1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Serpa Mod-U-Lok Platform

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by cataylor, Mar 9, 2014.

1. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

I am being issued a CQC SERPA holster for on duty carry and was wondering if anyone is using or has used the mod-u-lok platform for OWB carry? I don't want to debate the holster. I am looking for opinions from those that may have actually experience with this attachment platform. Thanks!

2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Interested to see any follow up on this as well. I was looking into it for use as a "fixed" point to mount my gun in a vehicle, or beside the bed, but haven't bought the kit to try it out yet. I can get away with concealing a CQC Serpa while it's cold here, but not sure how much further the mod-u-lock will cause the holster to protrude from my belt vs. the standard setup.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

3. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

It's a decent system if you routinely switch your holster from one place to another. Adding the Mod u lok makes the weapon protrude another inch (and it kind of looks stupid). I bought the system to move my pistol from my leg holster to the front of my body armor and back. You are going to pay an additional $50 for the male and two female links. For that, you could just buy another holster and maintain the lower profile. You don't save any money unless you have at least three different attachment points for the same weapon or you want to use two attachment points with two different weapons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. I just want to confirm we are talking about the same thing.
    [​IMG]

The image above is the product I am referring to. I believe this is only one piece. It looks like it can be had for between $15 - $19.

5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

My apologies, I was thinking of their quick disconnect system, I figured they were one and the same. Looks like I should do a bit of research before I chime in.

[​IMG]

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

atilano likes this.
  6. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

^^^This is what I was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

My apologies as well. That looks like a Tek-Lok. I didn't know Blackhawk made something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

No need for apologies. I appreciate the response. I've looked at their quick disconnect platform as well. The mod-u-lok looks to be lower profile and less expensive. I've heard good things about the Blackhawk Night Ops flashlight holder with a similar (Tek-Lok) attachment so I was just wondering if the mod-u-lok platform is stable enough for a firearm and if anyone has any actual experience with it.

9. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I used the mod-u-lock on a Serpa holster for a bit. I thought it would help me with the daily threading and un-threading of the holster on my belt. I also thought it would be convenient and perhaps a bit safer when Len ing my gun in a locker to interview suspects in interrogation rooms.

It worked well for all that but the overriding decisions to stop using it were: moves to much on the belt, sloppy feel and unavoidable by the design. I also felt a little vulnerable with it. I have fought over my gun twice in my career. A very stiff belt and a stiff well mounted holster combination are critical. I can't stress enough, it's not one or the other. It is the combination of the belt and holster working together.

10. Stinger

Stinger Banned

I've used Blade-Tech holsters fitted with Tek-Lok clasps for more than a decade. The can be fitted with the clasp up, or with the clasp down. I much prefer to have the clasp at the top of my belt because force is applied against the non-opening hinge as you draw instead of the other way around.

The holster - well, at least, Blade-Tech holsters - can be angled either forward or backward, too. A forward 15 degree cant is the standard FBI cant that's usually worn at 4:30 and just behind the point of your hip. A backward (reverse) 15 degree cant lends itself beautifully to a 2:00 o'clock, appendix carry.

A straight up and down mount accepts the full three screws between the clasp and the holster. An angled cant requires only two screws; and, in my experience, two screws is all you'll ever really need. A Tek-Lok clasp can be a little rough on an expensive leather belt; it will slightly mark the leather; but it is, also, very easy to use, and allows either quick attachment, or simple removal of the holster from the belt.

Here, I'll give you some pictures of a full Blade-Tech rig I've worn for years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A word of advice? DO NOT use Loctite Threadlocker on the screws. I, also, use Blackhawk Serpa CQC holsters on two of my semi-autos. I much prefer to use Blackhawk's paddle attachment for these holsters; and, it takes regular, slow 'n steady practice in order to ingrain the good habit of keeping your trigger finger absolutely arrow-straight until AFTER you pass the low-ready position on the draw.

A Blackhawk Serpa CQC is NOT a holster that anyone can just pick up, put on, and begin using well.

PS: Yes, I know the hinge-ends are at the top in these photos. That's the way I initially had them installed; but I learned, soon enough, to turn them around and put them on the bottom; and I'm too lazy to take more photos of how my Tek-Lok clasps look today. Nowadays, I always put the hinge end of the clasp at the spot where pressure is applied as the weapon is drawn.

I, also, realize that Blackhawk's Mod-U-Lok is not exactly the same thing as Blade-Tech's Tek-Lok clasp; but Blade-Tech was first to the marketplace with this accessory; and they are very close in design, the one to the other.

11. Stinger

Stinger Banned

Nick, if you adjust that crossbar inside the Tek-Lok/Mod-U-Lock clasp to grab your belt more tightly, it will snug up the holster for ya; and the gun won't move around.

I do one other thing with mine: I wear a standard left-hand holster ITB on my right-hand side. My pistols are very secure. The gun butts are tight against my side, and never pattern. I've been doing this for so many years that, now, I actually feel naked if the gun isn't pressing into my side. (Sometimes for up to 14 hours at a time!)

Last edited by Stinger, May 18, 2014
  12. Nikos01

Nikos01 Empty Pockets

Have one and I love it. Unlocking it is a little difficult but it will stay on your belt. I like it much better than the standard belt attachment.