to touch up my shears. The dremel is a lighter use tool so it is best to touch things up every month or so, so it doesn't have to work too hard. I find a beer helps too!

14. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

15. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

I use a flat file

16. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I sharpen mower blades with a Dremel while the blade is in a bench vise. Dull blades damage the grass. You should only be taking off a very little metal at eah pass. It takes longer to remove and reinstall the blades than it does to sharpen them.

17. Larwyn

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

I support the blade solidly (a vise works best), then follow the original angle first with a double cut mill file then a single cut mill file. I have sharpened them on a bench grinder but always end up removing more metal that way and the blade is no sharper than when filed. The blades for my mower are not cheap so I try to get as much use as possible from them. Sharpening them with a file works best for me.

18. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Biscuts and mustard mmmmmmhmmm

19. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

That's how I've sharpened mine for many years.

20. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have seen it done quite a few times. That was done with a file to remove any nicks or damage in the blade and bring it back to fairly sharp - remembering it doesn't really need to be razor sharp to cut grass when it is spinning at that speed.

A fairly simple job versus paying for new blades, I know what I will choose ;)