1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Seriously? You carry what? Why?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Txparamedic, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I carry several bottles with me; work clothes, car, FAK, manbag, nappy bag. I use it after nappy changes, supermarket shopping trips (money!! Yuk!!!), before feeding the baby/myself. Super useful if you can't get to soap & water. I go through loads of it.

2. DocMartin32

DocMartin32 Empty Pockets

What I carry every day:

Mini-FAK inside my wallet, contains:
    -Gauze pad
    -2x Adhesive bandages
    -4x Butterfly Sutures
    -2x Label tapes (used as either improvised butterflies or tape for gauze)
    -Flat roll of masking tape

Smaller FAK:
    -Pack of Nitrile medical gloves
    -2x Adhesive bandages
    -4x Butterfly Sutures
    **The bandages are tucked into the plastic baggie that contains the gloves

Jacket FAK (3x3 Plastic case):
    -4x4 Pressure bandage
    -2x Polysporin Anti-septic gel packets
    -8x Adhesive bandages (3x normal size, 1x small size, 2x knuckle, 2x finger tip)
    -2x Gauze pads

Other:

I also carry a Polysporin On-the-go Anti-septic spray in one of my pockets

The first two, are very small--I mean one fits in my wallet, and another in the corner of my back jeans pocket. The small case FAK is also small enough to fit into my jacket. So there's no real problem of taking up space, etc.

Why?
    I'm a certified Emergency Medical Responder (entry-level paramedic, taking more courses to become a Primary care paramedic soon) and I've worked in first aid before (still volunteering now for sports teams and events).
    I'm simply being prepared.

3. Reader

Reader Loaded Pockets

I have a fairly comprehensive trauma kit. It is composed of bandaging material, dressings, irrigation supplies and airway equipment.

4. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Purell .5 oz size: It gets used up. I try not to be "germ-phobic" but the .5 sizes only last me about a week.

5. W1IM

W1IM Loaded Pockets

I am a volunteer firefighter / EMT in my town and I am on the Emergency Response Team at work, so I can get called for a medical incident just about anytime and anywhere.

I carry two CPR microshield pouches with me all the time. One has the CPR shield in it, the other has a set of nitrile gloves. I have a small jump kit in my truck in case I respond directly to the scene of a call in town, and a company issued jump kit at my desk at work. While at work all members of the team carry small radios, and in town I have a pager.

Other things I carry that are not necessarily medical related are a Leatherman Charge TTi, Benchmade Osborne 943, Fenix PD30, and a Fischer Space Pen, which happens to fit very nicely in the pockets on either side of the leather leatherman belt case.

6. Kell

Kell Empty Pockets

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is if you don't have any higher certification, at least get CPR/AED certified, and carry gloves, bandages, gauze, and a CPR barrier.
    I'm an EMT-B, so I carry a bit more, but not much. Suture kits should, IMO, only be carried in a country where you expect clean medical supplies won't be available, or if you're trained to use one.

7. AreaWarLord

AreaWarLord Empty Pockets

have to admit I couldn't read all 9 pages, but do any of you paramedics, EMTs of first responder guys really think about what your saying when you say never need more than a couple of 4 x 4 and some roll gauze and tape, its because your on the way to further immediate care, I think a lot of folks that carry sutures and more heavy supplies in their packs is because the hospital might be a ways a way and not a quick ambulance ride code 3......professional medical help might be days away or more .

I think a lot of folks also would rather have the supplies on hand, in case the super doctor comes skipping down the path and finds you laying there after the bear attack over having them rummage through your pack to find nothing

8. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

First aid is primarily about life saving until further help can arrive, preventing permanent serious injury or dealing with minor incidents directly to avoid any need for further care. It should take into account how long that further care can take. Sutures are always a second phase solution as they can wait a long long time before they are needed. Depending on space and what I am doing I carry a fiar bit but I only carry sutures for use in non sterile hospitals when I travel. It's nearly always bad first aid because sutures need to be applied to a very clean wound in a very clean environment if both of those condition exist then you are usually in a clinic or a hospital. Head wounds are the obvious possible exception, but they will still not be life threatening.

9. Kell

Kell Empty Pockets

AreaWarLord - For one, sutures are way above my level of practice. For another, in all of the locations I've been in in the past several years, I haven't been more than a 30 minute code 3 ride away from a hospital, so sutures are incredibly excessive: my FAK is there to stabilize someone on the way to the hospital. That's it, and unless you've got high level training, that's all you really should do... you don't want to :censored: someone up worse than they already are.

Yes, if you're days away from medical help then sutures aren't a bad idea, but I'd still suggest knowing how to use them. But for clarification, my tips are meant for the good 75-90% of people in the US who are regularly no further than half an hour from medical treatment.

P.S. Even if super doc finds you after a bear attack, the first thing he's gonna look for is the 4x4s and the gauze... If you've taken any first aid courses, first things you do are stabilize Airway, Breathing and Circulation in that order (ABC).

10. LilTakkun

LilTakkun Empty Pockets

I don't carry any first aid items. It's called a phone people, use it sometime.

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I always carry Gorilla tape (rolled around itself and or a partial roll), a belt and or a bandanna that can be used for a tourniquet and super glue .
    If I cannot achieve emergency first aid with that then I'm in trouble .

BE WELL .. GH

12. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

LilTakkun: I find your comment to be offensive. Please edit it.

13. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

Believe it or not many of us EDC for preparedness reasons,I can think of dozens of senarios where phones won't do your bleeding bud a bit of good.I live in an area that occasionally has a hour response(not delivery to the hospital)depending on where in the surrounding area you are.It takes 4 minutes for someone to die from a major bleed.Even in a major metropolitan area 4 minutes is an extremely good response time(most dept's goal is less than 10).You of course are free to do as you wish,but even in normal times you can't rely on someone else to save you.

14. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

If they are not breathing or you or they have a catastrophic bleed then that had better be one hell of a phone. Call for help first but in the first 2 cases a priest would be a better use of the phone if you are otherwise going to do nothing :)

15. mvelimir

mvelimir Guest

Saying that your cell phone is your only First Aid tool and relying completely on it, is same as if a boater will say - "I have a radio on my boat, I don't need life-vests, FAK or fire extinguisher."

16. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

In my EDC, I have :

1. Adhesive bandages x 4
    2. Tiny plastic bag x 1
    3. Alcohol Swabs x 4
    4. Panadols x 2
    5. Ultracarbon pills x 2

In my First Aid Kit I have :

1. Cotton Gauze x 10
    2. Betadine cream x 1
    3. Adhesive bandages all sizes x 15
    4. Alcohol swabs x 12
    5. Cotton buds x 10
    6. Dettol small bottle (50ml) x 1
    7. Conforming bandages small x 2
    8. BurnAid Burn dressing x 1
    9. Tape x 1
    10. Ultracarbon pills x 4
    11. Panadol x 6

17. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

When seconds count, help is only minutes away...

also, its not nice to flame or flame bait

18. Kell

Kell Empty Pockets

Don't feed the troll. ^.^

19. SkyDog

SkyDog Empty Pockets

Where do you SKi Patrol?

20. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

I volenter at Eldora Mountain, Colorado. It's a smaller hill probablly a 5th the size of Breckenridge (a resort you might have herd of).