1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Share your outdoor/bushcraft and related pictures!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Phyxiator, Mar 31, 2013.

1. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

I was kayaking and yanked one out of the ground in a shallow part. :p

JPE likes this.
  2. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been slowly putting my bushcrafting kit together, what I've got so far...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Italian surplus pack, 8x10 tarp, Gerber axe, fire kit, bandanna, MSR pot, Kleen Canteen and GSI cup and Ontario RD6. I still need to
    add paracord, gloves, tent pegs and a wool blanket.

I've been walking around the woods behind my house scouting out a area to build a camp, Dad and I have been talking about
    building a primitive shelter in here for several years but it's going to happen this time :p...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hunting for resources, a bit of fatwood and a pine branch I like the looks of for another attempt at a bow drill fire...
    [​IMG]
    There's no flint in the area, but I've got no shortage of quartz...
    [​IMG]

I may start working on a firepit this week, depends on how quickly I get chores done.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

JPE what GB axe model is that? Small Forest or Wilderness?

No Agenda and AK Adventurer like this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice CSM-101! I dig that pack! That is a sweet bushcraft pack.

AK Adventurer and CSM-101 like this.
  5. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

The first, it's the Small Forest axe.

No Agenda, survivorman and thePlumbah like this.
  6. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

[​IMG]

Firesteel beltsheath from Elmores leather ;-)

7. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Recent solo overnight. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

reppans, Nick4305, No Agenda and 10 others like this.
  8. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Man, I love this thread!

JPE & de Vries, where did you guys go camping? It looks like a paal-camping, if so which one, and were you the only ones there at the time?

9. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

We went to Zeewolde, both times.

First time there was one woman and a group of students that are working on a project nearby. Came in around midnight and went to bed. So it was nice to have the fire for ourselfs.

Secondtime there was a group of teeners, about 5 of 6 guys. Had three tents way back in the corner and had their own little fire. A camper with his bike and there was again a woman alone. So again we had the fire pit mainly for us.

Heard from the Vries that he went there before and there were several other people. After our last trip he went and there was a scouting troop. So he didn't use the fire pit because it was rounded by scouts, as I've understood.

Very nice place, I think you know it, don't you? What I like most is the fire pit. Most paalcampings around here it's forbidden to have a fire.

10. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Got busted by Staatsbosbeheer when making a fire to cook on.
    :giggle:

11. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

How much did they charge you?

Here Comes The BOOM and Gallows like this.
  12. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Nothing. Only thing he can do is stomp his feet. And put out my fire.

13. Here Comes The BOOM

Interesting, I don't come across women that are camping alone too often unfortunately, haha.

I am not at all familiar with that area but it looks beautiful there, except for the toilets perhaps :rolleyes:

I am more familiar with Friesland & Drente and have spend some time in the forests near Ruinen as well but it has been a few years since I've last been there.

I usually bring a small folding BBQ when I need a fire that's bigger than my woodgas-stove can provide. It folds flat and is lightweight (not to mention cheap), and it turns an open fire in to a contained fire which often is allowed when an open fire isn't.

I'd love to join you guys next time, any plans for another outing?

Wait, aren't they allowed to fine you..?

Was it an open fire you were having?

14. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, it was an open fire.
    Staatsbosbeheer has been privatised four years ago, so no fined as far as I know.

15. Here Comes The BOOM

Well, that is rather convenient, haha.

Good to know [​IMG]

16. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Are you sure about that? I know in the past they had BOA's (Buitengewoon opsporingsambtenaar, translated that would be 'special investigating officers') and they have the right to fine you. I ust read an article from 2013 about this. Couple of years ago two guys from a fly fishing club I used to be a member of were fined for fishing in a forest pond nearby.

Use the search function on the site of Staatsbosbeheer and look for BOA. You will find that there are 120 employees with the BOA certification.

I think it's up to the person's mood if he'll fine you or not. Circumstances can matter too I guess, like weather conditions, size of the fire...

17. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Don't know if you would like to meet these women. The first one had some anxieties, panic and anxiety attacs or something she told us. Not afraid of being alone in the woods, but more towards people and noise. She was kind of escaping her apartment because of the racket from the upstairs neigbour.

The other one looked more like homeless or stranded person. I even think her stuff was at that place the week before already. Spoke english with a strange accent though.

I too have an woodgas stove, have used it once in the field. Still wondering if a stove like that will be seen as an open or contained fire. Have been thinking about a small bbq or that thing called Bushbox as an alternative to an openfire. Being outdoors to me nothing beats cooking on an open fire!

We have not planned any outings right now. But I told de Vries I would like to go there again later in the year. Maybe after summer when it gets colder again. Hoping that most people will not go out so we will have that spot just for us. Will keep you informed!

18. Here Comes The BOOM

Oh dear :eek:

I usually run away as fast as I can when I meet women like that, haha. Reminds me too much of my ex, I'd rather stay single for the rest of my live than being in a relationship like that again.

Yeah, I saw pics of a very interesting looking stove when going through your thread yesterday but I didn't recognize what it was. It looked a bit like a cross-over between a Trangia and a woodstove to me, who makes those?

I've lived of my Solo stove for more than a month when I was staying in the woods in central Sweden last year. It wasn't permitted to have open fires there at that time (it was too hot & dry when I first got there, I probably wouldn't have made an open fire under those circumstances even if it was allowed at the time) but a wood-stove wasn't a problem according to the lady from the tourist center. If you look around on the internet you'll find that that goes for many other places as well so I feel safe assuming that's a general rule now.

That sounds like a good idea. My gear is still pretty comfortable even at sub-zero temperatures so cold isn't a problem. Please keep me posted on that, I'd love to join you guys. My calendar is open except for the last week of September [​IMG]

19. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Have some experience with a woman like that too... but then met my present girlfriend. What a difference! She likes to be in the woods too. Camping with less luxury is no problem for her. And, maybe most important, she gives me room to do the things I like!!! As you may have read she gave me that butchering and cooking course for my birthday and joined too. Haven't met lot of women that are willing to cut up meat like that! Love this girl!

The stove is a 'no brand' I guess. Ordered it online in Germany but it was sent to me from the UK. Don't know if I'm allowed to name the site. It's that global operating site with branches in the UK, Germany, France to name a few countries. To bad the stove is to big to fit in a 12cm zebra billy can. I've bought a 14cm for this. Bulky but when out with de Vries it was a nice size for cooking the potatoes for the two of us. The stove may be a rip off from the Wild woodgas stoves you can find on the internet.

Here a video on YT...

I've seen videos that this stove is used with a Trangia burner too. That's why I've bought one too. Just haven't tried it yet in this stove.

Will give me more peace of mind using the woodgas stove if it isn't considered a open fire.

Don't know what temperature my gear, or I, can handle. Just one way to find out, doing it. So yes I would sure like to go camping with sub zero temperatures. Snow won't bother me. Just don't like it to rain when I'm out for just one night though.

So I'm for it to go camping. Just have to check my calendar. Think it will be after September though. Well temperatures may have dropped by then ;)

20. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Don't have any photos to post as I don't take them much but I went out with my 3 year old nephew the other day, cycled into the forest with him on the trail a long bike, found my lean to shelter, explored about, saw a deer, saw (smelled) a dead one, picked a bag of chanterelles and threw stones across the river. Good craic.

Antithetik, Joost Heijnen and Gallows like this.