1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SeV Essential Travel Jacket Load Out Pictorial

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by TARFU, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I just received a SeV Essential Travel Jacket in trade from another member and thought I would share some pics of how I expect to load out this very versatile jacket.

Here is the inside lining of the jacket with all my gear laid out near the pocket I expect to place it in...

[​IMG]

The right side iPod pocket is thin enough to control the device via the touchscreen without removing it. It is connected to what SeV calls a Personal Area Network, which is their patented setup for wiring the jacket for sound. The smaller pocket is the perfect size for my multi-tool...

[​IMG]

The left hand pocket is large enough to fit most smartphones including my Motorola Droid. There is also a pen pocket (there was one on the other side as well)...

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up shot of the PAN setup. Once the jacket is wired, the ear buds are stored in their own little pockets when not in use...

[​IMG]

There is a medium and large size pocket to store (believe or not) a small laptop, netbook, iPad or similar device. The jacket has a weight suspension system to handle it, but I personally feel there are better ways to carry those. I will use those pockets for notebooks, field books, maps, personal documents, etc.

[​IMG]

SeV added some other nice touches like a cleaning cloth attached via a lanyard in the glasses pocket...

[​IMG]

And a key keeper in the outside hand warmer pocket...

[​IMG]

A front view of the jacket. Yes, not the most "tacticool" jacket that you'll find, but I like that. It doesn't attract attention and yet carries with it a ton of capability. SeV has a number of other jackets, vests and hoodies for sale on their website. The arms zip off this jacket also to convert it into a vest for warmer climates.

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm very happy with my acquisition. The jacket has 19 pockets total including a number of hidden seam and pocket within pockets so I haven't come close to maximizing it's load-out potential. My only complaint is I wish the jacket draped an inch longer (the sleeve length is OK). SeV doesn't offer this jacket in a tall size and I'm 6'4. But, the fit is still pretty good and the wife says it's a nice looking garment. I'm flying to San Francisco in a month and the SeV travel jacket will be in tow. ;D

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

cool set up...what happens when the weather is real cold or real hot??

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Real hot wouldn't be an issue since this particular jacket converts into a vest. Cold would be a problem and I don't anticipate wearing it here this time of year or traveling with it to destinations north. SeV does have warmer jackets and I might eventually invest in one of those. But here in the Midwest and particular where I live (close to the Wisconsin border or as I like to call it - Ice Station Zebra), investing in a true winter jacket is a must.

4. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

5. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

How well does the jacket and gear settle when sitting or crouching, while putting on (or taking off) jacket, or while fishing gear into or out of pockets while walking.

6. Foxfire

Foxfire Loaded Pockets

Great review.

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Thanks Foxfire. Unfortunately, I might have to B/S/T this. Trying to scrape up enough coin for a new pack and I have a ton of jackets. Size is XXL. If anyone is interested then PM me.

8. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

+1 to this question as well. How does the jacket hold up while walking? The site claims "no bulk" look, but does it swing the jacket around?

9. Television

Television Loaded Pockets

Wish they'd get an Australian distributor as well... If I ever get to the USA I'll definitely be ordering one of their line.

10. comando293

comando293 Loaded Pockets

Prætorian, ZenEngineer:

The no-bulk and weight managment features more or less work as described. Bulky items (liter rum bottles) are obviously awkward to handle, even if they fit in the pockets. It is possible to really fill the thing up, but it would feel more like a combat vest than a jacket. If you carefully fill all the pockets evenly, you should be able to avoid obvious bulges, but you will notice, and any physical activity more demanding than a brisk walk will be very annoying with heavy objects in your pockets.

Accessing pockets while moving is not a problem. The magnetic closures are nice, but be sure to close any pocket you care about the contents of. You will lose stuff.

Another downside is moving all your crap to different carry methods. It will be :censored: convenient to keep all your stuff in the one jacket, and the next thing you know, you have worn the same jacket every day for a year.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Every day except for the days on which in was laundered, right? :poke:

12. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I've got an SeV Travel Vest, and it works great -- up to a point. I've used it a lot when traveling so I can send the vest through the scanner with all my EDC gear. Problem is, if you load all the pockets, you can't sit in a typical airline seat (no, I don't fly first class). Also, I find there are no pockets for small gear like the flashlight I like to have with me. In short, there are too many pockets that are too large to be practical for an EDC vest.

Also, I tend not to use the Personal Area Network for my iPod because it's just too cumbersome, and Bluetooth is making wires less necessary -- and because, as jag-engr said, laundry day is a challenge.

I'm tending more to fewer pockets, but ones that accept Maxped pocket organizers or the like that can be quickly transferred to other garments. Modular packing rules!

13. Patman

Patman Loaded Pockets

I love the SeV stuff, currently have one of the tropical jackets that convert into a vest.

14. soco93

soco93 Empty Pockets

I think this is a cool concept, but I can't justify the price. (Well, the price, and I think the photographer's vests actually look better).

15. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

Me too.

16. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

My wife bought the travel vest for me to use on an upcoming trip abroad. This will eliminate the need for my beloved "fanny pack". I plan on carrying my passport, boarding pass, phone, paperback, camera, headphones, phone charger and a pair of ex officio boxers in the vest. I've made a few trial runs with it, and loaded it up with more stuff than I plan on carrying on the trip. The weight distribution works well as long as you take care to balance the load. I managed to pack compact binocs, a point and shoot camera, iphone, mini FAK, trail mix, sunglasses and water bottle into the vest without looking like the Michelin Man. Wearing the vest zipped up distributes the weight along the shoulders; wearing it unzipped puts more weight on the back of the neck.

17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I saw something like that on a review show, but it had a solar panel on the back.