1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sexism on the forum.

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Sep 19, 2009.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Once in awhile it seems like I feel I need to make this reminder to people. This message is not to be critical of everyone but just a few. I just want to make it clear to others that might fall into this group that has of yet not crossed that line.

Females are going to be treated equal to the males. They are not going to be treated better and they will not be treated worse.

Each time I announce that women are going to be treated equally someone comes along and informs me women are different them men. That's true they are but that is just trying to divert things. Don't message me telling me that on average women have smaller hands or that on average they are shorter, this is not the point. Some of the most capable people I have seen at various activities have been women.

We are not going to have the B word, the C word, or the H word out here or anything that demeans women. I have total respect for women, it is my forum and on this issue I am making the rules, please read them before making a sexist comment.

While this might not be EDC related it is something I have seen. I knew a female that could out climb almost anyone on this board. The person I would trust more than anyone else to rig up a line before dropping down a deep hole in a cave was a female. I was blown away at how fast one young 110 pound lady could drag 100 pounds of gear 300 yards doing a belly crawl on uneven limestone in a cave. A girl I knew in Judo could beat our 155 pound started on my wrestling team in high school at wrestling; Cathy was a scrapper at 5/7 and 127 pounds. I watched a trauma nurse clean the table of pins while a big burly police officer was hardly getting started in a bowling pin shoot. I can out walk and hike most people I know when it comes to covering distance fast. I recently went 400 miles carrying an overstuffed backpack but I know of women who could have done the same. Women are not going to be treated as second class citizens out here. When this forum first started some really exceptional people were in this forum and left because of only a couple of people.

You know what, the last paragraph does not actually get to the point and might just be a distraction but I am leaving it anyway. You might be surprised how many women are on this forum, more than most of you would ever guess; I learn of a new one that I was not aware of every week. No I am not going to tell you who they are. Some women on this board are open about it and some are not. I think (really hope) they never get any harassment because of it. Men cannot be lumped up into anyone group. We have couch potato’s, we have very active men. Some of them men here carry stuff to be prepared for a disaster, some carry the stuff they actually use every day, some care about appearance while others do not. Some like classical tool while others carry something a bit more modern some carry things just because they think it is fun, for others it is because it is work. All of these men are welcome here as long as they are respectful. It is not going to be any different for the women. If a female wants a pink handled knife she is welcome here, if she wants to carry a classic knife, that is fine, if she want something tactical that is great. If she has no interest in knives but other things that is fine too. If they are interested in talking about the best way to EDC lipstick, or a gun that is fine. They have every much a right to be here as the men do.

I have one administrator, guess what? My administrator is a female. I trust her and if she has to make a decision I will stand by her on it. She probably has a better handle on what is offensive to women than I do. Think about that before you degrade women on this forum. All the staff are not men and there is a lady on the staff that has access to the ban button and she is allowed to use it. The fact is the staff runs the etiquette on this forum, not me. I may own it but they keep it clean.

I am not telling you how to think but I am telling you I respect women and the rules of conduct on this board are going to reflect that.
    No we are not going to show it to you. When things like this happen someone notices it and reports it. It gets pulled pretty fast as we are not going to have this on my forum.
    If we have to address this again there will be some banning.

2. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi Jon,

I am a guy and I am lazy. We EDC'ers have another extention of who we are. Weather we say we are into emergency prepairdness, or god forbid use the dirty word that has such a terrible stigma "survivalist", most guys are not into being an herbalist,gardening or canning.

Most lady's are naturally better in this catagory and us guys need to respect this, or our jobs when the s _ _ t hits the fan will be a whole lot harder.

I know just how hard it can be first hand. I am a single parent of twin girls and I changed a million diapers, boiled a zillion nipples and bottles, mixed a swiming pool of formula, bathed, dressed and took care of my kids until my girlfriend came into the picture when the twins turned two.

She has been with me now for 12 years. I am blessed, she likes guns, motorcycles, classic cars and even has her concealed weapons permit. These guys on the forum need to hope that when the chips are down, they don't need to do both their jobs and someone elses. Respect the ladys guys and you will never hear "not now, I have a headache!" The men on the forum here to pray that if they are looking, that they find a lady that is into more than making reservations.

Thanx for hearing me vent,
    Cliff

3. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Yep. Women are different to men thank god! That's why this humanity thing works.That they are equal shouldn't even need discussion´, first and foremost we are all human which sex we are is not really important until we get to personal relationships.
    I know that if I am ANYWHERE that I need a good commonsense view of what is going on then I need my wife with me, she has more commonsense than any other two or three people on the planet and I can't think of anyone I would want more by my side in a desperate situation than her, survival or otherwise.
    It is a shame there are not more women on the forum because it adds more depth to any discussion to have the view from both sexes.

4. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

One important note...

