1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Seriously, you all need to start carrying earplugs. Everyone.

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by DollarStoreLurker, Jan 18, 2011.

1. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

NB other forms of sign language are available. Check your own country for details.

2. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

What kind of custom molded plugs do you have? I have thought about these before and looked at Westone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I carry ear plugs in my Man Sack, and they get used fairly regularly. My 13y old asked for them at church 2 days ago, as the music was so loud. You never know when they will come in handy. Even a place like the circus where you don't expect to need them, but the music is so dang loud they were really handy. This is especially true when you have kids and don't want to destroy their hearing.

4. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Wish I had thought of that. Might have saved a whole lot of loss on the divorce.

5. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Have to use the technique of tuning them out, works for me most of the time.........

6. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

If you really do live in the swamp, you probably don't need them. I live in the city, and I should probably wear them every time I leave the house, between trains and highways, it's not the most ear-friendly situation. I also work with loud machines.

But really, one of the best things they can possibly be used for is focusing on one thing for a long period of time. I've got serious ADD issues, and since I no longer medicate, earplugs help me focus on one thing for longer than I could otherwise.

7. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I'm inclined to agree with iacchus here. While "rather have and not need" is a common philosophy here (and not a bad one), the instances of needing ear protection seem much more predictable than other situations needing a certain tool. The chronic need for ear protection is very dependent on occupation & lifestyle. If you need it, you need it.

I think this is true, but the only problem with trying to use ASL is that, at least for me, no one else around me knows it. I imagine it could be utilized to great benefit in noisy environments like construction sites. In fact, I've read a story of someone's construction crew adopting Sign to communicate on the worksite when speech doesn't work.

8. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Hah...do you doubt the veracity of my claims?
    Yes, I live in the swamp, surrounded by woods, marsh and river on all sides.
    I get what you are saying, and you make a decent point. I just think you were a little too broad with the title of the thread. Some of us live fairly sedate, quiet lives.
    Honestly, in many situations, reducing my hearing could be hazardous.
    Environments differ from person to person. Some of us should probably carry and use earplugs more often. Others of us have little need.
    We are agreed, though. Hearing is important and should be looked after.

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Because if you ride the train, plane, etc., it might be the only thing that stands between you and jail. :laugh:

Why people feel the need to broadcast their lives in close proximity of others by having hour-long cellphone conversations on mass transit still eludes me. Likewise, MP3 players that you can hear from several rows/seats away.... on a moving train.

ATB,
    Sam

10. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Understandable, if I rode in planes or trains or used public transportation. We don't even have local transportation.

11. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

ACS custom moulded. I used HEAROS for a while but they were quite muffled and caused wax buildup due to sweat & heat.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have a few sets of the ER-20 Musicians earplugs that I wear regularly, but tend not to actually EDC...

My main need is in live music - I love music, and love gigs, but as a teenager quickly realised that coming home from a show with ears ringing was going to leave me with a big bill in later life, and ruin future gigs and music for me. After trying a couple of different types with universally crap results I found the ER-20's which are near perfect - MUCH flatter response than generic foam ones and other cheap brands (which you need for music), reusable, and pretty :censored: cheap for what they are too. So every gig I go to now i have a set in my pocket, especially when I get the opportunity to attend as a photographer and get right down the front - walking 2 feet on front of the pa stack pumping out enough volume for 40,000 people is definitely an experience, and not one I would do with unprotected ears.

I am happy to say that I now have a few friends packing earplugs for shows too.

As for the rest of life, I will have to admit I don't generally bother, even if there is often a set in my bag - I find that I am rarely near loud noises for any extended periods, so the earplugs stay generally unused other than for planned events.

13. benissocool

benissocool Loaded Pockets

I have always had earplugs in the shop and used them when running power tools and lawn equipment.

I recently threw a pair into my EDC bag while packing for a trip to Disney. I left them in the bag when we returned home in December.

Last week I was out of town at a training class and shared a hotel room with a colleague who snored like a jet engine. At about 1am while pondering ways to smother him without having to do time, I remembered the earplugs!

You just never know when you'll need them.

14. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wish more people would wear them. The insidious thing about noise-induced hearing loss is that permanent damage is frequently done before the person knows it! Good rule of thumb - if you're standing three feet away from someone and you have to raise your voice to be heard, the noise level is probably above 85 decibels (where damage begins). Put 'em in!

15. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Like any equipment, its better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it. ;-P

16. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

If I was in a situation like that, I would simply play music, an audiobook or a podcast on my own iPod. Some good canalbuds with dual or triple-flange silicone tips block a lot of noise, and it takes low volume to mask the rest. I'd rather listen to something than nothing. Ear plugs have their uses, but a public situation isn't one of them.

17. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, Jan 26, 2013
  18. spaceman

spaceman Loaded Pockets

I have them in my bag, but mainly because I don't bother unpacking them when I get back from a trip (ear plugs + eye mask can be essential when traveling!)

19. lefty556

lefty556 Loaded Pockets

I keep a set of SureFire EP4's in my ruck and a set in the console of the car. Never know when I might go to the range.

20. ncpilot

ncpilot Loaded Pockets

Always a couple in the car for quick use when first opening the car door at the range... and a use kinda mentioned... planes--I use them religiously while flying commercial, way less fatigue after the flight (used them under my noise reduction headset when I flew general aviation).