1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Serrated vs Plain Edge

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hawkeye-, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Welfare

Welfare Loaded Pockets

Plain PM2... I'm too lazy for serrated edge work.

A.B. likes this.
  2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found Cold Steel serrations the worst that ever exsists. They were very sharp out of the box, BUT after about a week they started to roll and dull. I don't believe there's a tool available to the public that will sharpen those narrow and deep serrations. I removed them actually from my knife...

3. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Serrated is fine but there are not too many activities where it is better than a plain edge and the plain edge is more versatile.

4. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

5. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I love my Ladybug Hawkbill H1 serrated. Nothing stands a chance and its easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker.

6. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

the only time i ever need serrations is for occasional kitchen use, so I leave the serrated blades in the kitchen.

7. Harronek

Harronek Loaded Pockets

I tried carrying a SE last Christmas for about a month when I went New Zealand , I wanted a simple traveling knife that was cheap and acceptable to the public .
    Being a Spyderco fan I bought a Salt 1 with SE .
    I lost the knife two days before flying home and I didn't shed one single tear .
    I actually grew to hate the thing over the holiday and was going to give it to my brother who isn't a knife guy and wouldn't no better .
    Sharpening wasn't an issue ( I had access to a sharpmaker while I was away ) and I kept it sharp at all times .
    The serrations are just to brutal on anything that I was cutting and I ended up butchering things instead of making accurate cuts and slices . I found I was trying to use the small plain section on the tip to make delicate cuts all the time and it was a pain in the rear to be honest .
    I think SE has a place though and if I wanted a dedicated emergency - rescue knife ( cutting seat belts , freeing yourself from tangled ropes etc ) I would give one serious consideration , but for everything else there is nothing that I can't achieve with my PE Spydercos .
    I won't buy another , I've learnt my lesson .

Ken

A.B. and camporama like this.
  8. UmbertoTortallini

I have both, I like both, I carry both. One is wife, other is mistress... just-a-kidding Mrs T.
    Fact is each blade type has a purpose & place in my EDC. Thats how I roll.

9. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

My first "quality" folder was a Delica 3 SE. I loved it for yard work, rope or anything involving fibrous materials. It worked reasonably well for all around, but in time I realized PE just cut better for general purposes. Eventually I got a Delica 4 PE and never looked back.
    Every dedicated folder I got since has been PE only. For multi-tools, however, I really like the 2 blade PE/SE choice I get with a Charge TTi.

10. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here in quite a while.

For edc I see serrated as a specialty thing for sure. Rock climbing used to be my life and I always carried a serrated blade. I don't climb anymore and find a plain edge better suited to most of my edc tasks. I still carry a serrated blade when I am on the canoe.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm with you! I can also recommend the Spyderco Tasman H1; also a hawkbill. Very similar geometry to the Ladybug Hawkbill but scaled up. As good as the Ladybug is, sometimes a bigger blade is handy... !

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

camporama, NelsonIII and Tony Sal like this.
  12. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Agree 100%!

13. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

This is really for anyone who has trouble sharpening serrations, but I quoted you since you were the last person to post about it.

I have since switched to using a Sharpmaker instead of the tapered diamond rod, but I still use the Dremel. The results are awesome. There's nothing quite like a serrated blade that's sharp enough to push cut phone book paper. I think 99% of the bad reputation that serrations get are because 1) they aren't kept sharp enough, and 2) the user can't get them as sharp as their plain edge blades, so they give up. This was me a few years ago, but I set out to find a way that worked for me, and this is it.

14. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Plain edge.

every time.

I don't buy black coated blades, and I don't do serrations.

Totally just a preference thing.

camporama likes this.
  15. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Cold steel serrations: Lansky do a dedicated sharpening stick.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  16. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Sir ,you know that only a Randall model 1-7 is Really made to cut flesh.:p

2 Panther

17. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

I see a serrated edge as a secondary, specialty knife.

I have two fully serrated knives that I often carry to compliment my usual plain edge knife.

A Matriarch 2 , mainly for SD, but also makes short work of tough materials that a plain edge will just slide across.

[​IMG]

And, IMHO, the king of serrated knives...an old school right hand tip down only Police.

[​IMG]

18. Ed G Omitree

Ed G Omitree Loaded Pockets

Plain edge with very few exceptions. Easier to sharpen and I don't like how partial serrations look. Main exception is knives like spyderco civilian or cold Steel black talon. I like those fully serrated.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  19. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

Lansky or GATCO actually make a small ceramic sharpener especially for the Cold Steel serrations.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  20. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure why you quoted me here.