Unless you are the result of some ultra top secret experiment, you have a woman to thank for your existence.

5. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi Jon,

well said.

The fact that you even have to address this topic is frustrating. EDCF is an outstanding community, and even here sexism invades, if rarely, with all its destructive effects. Your approach makes complete sense.

Unfortunately, many men won't even notice the subconscious insecurities they have regarding women, nonetheless it shows in their actions and words, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Can those men please be honest with themselves, start to use the stuff between their ears in a constructive way and realise that actually - actually, guys! - not only treating, but from the bottom of your heart perceiving women as equals would drastically improve everyone's situation?

Don't waste your time with focusing on your behaviour for too long, which is only expressing what you feel inside. You won't be very successful in trying to act respectful towards women if you feel otherwise inside.

If you're scared of strong women - which more often than not is the underlying cause of sexist behaviour - take some serious time to look after yourself and allow yourself to grow. You'll be amazed by the brilliance and sheer beauty that you will discover - which, by the way, is also light years beyond the most beautiful body your eyes will ever see.

Cheers,

Matt

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a little curious as to what prompted this thread - the most sexist thing I've seen to date was the issue of pink EDC.

-Trevor

7. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

It's not really worth reliving other than someone said something out of line in terms of both tone and language used.

8. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not to keep this issue or incident alive but...

Simply put...There was a reply to a post...
    The reply looked like an obnoxious phone text between two people at opposite ends of a very loud and raunchy bar...
    To put it mildly, it was extremely distasteful, and totally uncalled for, something that would make you think - do these people know each other, or what??
    Whether they knew each other or not...it certainly had, and has no place in this forum and especially an open post...it would have even been disgraceful as used for an untactful PM, e-mail, or phone call. (Yes, like a double OUCH or OMG!!)

The user base of this forum has Great People in it, everyone respects each other, and get along fantasticly.
    Very rarely does someone get out of line. Thank goodness for us that we have Jon, and his trusted and respectable Administrators, who keep things
    from getting out of line, and going too far south!!

With that said...the only thing left to say is...

"I LOVE THIS PLACE " !!

9. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Thank you, Jon.

10. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I was discussing this topic with my wife and told her that I went to respond with the following several times but didnt know if I should. She told me I was allowed. :roof:

We (men) have a problem with taking things and making them our own. The realities of edc is that the basic concept was founded by women. One only has to look in a purse or a diaper bag and even the glove box to see this truth. Therefore, all we have done is put a label on the practice and started carrying manlier things.

11. landwire
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I would disagree with the previous statement.

12. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Well said Jon.

Thanks.

13. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

Good point! (Tho I'm not sure it's 100% true...only recently have men not EDC'd, in the past, we did it more than women, because we hunted and they stayed home...just fyi) And...nice job. ;)
    -Tack.

P.S. Thanks, Jon, for bringing this up. It's appreciated. :roof:

14. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

I would assume EDC started eons before the 'purse' although that doesn't mean it wasn't started by a cave woman either though.

I am a member of a good dozen forums and from what I see it seems to be pretty standard practice across the internet for women to hide their sex when posting because they will often be harassed. Some guys just go nuts when a woman shows interest in what they're interested in and they can't help but bug her.
    :woohoo:

:(
    This is unfortunate in itself but in the long run I think the response (hiding) makes things worse because it gives guys the illusion that many forums are populated by nothing but other guys.

I used to work loading trucks. After a few years they hired a woman. She could out load one of my buddies any day of the week but he felt she had no business being there. Please.
    This guy also freaked out if he saw a grasshopper and waxed his eyebrows while she was in the marines. Guess which one I'd rather be stranded on an island with?

I also have to say I find exception with comments like women are 'better' at X or guys are 'better' at Y.

It may be true that more women knit for instance than men, and I have zero interest in knitting but I'm confident I could be just as good as any woman if I got into it. I am completely confident I can out cook any woman I know save perhaps my mother but she's got a lot of experience on me.

Saying one sex is 'better' at something comes across IMO like trying to justify a stereotype.
    Its OK to point out a stereotype so long as its obviously such and your not blanketing that to everyone else but it just justify anything.

I for instance wouldn't want to be standard with a woman if she fell into the valley girl/daddies girl stereotype but there are plenty of male stereotypes that would be just as bad to be stuck with. I once witnessed a guy claim he could unlock a car a girl had locked her keys in by busting her headlight.
    She didn't know what to do which made her helpless and useless but doing nothing is better then thinking you know what your doing and doing something completely stupid. What was he going to try next, slashing her tires? :slap: Imagine the brilliant medical ideas he might try on you if you were hurt and stuck with him to save you.

15. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

oh,...........I hope it's a different one than you had two years ago. :armor: :angel:

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

scríbhneoir

She is really a good lady :)

17. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Aw, shucks. :-[

:)